Finally went to the dentist

Further

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Anytime you can be happy at the dentist is a plus :)

I went to HS w/ my hygienist, so she's my age. And we joke around & such, talk aboot HS.  I wouldn't say I enjoy going, but it's pleasant. And I like my dentist a lot. Great guy.

I like mine but he's not cheap. It makes me cringe abit what I should do when I retire. :huh: He and staff are impressed with my health/fitness.  Meaning because I bike (which I have to their clinic over the years) and probably because I'm slim for my age. 

He has expensive latest technology. I just got a full wrap-around xray of my jaw....which I saw my skull,....it's REALLY creepy to see my self...probably when I'm dead.  Looks like very small skull and bone-wise.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I like mine but he's not cheap. It makes me cringe abit what I should do when I retire.

He has expensive latest technology. I just got a full wrap-around xray of my jaw....which I saw my skull,....it's REALLY creepy to my self...probably when I'm dead. I look very small skull and bone-wise.

My dentist can make crowns in house. It's great because there is no temporary, then needing to come back for the permanent. Its a neat milling machine. He let me watch it. Takes about 25 minutes to machine the crown.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

My dentist can make crowns in house. It's great because there is no temporary, then needing to come back for the permanent. Its a neat milling machine. He let me watch it. Takes about 25 minutes to machine the crown.

Not sure if mine does that on-site.  In the tiny reception area, he has ongoing video of someone doing dirt mountain biking on some long, twisty trail somewhere in the mountains.  He has talked about cycling with me. I know in the summer, he bikes homeward on a river bikepath from downtown.

• Awesome 1

I got lucky with the new dentist down here. He is a little older, but very up-to-date on technique. Most of the staff is younger women. Of course at our age most of them are younger! All very personable  

He didn’t make my crown on site, but sounded like a sister location nearby made it. I have good insurance so it has not been an issue. 
WoW needs an implant. One of her friends just got one in Mexico. We are waiting to see if it holds up ok. She needs to build up her HSA a bit even for the Mexican rate, but it is waayyy less than she has been quoted here which was far less than back in Nebraska. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

I completed  the transition from the one I had been going to my whole adult life. I finally switched because every visit seemed like another crown, so I beat feet. I had been thinking aboot switching to one right around the corner from me instead of over the $5 bridge to PA. The original dentist at the first one was long gone, and then the whole staff seemed to change including the hygienist I liked a lot. 

• Hugs 1

10 hours ago, Further said:

Went back to a practice I went to about 20 years ago. I think I left them because my insurance changed. I liked them back then and I like them now.

The hygienist is the same girl from back then. She is a bit older but even nicer, getting my teeth cleaned felt like coming home.

The Dr. is new, a rather young girl, I like her. She was very diplomatic about the state of my teeth and went over the options, with money a key.

Seems like a root canal and cap, two extractions are in my future, less than two grand. The last place I went to wanted thirteen grand for a bunch of implants. I felt like I was at a car dealer, those fuckers were hard sell..

Any way I'm pretty happy about this.

Great!  It is pretty eye-opening the difference!  My new dentist said I didn't need a crown so he just redid the filling.  Of course if I am wearing my cynical hat that could just have been a "loss leader" to get me as a patient and he could be lowering the boom later.  But I will put on my trusting hat and hope that he is just being honest which should certainly be the norm for a health care professional.  I think the old place may have a corporate influence to sell, sell, sell, sad as it is to think that.

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, groupw said:

WoW needs an implant. One of her friends just got one in Mexico. We are waiting to see if it holds up ok. She needs to build up her HSA a bit even for the Mexican rate, but it is waayyy less than she has been quoted here which was far less than back in Nebraska. 

I have heard a bit about going to Mexico for dental work. Apparently it is fairly common.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Corporate dentist.   :angry:

Medicine has become such a scam business supporting the boat building industry.

Truth… I went to one once when my insurance changed. My daughter just had braces removed and they told me she needed braces.  They would discuss options with you lying back in the chair and not explain everything, next thing you know you signed for a huge bill. 

My insurance changed again and I need to make sure my dentist is on the plan. I love my current dentist.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Truth… I went to one once when my insurance changed. My daughter just had braces removed and they told me she needed braces.  They would discuss options with you lying back in the chair and not explain everything, next thing you know you signed for a huge bill. 

My insurance changed again and I need to make sure my dentist is on the plan. I love my current dentist.

Oh boy. The orthodontist we used on a  recommendation was both a scam artist and incompetent. :angry: Horrible experience. 

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Oh boy. The orthodontist we used on a  recommendation was both a scam artist and incompetent. :angry: Horrible experience. 

I think if you look it up that is the definition of an orthodontist. They also take great joy inflicting pain on little kids and making them cry.

• Sad 1