Watching me make more money

donkpow
Go to solution Solved by Further,

While I am waiting for a pull back in the market, I'll give you a peek into my order book. You know I sold Ford on a jump. It continued to go up after I sold it but I never regret taking profit. "I'll take the money, Monty." 

So, anyway.

I bought some PLTR last month. I never know what PLTR is going to do. Armageddon could come and PLTR would go flat. If I get tired of holding it, I'll sell it at break even.

AMBP on a tip from the television. Bought it, sold it at a profit. Quick turn around. I have one stock left in case it pulls back. I expect this one to grow for the next six months.

I'm looking at RXO with an order to buy one stock. I'm on sector watch with this and it is just outside the norm in it business operations. It's a spinoff from, I believe, GXO. I don't expect to profit directly from RXO.

If it plays out according to my plan, IMAX could yield some profit by June. I need the price to pull down before I buy it.

So there you go. Pocket change, better than lint.

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things aren't moving the way I expected so I am changing a few items. 

Still making some nickel dime trades in crypto. 

Selling out my position in AMBP and cancelling the order to buy more. I don't think it will pull back soon enough for me to make money off of it.

Taking that money and buying some more of one of my investment stocks, WWW. Hopefully the shipping problems are over and they can get back to selling shoes. :)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I thought a color copier was going to be involved here. :dontknow:

You just had to bring that back up, didn't you? :angry: 

I hope the FDA does something about Epson. I mean if they can us get decent concert tickets, they can stop the ink supply problem.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, Razors Edge said:

Have you considered a podcast with @MickinMD?

Maybe a cross-border one that brings in @shootingstar?  

This could be big!

It would be an interesting podcast, but I know very little about short-term stock trading.

My brother has done it with some success going simply by trends.  My now-retired-in-Florida optometrist said he had a college friend who set up a business with a team that fairly accurately predicted changes as small as 1/8 of a dollar per share (this is back when shares were sold in fractional prices) and were able to make a decent living trading stocks.

My strength is math including a 600-level, multivariable calculus based course in probability and statistics.  I've shown that I can slight beat the S&P 500 over time - a 1% to 2% better gain/year over the long-term - by being a disciple of Graham-Buffett Value Investing.

I feel like, long-term, I have the skills and information to match wits with Wall Street, but am at a short-term disadvantage.  So I stick to long-term.

For example, on September 2nd, I looked at the durable competitive chip making advantages of Nvidia (4x the size of Intel now), whose stock was diving because the U.S. Gov't had just banned its top chips from export to China.  I did the math and figured that would only cut it's 2023 profit from a 23% profit growth to 21.5% profit growth which made it a great bargain at its P/E ratio in the mid-30's.

So I bought it at $137, imprudently doubling the shares I had bought at $183 in June with some of the surprise money I got from State Farm, and soon it fell to something like $112 because computer sales were slumping and people thought of it as a gaming-chip company even though such chips are now a small part of its chip business (again, I looked at the quarterly reports and long-term guidance).  But I wasn't upset: I wished I could buy more with cutting my emergency money too thin.

Today NVDA is $193, up 32% in January because it makes the super-chips that will run the new ChatGPT network Microsoft is spending billions to set-up and has already signed the deal with Microsoft.  It's got the #1 gaming chips but data center chips are now its biggest sector after soaring 61% in sales last year.  It also increased automotive chip sales by 45% and hybrid/EV/safety features are going to increase throughout the 2020's.

The consensus of the analysts surveyed by Yahoo expect a 21.3% per year earnings growth for NVDA for the next 5 years, close to the 21.5% I had estimated for 2023, but the 12-month price target consensus is only $200.  That's OK.  Another 3.5% on top of 32% for 2023 plus the tiny 0.1% dividend work for me.

I also bought Home Depot (HD) @ $272 in September (now $317), Amazon (AMZN) @ $89 on Jan 9th (now $97), Costco (COST) @ $478 on Jan. 10th (now $490)., and Southwest Airlines (LUV) @ $39.74 and $36.76 on Tues. Dec. 13th and Fri. Jan 13th (subconsciously thinking the 13th was my lucky day?) and it's now $36.87, temporarily down because of the once-in-50-years poor software and planning that messed up a lot of holiday season flights.

Those stocks may drop a lot over the next year, depending on the economy, but each has a reasonable price, durable competitive advantages, and histories that suggest I'll be rewards above market averages down the road.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

It would be an interesting podcast, but I know very little about short-term stock trading.

My brother has done it with some success going simply by trends.  My now-retired-in-Florida optometrist said he had a college friend who set up a business with a team that fairly accurately predicted changes as small as 1/8 of a dollar per share (this is back when shares were sold in fractional prices) and were able to make a decent living trading stocks.

My strength is math including a 600-level, multivariable calculus based course in probability and statistics.  I've shown that I can slight beat the S&P 500 over time - a 1% to 2% better gain/year over the long-term - by being a disciple of Graham-Buffett Value Investing.

I feel like, long-term, I have the skills and information to match wits with Wall Street, but am at a short-term disadvantage.  So I stick to long-term.

For example, on September 2nd, I looked at the durable competitive chip making advantages of Nvidia (4x the size of Intel now), whose stock was diving because the U.S. Gov't had just banned its top chips from export to China.  I did the math and figured that would only cut it's 2023 profit from a 23% profit growth to 21.5% profit growth which made it a great bargain at its P/E ratio in the mid-30's.

So I bought it at $137, imprudently doubling the shares I had bought at $183 in June with some of the surprise money I got from State Farm, and soon it fell to something like $112 because computer sales were slumping and people thought of it as a gaming-chip company even though such chips are now a small part of its chip business (again, I looked at the quarterly reports and long-term guidance).  But I wasn't upset: I wished I could buy more with cutting my emergency money too thin.

Today NVDA is $193, up 32% in January because it makes the super-chips that will run the new ChatGPT network Microsoft is spending billions to set-up and has already signed the deal with Microsoft.  It's got the #1 gaming chips but data center chips are now its biggest sector after soaring 61% in sales last year.  It also increased automotive chip sales by 45% and hybrid/EV/safety features are going to increase throughout the 2020's.

The consensus of the analysts surveyed by Yahoo expect a 21.3% per year earnings growth for NVDA for the next 5 years, close to the 21.5% I had estimated for 2023, but the 12-month price target consensus is only $200.  That's OK.  Another 3.5% on top of 32% for 2023 plus the tiny 0.1% dividend work for me.

I also bought Home Depot (HD) @ $272 in September (now $317), Amazon (AMZN) @ $89 on Jan 9th (now $97), Costco (COST) @ $478 on Jan. 10th (now $490)., and Southwest Airlines (LUV) @ $39.74 and $36.76 on Tues. Dec. 13th and Fri. Jan 13th (subconsciously thinking the 13th was my lucky day?) and it's now $36.87, temporarily down because of the once-in-50-years poor software and planning that messed up a lot of holiday season flights.

Those stocks may drop a lot over the next year, depending on the economy, but each has a reasonable price, durable competitive advantages, and histories that suggest I'll be rewards above market averages down the road.

That seems like a lot of work to me, just to make money. :lol:

I've got an order in for some CSX. It's a limit order very close to market price. I'll be hoping for 10-15% within a month. I'll happily take 8% if the notion strikes me. Actually, this is a pretty good investment, if you like that kind of thing. There's still industry wide labor problems but the 'spice must flow'.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 8:59 AM, MickinMD said:

The podcast will be called the long and short of investing.  Both of you speak to your strengths. 

• Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

One of my investment stocks is making a jump on news of a partnership with GM. LAC is the Canadian mining company I've been holding for a presence in lithium space. GM just invested $650 million dollars to use the mined lithium in the proprietary Ultium batteries.

I sold out of this stock at the peak in 2021. Then I started accumulating again last year. The price has been falling all year long, as has my value, but I am keeping the faith. It's a company that is well poised for the future. 

Another stock I hold for investment purposes, which has been a disappointment for me, has been the victim of bad weather along the coasts. They are the biggest company in their field but you can't argue with Mother Nature.

31 minutes ago, donkpow said:

One of my investment stocks is making a jump on news of a partnership with GM. LAC is the Canadian mining company I've been holding for a presence in lithium space. GM just invested $650 million dollars to use the mined lithium in the proprietary Ultium batteries.

I sold out of this stock at the peak in 2021. Then I started accumulating again last year. The price has been falling all year long, as has my value, but I am keeping the faith. It's a company that is well poised for the future. 

Another stock I hold for investment purposes, which has been a disappointment for me, has been the victim of bad weather along the coasts. They are the biggest company in their field but you can't argue with Mother Nature.

Just wondering, do you put your pants on one leg at a time?

21 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Just wondering, do you put your pants on one leg at a time?

Here's the secret. All the money I made in '21 went to pay a family member for being stupid. Just not one layer of stupidity, a whole stack of stupid. You can't just let them fall victim to their own shortcomings. In this case, life safety disasters were averted with my profit.

To answer your question, I put my pants on one leg at a time. I just have to empty the money out of the pockets first.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

Transportation is making a jump. I've set a sell order on my RXO stock because it up to around 25% profit for me. I've also set a sell order on CSX at around 10% profit. I'll let you know the precise profit percent when they sell, if they sell. I have to look up the cost basis and I'm just too lazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Transportation is making a jump. I've set a sell order on my RXO stock because it up to around 25% profit for me. I've also set a sell order on CSX at around 10% profit. I'll let you know the precise profit percent when they sell, if they sell. I have to look up the cost basis and I'm just too lazy. 

I hear there was a big shakeup with Abbot Labs in the middle of the night.  You should get in on some of that action.

• Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can a dog make me some money? YELL is on the bottom. I bought some. I'm just thinking about how I am going to spend all this money.

I didn't see a pull back on the market like I expected so I had to cancel some orders. You probably don't care about the details. Amiright? Fuggetaboutit.

My stocks are up 3% in 2023 but, without Nvidia which is up 61% in 2023, I'd be down 3%.  Most of mine are value stocks and, after two better-than-avg years for them, they're underperforming for 2023.  The S&P 500 is up 3.9% in 2023.  All numbers include dividends.

I don't have anything I want to sell, buying for the long term unless fundamentals change.  I've made my big purchases for 2023 (AMZN, COST, TROW) and expect only my four small automatic monthly purchases through DRIP/DSPP plans for the rest of the year in Emerson Electric ($75 - it's my smallest holding), General Mills ($50 - it's my 2nd smallest holding), AbbVie and Abbott Labs ($25 each, they were my largest holdings before NVDA took off, I've owned them since they were a single company, Abbott Labs, from 1993-2012, then since AbbVie was spun-off in 2013).  It all adds up!

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My stocks are up 3% in 2023 but, without Nvidia which is up 61% in 2023, I'd be down 3%.  Most of mine are value stocks and, after two better-than-avg years for them, they're underperforming for 2023.  The S&P 500 is up 3.9% in 2023.  All numbers include dividends.

I don't have anything I want to sell, buying for the long term unless fundamentals change.  I've made my big purchases for 2023 (AMZN, COST, TROW) and expect only my four small automatic monthly purchases through DRIP/DSPP plans for the rest of the year in Emerson Electric ($75 - it's my smallest holding), General Mills ($50 - it's my 2nd smallest holding), AbbVie and Abbott Labs ($25 each, they were my largest holdings before NVDA took off, I've owned them since they were a single company, Abbott Labs, from 1993-2012, then since AbbVie was spun-off in 2013).  It all adds up!

As I understand it, Berkshire lost a few billion last year.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:48 AM, donkpow said:

You should look at TFI..too bad I didn't buy alot more 2 yrs. ago.  I just have baby amount but it's like a teenager getting tall steadily. Not sure when to give up this baby. :mellow:

Over in a totally different forum, there's a 75+ yr. old woman who seems sufficiently money-savvy. It actually appears to be a hobby for her since she seems to track her stuff and offer what she seems to know. As a woman in financial forum, she is a rarity...at least one who speaks up, etc.  

Personally I find the subject matter dry itself..it's more stories of what people think, do and plan. Or their habits.  

• Heart 1

On 2/28/2023 at 12:51 PM, donkpow said:

As I understand it, Berkshire lost a few billion last year.

Berkshire's stock price handily outpaced the S&P 500 in the fourth quarter, soaring by 15.3% versus a total return of 7.6% from the S&P 500. Berkshire's stock price was +4.0% for 2022, compared to the S&P 500 going down 17.7% including dividends and me going down 10.2% including dividends.

As of Dec 31, 2022, consolidated shareholders’ equity was $480.6 billion, down 6.7% from the level as of Dec 31, 2021, but much better than the stock market averages.

• Awesome 1

22 hours ago, donkpow said:

How about a failed robbery escape?

fail-lol.gif

Place I worked at had an all glass entry way, in and out doors with a glass panel between them. They also had a hot looking IT manager.

So the IT girl was walking a vender out, the janitors had moved the entry carpet over a couple feet to polish the floor.

The camera caught it perfectly.

Venders eyes focused on IT girls boobs, following the carpet straight into the fixed piece of glass between the two doors.

His nose exploded in a burst of blood and he went down like a rock. No serious damage, but I bet his nose hurt like hell.

The video was much watched.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some more Ford @12.00, I'll be trying to make 10% on the sale.

I've got an order in to buy some Morgan Stanley. Do to the current banking issue, all bank stocks are under pressure. My price is $88. The lowest it fell over the weekend is $88.16. This is always an anxiety trigger, how low will it go? Many times I've been just off the bottom and couldn't buy in. I pick a price for a reason, to make me money. If the price doesn't fall low enough, I'm not buying it. I'm a bit more flexible on the sell price. I rarely lose money. Every now and then I pick a risky stock and lose some money. 

robbery1.gif