This scared me

Dirtyhip

49 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I came across a large praying mantis once in the army.  I had never seen one before & thought I’d catch it.  So I pinned  him by the wings, it spun its torso & took a chunk out of my finger!  

Bastard!!!

Luckily, it wasn’t a female, praying mantis. She would’ve eaten your head.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

This one was on my front porch yesterday. They seem to be everywhere this time of year.

IMG_5159.jpeg.e50619b8875cec2729792d236b674f9f.jpeg

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I came across a large praying mantis once in the army.  I had never seen one before & thought I’d catch it.  So I pinned  him by the wings, it spun its torso & took a chunk out of my finger!  

Bastard!!!

I picked one up one time by picking it up just behind its head like I would a snake. It reached around with one of its legs and sliced my finger. They are quite the fighting machine. I watched one eat a large grasshopper one time. The grasshopper didn’t have a chance.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I came across a large praying mantis once in the army.  I had never seen one before & thought I’d catch it.  So I pinned  him by the wings, it spun its torso & took a chunk out of my finger!  It defended itself against.  I was beng a Bastard.  

FIFY  :)

1 minute ago, team scooter said:

Last week, this one spent much of the day on the forklift at work until I took it outside. Sadly, the next day I think I saw it smashed on the sidewalk outside. :angry:

praying.jpg

I wonder what they do in the winter? They probably die anyway. I’ve never seen big ones early in the year.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wonder what they do in the winter? They probably die anyway. I’ve never seen big ones early in the year.

They die.  The few that try and hibernate will die of old age by Spring or get killed by predators.  The females lay eggs and encase them with a layer of yuck that protects the eggs from the cold.  In Spring they hatch and it all starts over again.  

• Thank You 1