Tiny Home rejected

dinneR

21 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I thought I might have had a housing solution. I found a piece of land. A sliver really. A local architect was hoping to build on it, but her application was rejected. I thought I could fit a tiny home on it. I talked to the Building Dept. and they said tiny homes are not legal here. 

I did get my application approved for an upcoming housing lottery. Today is the deadline. They emailed me last night that I was missing a W-2. I checked and realized I had uploaded my 2022 twice and failed to submit my 2021 form. 

And now I wait.

Good luck!                           

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What's the definition they use?

It has to do with tiny homes being on a trailer. I'm not sure how it differs from a mobile home, but maybe those become permanent once they are on the land. 

There were other issues with the piece of land. She mentioned three.

image.thumb.png.22ac1df222dfa2e6bfe44b239a8623b4.png

• Sad 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dinneR said:

It has to do with tiny homes being on a trailer. I'm not sure how it differs from a mobile home, but maybe those become permanent once they are on the land. 

There were other issues with the piece of land. She mentioned three.

image.thumb.png.22ac1df222dfa2e6bfe44b239a8623b4.png

I've seen plenty of tiny homes built on foundations rather than wheels.  I get the restriction on "trailers".

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I've seen plenty of tiny homes built on foundations rather than wheels.  I get the restriction on "trailers".

Me too. But then I got into the other issues. I've looked at these. 450-600 sq ft. modular.

The piece of land is below.

image.png.d65c6a10c3510118e2f37b51f3065bbd.png

image.thumb.png.23389df2e1cf5b52177fcfd95c63ba7f.png

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I am eligible for one unit. You don't get to see it. They have a floor plan

So you have to keep your eyes closed the whole time you live there or is a blind fold involved?  Please tell me they don't poke your eyes out.  

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

So you have to keep your eyes closed the whole time you live there or is a blind fold involved?  Please tell me they don't poke your eyes out.  

It's dark man, really dark. 

My current place I rented based on a floor plan only. The first time I saw it was when I moved in. It'll be the same with this one.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

When I moved to Los Angeles, I had spent a week looking at apartments and didn't see anything that worked.  Then a friend said a place was coming open in her boyfriend's complex.  He vouched for the building and even though I couldn't see the apartment because it was still occupied, he said it would be like his.  Turns out it was a totally different floor plan, and to my happy surprise, it also had a giant private terrace.

Some of my friends were shocked I'd rent a place sight unseen, but it worked out just fine - but I tend not to be very particular about a lot of things my friends worry about.

I took my first apartment just because it was easy because a cow-orker was moving oot. It was a little plain and boring but worked out ok. 

• Heart 1

Hopefully you'll get it in the end.

If it's going to be brand-new, that's less of an issue of not knowing what it looks like in advance for real (vs. a design rendering/photo).   Looks peaceful and not a terribly busy road.  And far enough from river ...at least that's what it appears. I'm making this comment because our river did flood --big time.

36 minutes ago, Further said:

Are you going to take it ?

Is this for a rental or purchase ?

This is a rental. I will take it if I am chosen. They have not said when the lottery will happen. They have to process everyone's applications first.

I've driven by the place. They look nice. It is smaller than my current place, more expensive, and no storage. I could end up with four bikes in my bedroom again. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

20 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I could end up with four bikes in my bedroom again. 

This will take care of 3 of them.    You just need a stud finder and maybe some wood to span between the studs if the stud location isn't in the best place for the hangers.

https://dahanger.co/collections/pedal-hooks/products/dahanger-dan

Good luck...

Yeah housing insecurity must suck.   I can't imagine. :dontknow:

• Awesome 1

9 hours ago, dinneR said:

That I should sell my bikes and take up pickleball? It would solve my space and storage issues.

That was what initially attracted me to running over biking. No equipment to deal with. Now it is dog walking.  I could get into pickle ball or back into tennis if I could find a partner. I sort of miss tennis, bad as I was at it. I was better after taking a course at the community college. That was a fun place. Also learned to ride a motorsickle there. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, dinneR said:

Those are cool. I have two of these racks. They work well, it's just the space and mess. Fatbike, gravel, mtb are not clean. I currently have all of bike and ski gear on racks in my bedroom. It will be tight. My previous apt was 450 sq ft so I know I can make it work.

The insecurity of it isn't fun. This will be my 4th move in 7 years. Two of my co-workers have moved three times in three years. Only once have I moved by my choice. The person I spoke with at the building dept is losing her housing too. 

I'm a lucky person, so I think I can make it work. And I'm not complaining, just explaining. I made the choice to live here knowing it was a challenge. Covid just made it a lot more challenging. 

1017181404.jpg

I had one of those for many years when Price Point used to sell them.  We had enough bikes in the house to use both sides with both the long hooks and the short ones.  That reminds me how much I miss Price Point, one of the better online dealers.  They closed in 2016 forever.

Strange floor plans: My last apartment in Norfolk VA in the early 70's had a U shaped floor plan.  It was on the ground floor of an old converted hotel ad the U surrounded a stairway leading up to the second floor.  There were 2 bedrooms on one side of the stairs and the living room, kitchen and bathroom on the other.  They were connected buy a tunnel like room under the stairs.  Since I had the front bedroom a middle of the night visit to the bathroom involved either going through the adjacent bedroom and tunnel or travelling across the front door hallway in front of the stairs from bedroom to living room taking a key to get into the other side and back.

In the picture my building is just beyond the bright white one in the very top right corner (redish roof). We had the pleasure of listening to the roller coaster into the wee hours of the morning and all day.  That was Ocean View Park, featured in the movie "The death of Ocean View Park".

CfO5FhGVIAABs68.jpg.22ac84ba37224457b219540097db8ea8.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dinneR said:

The insecurity of it isn't fun. This will be my 4th move in 7 years. Two of my co-workers have moved three times in three years. Only once have I moved by my choice. The person I spoke with at the building dept is losing her housing too. 

How does that work in Jackson?  Here in VA, the normal process (like most of the US) is that the landlord just lets you know the next years rent amount, and you sign a new lease.  Pretty much first "dibs".

In Jackson, because of the lottery, do they toss you back into the mix every year or two?  You don't get a chance to just keep the apartment you are in, sign anew lease, and pay the new rate?  Or is it that they can jack up the rate, so you are looking to reset back to an "affordable" rate and that means moving?

Moving sucks. Not knowing that a reasonable rate is available sucks even more.  :(

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

are you moving because of location?

No, it's an affordable and I priced out.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does that work in Jackson?  Here in VA, the normal process (like most of the US) is that the landlord just lets you know the next years rent amount, and you sign a new lease.  Pretty much first "dibs".

In Jackson, because of the lottery, do they toss you back into the mix every year or two?  You don't get a chance to just keep the apartment you are in, sign anew lease, and pay the new rate?  Or is it that they can jack up the rate, so you are looking to reset back to an "affordable" rate and that means moving?

Moving sucks. Not knowing that a reasonable rate is available sucks even more.  :(

The landlord doesn't set my rent. The Housing dept does. It's income based and there are three levels. I priced out of mine. I would happily stay and pay more rent. It's not an option. You have to move. Moving isn't fun but it's not the most difficult part. Finding housing is. It just doesn't exist. I'm on the waiting list for every place in town. None ever reply or acknowledge you.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It sucks to be a commoner

:(   If it wasn't for the county and the Affordable Housing Program @dinneR would be living a LONG distance from where is is now.   :(

This kind of housing economy has happened at MANY vacation places.  The rich like it the place, they buy a home with no regard for the cost because it's a drop in their bucket.   The price of homes in Jackson is soooo high, if you did buy 30 or 40 years ago, I'd bet the local people now can't afford the real estate taxes on their paid off home.   Marker values have gone up a LOT, so did there tax too,. 

Years ago when we vacationed in Telluride CO in June for hiking we were in downtown Telluride and walked past a real estate office.  A place like this was listed for $1 million back then.  There this is a lot for an expensive home after this home is removed. 

image.png.22d76958cf1931b58b0bea225e41a550.png

The local people who work can't afford to live in just about any of these places anymore.    

When we visited Whistler, BC for hiking in June, the locals were PISSED about the Olympics that were coming to the area,  They were already looking for housing 50 to 60 miles away and that was becoming expensive too because ALL of the people who work were looking and there wasn't too many places to live 50 miles away either. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It sucks to be a commoner.

Yeah, it kind of does. Yesterday, there was discussion to allow a new development to build four stories instead of three. So many people spoke out against it. They want us here to serve them, they just don't want us to have a place to live.

At my first apt, a woman knocked on my door and asked if I would come to the town council meeting and speak out against a new apt building. I said no. She asked why. I said I want to live there. 

A local golf course wanted to build employee housing. The residents opposed it. They said the housing would upset the natural setting........of an 18 hole golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, and fancy restaurant.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Yeah, it kind of does. Yesterday, there was discussion to allow a new development to build four stories instead of three. So many people spoke out against it. They want us here to serve them, they just don't want us to have a place to live.

At my first apt, a woman knocked on my door and asked if I would come to the town council meeting and speak out against a new apt building. I said no. She asked why. I said I want to live there. 

A local golf course wanted to build employee housing. The residents opposed it. They said the housing would upset the natural setting........of an 18 hole golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, and fancy restaurant.

There is a good documentary about this narrated by Sylvester Stallone, Sandra Bullock and Wesley Snipes.

5 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This kind of housing economy has happened at MANY vacation places.

It's not just traditional vacation places like ski or beach locations, but also large cities where folks buy property for SHORT TERM rental vs "regular" rental.  

IOW, instead of normal 1 person owns 1 property, it becomes a 1 to many situation that really screws the market.  Swap in "person" for "large property group", and it gets even worse. 

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

:(   If it wasn't for the county and the Affordable Housing Program @dinneR would be living a LONG distance from where is is now.   :(

This kind of housing economy has happened at MANY vacation places.  The rich like it the place, they buy a home with no regard for the cost because it's a drop in their bucket.   The price of homes in Jackson is soooo high, if you did buy 30 or 40 years ago, I'd bet the local people now can't afford the real estate taxes on their paid off home.   Marker values have gone up a LOT, so did there tax too,. 

Years ago when we vacationed in Telluride CO in June for hiking we were in downtown Telluride and walked past a real estate office.  A place like this was listed for $1 million back then.  There this is a lot for an expensive home after this home is removed. 

image.png.22d76958cf1931b58b0bea225e41a550.png

The local people who work can't afford to live in just about any of these places anymore.    

When we visited Whistler, BC for hiking in June, the locals were PISSED about the Olympics that were coming to the area,  They were already looking for housing 50 to 60 miles away and that was becoming expensive too because ALL of the people who work were looking and there wasn't too many places to live 50 miles away either. 

From an article last week:

The average sale price last year for all real estate was just over $4 million. That’s down from 2022 when the average sale price landed at about $5.25 million. Average single family home prices have flat-lined from last year at just above $5 million while condos and townhomes have dropped about a half million from last year to about $2.5 million.

1 hour ago, dinneR said:

Someday there will be little old ladies sitting in the front row knitting and giggling.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Yes seashells and Taco Bell.  

Wow that movie is 31 years old.   

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

There is a good documentary about this narrated by Sylvester Stallone, Sandra Bullock and Wesley Snipes.

Yeah, exactly,   I should have figured this out sooner.  :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Wow that movie is 31 years old.   

Yeah, exactly,   I should have figured this out sooner.  :facepalm:

It was the mixture of those three in the cast that jogged my memory.  I can't think of anything else they might have been in together.

• Heart 1

This is absurd, but it was in the paper yesterday

The average price of a single-family home in Jackson, Wyoming, hit a record $8.625 million in 2023. Of the 58 homes for sale at the end of the year, only two were below $2 million and more than half listed for more than $5 million.

Meanwhile, the long-term prospects for anything like affordable housing in Jackson don’t appear to be improving, Viehman told Cowboy State Daily.

There are just two state-owned sections in Teton County with potential for development, according to The Viehman Group report.

There is one on Moose-Wilson Road, and another near Kelly. Both parcels are 640 acres, but traffic and infrastructure are issues for any dense development there.

11 hours ago, dinneR said:

This is absurd, but it was in the paper yesterday

The average price of a single-family home in Jackson, Wyoming, hit a record $8.625 million in 2023. Of the 58 homes for sale at the end of the year, only two were below $2 million and more than half listed for more than $5 million.

Meanwhile, the long-term prospects for anything like affordable housing in Jackson don’t appear to be improving, Viehman told Cowboy State Daily.

There are just two state-owned sections in Teton County with potential for development, according to The Viehman Group report.

There is one on Moose-Wilson Road, and another near Kelly. Both parcels are 640 acres, but traffic and infrastructure are issues for any dense development there.

I know you love Jackson, but have you thought of more affordable and less nerve wracking locations to live?  Utah isn't sold out yet, and my friends just bought a semi-affordable place in Leadville.  Probably plenty of winter wonderlands still with available expensive, but reasonably priced properties out there.

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I know you love Jackson, but have you thought of more affordable and less nerve wracking locations to live?  Utah isn't sold out yet, and my friends just bought a semi-affordable place in Leadville.  Probably plenty of winter wonderlands still with available expensive, but reasonably priced properties out there.

Yeah, this.

You're in computers and programming, right?  Remote work?  Why live in the most expensive town in the country?