It's hard to find a restaurant concept better than the traditional diner

Kirby

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I can't imagine anyone not liking a diner.  Their menus are practically books and anyone should be able to find something they like.  You can get breakfast all day if you like.  Show me a Michelin five star restaurant where you can do that!

Other restaurants have their place and I would miss them if they were gone, but it's hard to imagine other restaurants where you could so easily eat three different meals a day. :nodhead:

I have a repurposed Harney and Sons tin that I relabeled "Cheap Diner Tea", and filled with regular Lipton tea bags.  Lipton makes a decent iced tea, you see.  Also, the gf is a coffee drinker and so her damaged taste buds don't allow her to taste actual good teas, so why waste good tea when Lipton will do just fine if she is having some tea?

Anyway, I associate Lipton with cheap diners, in a good way.  Can you order me some corned beef hash, eggs once over lightly, and white or rye toast absolutely soaking in butter?  

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

But alot of different versions of a "diner", these days. Too bad some places close late afternoon in our city. I guess the North American culture is not used to eating an egg dish for dinner.  I wish they extend the hrs. for better quality diners. 

I'm just showing menus --to get to the real stuff.

Reds-Diner-menu-all-day-breakfast-brunch-lunch-Kensington-Calgary (redsdiner.com)  

Calgary - OEB Breakfast Co (eatoeb.com)  (has U.S. locations)

63e2b8eec61f3d3a008590be_Frans Menu.pdf (website-files.com)  Long-time in Toronto. 24 hrs.  It's to me, not as good as Red's.  I treated a 14-yr. old niece at Fran's.  She ordered a grill cheese sandwich which I was secretly underwhelmed. B)  I was willing to pay more for something more elaborate.  But she needed her delicious energy for rowing training in 4 hrs.

Dining room menu – Cora Breakfast and lunch (chezcora.com)  National chain, original from Quebec. So some slight en francais influence on menu wording. Do serve dinner. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

What’s the green stuff with bacon?  At first I thought it was green beans but it looks more like bell pepper?  

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

What green veggie is on the right?

green beans 

• Heart 1

We have a lot of Greek diners in our area. They have all the American diner grub, with Souvlaki, Gyros and a few other Greek specialties thrown in. And we have a new diner I tried call Figmor. (Finally I Got My Own Restaurant). It’s very popular.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

We have a lot of Greek diners in our area. They have all the American diner grub, with Souvlaki, Gyros and a few other Greek specialties thrown in. And we have a new diner I tried call Figmor. (Finally I Got My Own Restaurant). It’s very popular.

I used to bike over after hot humid early morning bike ride by Lake Ontario and into Beaches neighbourhood (which I recommend if in Toronto for more laid back vibe) where this Greek-diner had some dishes were 3-eggs.  I did try such a dish once...  Nowadays I would order only 2-egg dish.

35 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Poor Richard's Cafe in Plano makes a good chicken fried steak as well.   Here is the breakfast portion.

IMG_1143.JPG

The closest we would get on a CAnadian menu if like diner-brunch, is schnitzel..veal or chicken.  I don't think Canadian menu would call it chicken fried steak --it might puzzle alot of Canucks.

@jsharr you have visit Canada.. alot of Calgarians do go down to TX for biz.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I used to bike over after hot humid early morning bike ride by Lake Ontario and into Beaches neighbourhood (which I recommend if in Toronto for more laid back vibe) where this Greek-diner had some dishes were 3-eggs.  I did try such a dish once...  Nowadays I would order only 2-egg dish.

We used to go to Danforth Ave in Toronto for Greek food, yum. That’s where they filmed scenes from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

The closest we would get on a CAnadian menu if like diner-brunch, is schnitzel..veal or chicken.  I don't think Canadian menu would call it chicken fried steak --it might puzzle alot of Canucks.

@jsharr you have visit Canada.. alot of Calgarians do go down to TX for biz.

There is a diner around the corner from my office called the Maple Leaf Diner.  They top lots of stuff with poutine, including chicken fried steak.

https://www.mldiner.com/

No photo description available.

• Heart 1
  • Yum 2

18 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

We used to go to Spadina Ave in Toronto for Greek food, yum. That’s where they filmed scenes from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Yes, fun movie. Yes, Toronto would be perfect for their shoots. Unfortunately Danforth Greek area has changed alot.  Less Greek restaurants. I was there last fall.  :(  I loved one of their bakeries..made best Greek pastry with custard filling wrapped in phyllo pastry. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There is a diner around the corner from my office called the Maple Leaf Diner.  They top lots of stuff with poutine, including chicken fried steak.

https://www.mldiner.com/

So, a homesick Ontarioan defector who sets up this  place, eh?  Cool. Good poutine pic.  I tend to wanna dig into an interesting sandwich or innovative eggs benny.

Wonder how well they do.  I love peameal bacon.  Toronto is known for peameal bacon sandwiches... which are really hard to find in Calgary. Wierd, cause Alberta produces alot of pork for Canada.  Makes no sense to me.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So, a homesick Ontarioan defector who sets up this  place, eh?  Cool. Good poutine pic.  I tend to wanna dig into an interesting sandwich or innovative eggs benny.

Wonder how well they do.  I love peameal bacon.  Toronto is known for peameal bacon sandwiches... which are really hard to find in Calgary. Wierd, cause Alberta produces alot of pork for Canada.  Makes no sense to me.

They are always busy when I stop by.  Usually have a wait list, esp on weekends.  Been there for going on 10 years.  It is sort of a weird place, as the interior is a weird mash up of styles.  They are in a strip shopping center that offers quite few dining options from Chili's bar and grill to Indian, Greek and Mexican.    There is also a Penzy's spice shop there.

• Heart 1

Cafes are fine and I like a nice cafe too, but it's not a diner. Same for coffee shops.  And I emphasized a traditional diner, because bougie fancy diners have their place too, but they are not traditional diners. :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Cafes are fine and I like a nice cafe too, but it's not a diner. Same for coffee shops.  And I emphasized a traditional diner, because bougie fancy diners have their place too, but they are not traditional diners. :nodhead:

So what's your fav. place at your end? 

I don't  care much for traditional diners, since the menu looks limited..to me.  I've been to maybe 1 in past 7 yrs. It was in Toronto with all the 1940's decor preserved well.   A straight burger....doesn't turn me on. I might as well sit in someone's backyard for BBQ.

Ok, maybe a bison burger might be a draw.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

So what's your fav. place at your end? 

I don't  care much for traditional diners, since the menu looks limited..to me.

Every good diner that I've been to has a menu that goes on for days and days.  Breakfast foods, cold sandwiches, hot sandwiches, Greek food, burgers, panini, wraps, salads, dinner platters of every sort.

• Heart 1

I sometimes think of how Gordon Ramsey always turned up his nose at huge menus when he did restaurant makeovers. But screw him!  A large selection can be nice!  

But I do enjoy making faces and poking at a very bad dinner like he does. That is fun!  And it is aboot all you can do when served slop. :(

• Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Every good diner that I've been to has a menu that goes on for days and days.  Breakfast foods, cold sandwiches, hot sandwiches, Greek food, burgers, panini, wraps, salads, dinner platters of every sort.

Ok, I thought you meant to the "true" original diners. Burgers, shakes..etc. More basic menu, nothing fancy.

20 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

I sometimes think of how Gordon Ramsey always turned up his nose at huge menus when he did restaurant makeovers. But screw him!  A large selection can be nice!  

Always...since we have so many different food "aversions", these days.  A term some high-class chefs use.

I once got a glowing recommendation for a diner that turned oot to have about the worst food ever!  To add insult to injury, it was right across from a very good one!  That said, thankfully that was a rarity. Usually diner food is good to acceptable. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

but it's hard to imagine other restaurants where you could so easily eat three different meals a day

LIGHTNING BOLT!!!

Now that you are retired, it is your time to make a documentary a la Supersize Me but where you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at diners over the next 365 days and document the journey!

• Haha 1

All this food talk has made me hungry, except I feel full due to Ozempic, so there is no way I could eat.  But I really want a nice chicken fried steak and I blame @Kirby

I am still a bit confused on cafe vs diner.  Does a diner have to have a bar or some certain feature set to make it a diner?  Both tend to serve comfort food, or home made style simple foods.  

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

All this food talk has made me hungry, except I feel full due to Ozempic, so there is no way I could eat.  But I really want a nice chicken fried steak and I blame @Kirby

I am still a bit confused on cafe vs diner.  Does a diner have to have a bar or some certain feature set to make it a diner?  Both tend to serve comfort food, or home made style simple foods.  

It must have at least 250 items on the menu, and you don't need the menu becaase you can just order whatever you got a hankerin' for and they'll make it.

But some do have bad food.  Those will tell on themselves before you even get in the door, so just leave.  We had a great local diner, new ownership and now it's awful.  It's probably going to close in a year.

• Like 1