So, how are your microplastics doing?

Wilbur

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

hanks man.  Now I have some else to worry about. 

No need to worry...  plastic nano particles are just about everywhere.   We are all doomed, we just don't know it.  

If you want to get really worried read these;   (or not)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10093235/    

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2772416622000146

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

No need to worry...  plastic nano particles are just about everywhere.   We are all doomed, we just don't know it.  

If you want to get really worried read these;   (or not)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10093235/    

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2772416622000146

You really know how to hit the joy button.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

You really know how to hit the joy button.

But if we are willing to starve off thousands of people today for a green economy, in the hope that unproven effects on people who will be born 100 years form now, why not address the things that are actually harming us? :) 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

But if we are willing to starve off thousands of people today for a green economy, in the hope that unproven effects on people who will be born 100 years form now, why not address the things that are actually harming us? :) 

If there is one thing the right to lifers have taught me, it is that any one future life is worth far more than the already living billions.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Sad 1

Not that long ago, after determining that bisphenol a is an endocrine disrupting chemical, we saw a market correction in containers made without bpa. It’s still used in cash register receipts, but  paperless transactions have somewhat limited exposure through that particular heat-transfer paper. I have to think we’ll see a similar market swing to minimize exposure to microplastics somehow. At minimum, the marketing will make that claim. Lots of reusable aluminum bottles and glass containers already slotting into the growing awareness of microplastics. We might see a product that claims to cleanse the body of molecular plastic. I’d have to search; it’s probably already out there.

Since I haven't replaced my broken microwave, when I reheat some food dishes, I steam them.  So the leftover food dish, is stored in a white plain ceramic small bowl in fridge.  I use the same container with food inside to steam the food in a pot of water.

I try to wait for soup to cool down to store in plastic container. But sometimes the leftover amount is enough for the ceramic bowl. So I use that.  Increasingly, I try to use plastic containers to store only cooled down food or chopped up raw produce for freezer or fridge. ie. sliced pineapple, squash, washed berries, etc.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Not that long ago, after determining that bisphenol a is an endocrine disrupting chemical, we saw a market correction in containers made without bpa. It’s still used in cash register receipts, but  paperless transactions have somewhat limited exposure through that particular heat-transfer paper. I have to think we’ll see a similar market swing to minimize exposure to microplastics somehow. At minimum, the marketing will make that claim. Lots of reusable aluminum bottles and glass containers already slotting into the growing awareness of microplastics. We might see a product that claims to cleanse the body of molecular plastic. I’d have to search; it’s probably already out there.

Check teabags while you are at it.  Many contain boa’s. 

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

As there's no clear understanding if they're causing a problem, I'm going to assume it's like an 8.5 A1c in type II diabetes.

If you're in your 70's, something else is going to cause your demise.

But don't you think any foreign, synthetic object in a certain volume embedded inside human live tissues/cells, is bad?  There are photos in that article, Mick.

The human body is a living, very complex speciman, made of multiple, micro-systems. It is not bullet-proof in its organic design to withstand volumes of foreign material embedded inside without any rigorous testing for safety.  Otherwise, we could swallow some wood dust occasionally and nothing would happen to our health.