Jump to content

This is our home plan - update on Oaktown


Dirtyhip
 Share

Recommended Posts

WE had to switch lots and get further away from the creek side.  Flood plane just barely touches the edge of the property, so insurance could be an issue on that other creek side lot.  <sigh>  Details.

But, much progress has been made.  We are waiting on a reply to our offer.  Long weekend woes, I guess.  We did pick a prelim plan to be approved by the CCR Assholes, because the deal is contingent on our home being approved for construction. I joke about the CCRs, but we like that no one can drop a mobile home in this neighborhood.  All the homes are new and cute. The neighborhood is in a darn excellent spot with several major trails right there, and three of them are black diamonds.  :ph34r:

Anyway, this is the house:

https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/563300247/traditional-plan-1137-square-feet-2-bedrooms-1.5-bathrooms

Ignore the daylight basement.  This will be only a 2 story.  I don't want/need a basement. 

The garage will be extended to 24 feet deep, and a 20 foot carport will be installed on the side of the garage for an RV or a trailer or hopefully a Sprinter, but my husband doesn't think we cam afford a Sprinter (I digress).  The house is not super cute from the front.  It just looks like an average home  The lot is really small, so it was a struggle to fit a 1000 sq ft home and all the garage carport stuff.  We have views of Mt. Larison from the back of the house. I am going to remove the door on that dining zone, and just put three windows.  Also, there will be a slider off the living room and a smallish window in the upstairs bath. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

To many stairs for this old man.  If I ever get another house it will be a single level.  I always wanted an underground home.

Just one set of stairs.  If we get old and the stairs are an issue, we will sell the house and buy another one.  Or rent this one, and build again. 

If we get too tired for stairs, I doubt we will own a fleet of bikes that we need space for.

Hubby also said you can install a stair climber. as well.  There are lots of options there.

The stairs are a love hate thing for me.  I love the striking views we will get and building up is an easier footprint to be in the neighborhood we want.  There is another custom home neighborhood by the golf course, but the minimum Sq. foot is way too big for this humble family of 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice Hip.  I like when people smarten up and realize they do not need 4000 sq ft for two people.  Simple, open and a big garage for bikes!

Make the deck bigger.  Over towards the kitchen.  You'll never look at a deck and say "that deck is too big"  That is "deck", with an 'e'

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Abigail Mae said:

And which one for me?  I don't want to share with AWWC, you see.

Upstairs second bedroom is the guest room.

However, most people will probably be put in the trailer.  You just are not allowed to use the toilet in the camper.  You have to use the bathrooms in the house.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Just one set of stairs.  If we get old and the stairs are an issue, we will sell the house and buy another one.  Or rent this one, and build again. 

If we get too tired for stairs, I doubt we will own a fleet of bikes that we need space for.

Hubby also said you can install a stair climber. as well.  There are lots of options there.

The stairs are a love hate thing for me.  I love the striking views we will get and building up is an easier footprint to be in the neighborhood we want.  There is another custom home neighborhood by the golf course, but the minimum Sq. foot is way too big for this humble family of 2.

I don't mind climbing them.  I just don't want to take a header down them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need a bigger kitchen.  A 9x12 kitchen is pretty small - especially for a foodie.  If I wanted that plan I would want to add 3 (or better yet 4) feet to the width that would fall into the kitchen and garage.  I understand your width constraint makes that difficult/impossible. The front can be dressed up by nixing the vent in the peak and adding a decorative vent in the wall above the garage door.  There's lots of stuff you can do with decorating to spice the front elevation up.  And I agree with Z on the deck - make it bigger

For 2 active people this design looks good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Upstairs second bedroom is the guest room.

However, most people will probably be put in the trailer.  You just are not allowed to use the toilet in the camper.  You have to use the bathrooms in the house.

I don't want to share a bathroom with AWWC, either.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You need a bigger kitchen.  A 9x12 kitchen is pretty small - especially for a foodie.  If I wanted that plan I would want to add 3 (or better yet 4) feet to the width that would fall into the kitchen and garage.  I understand your width constraint makes that difficult/impossible. The front can be dressed up by nixing the vent in the peak and adding a decorative vent in the wall above the garage door.  There's lots of stuff you can do with decorating to spice the front elevation up.  And I agree with Z on the deck - make it bigger

For 2 active people this design looks good.

Yes, 9 x 12 is small.  It is actually about the same size as the kitchen I have now. I crank out some serious eats in this modest kitchen.

How many people do you think I need to cook for?

1100 is actually a plenty big house for two people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice, DH!  That looks like a great house for 2 people, lots of room for the stuff you want most, and not a lot of excess requiring upkeep.  And the location sounds wonderful.  It's really been fun seeing you on the journey from when K. started back to school and see how you're achieving the goals you set for yourself.  I think this will be a very happy home!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Very nice, DH!  That looks like a great house for 2 people, lots of room for the stuff you want most, and not a lot of excess requiring upkeep.  And the location sounds wonderful.  It's really been fun seeing you on the journey from when K. started back to school and see how you're achieving the goals you set for yourself.  I think this will be a very happy home!

Thanks, Kirb.  It has been a journey with everyone.  I still remember that wet keyboard when I came out about what had happened to me in 2004. That was the hardest year of my life.

...and having a college student in the house was a trip.  We had fun those four years.  I was living the wild college shit with him.  So fun.  HAHA

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dotman17 said:

That place is wonderful DH.  Can you PM me what the total cost would be?  At some point, I'd like to get the hell out of Dodge City when the timing is right.

I will share.  The properties are listed in the high teens. Sewer and water is right at the property line.  It is zoned city, so the taxes are higher than county.  

Shirely, the cost I am quoted will rise.  It never comes in less than quote.  HAHAA

Hey, move to Oakridge.  It is re-making itself into biketown, after all the mills shut down.  The area is depressed, so things are still on the cheap. Oregon is getting expensive.  Our state is growing more than the other states. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Shared bar of soap in a shower.

Tell me about it.  I get ass in my face every single day.  Some days I get millions of asses.  Michigander asses are the worst.  Beer, brats and cheese make a nasty ass.  Canadian asses are polite and mapley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Square Wheels said:

We are already starting to talk about retiring, even though it won't be for almost 15 years.  We will likely go west of here, Maybe Oregon, maybe Arizona.  We'll likely buy land and build.  It can be as much as Massachusetts.

I would move out of tick land.  We have them, but not like you do. Ticks are something that I don't really even worry about.

But, you will have smoke to contend with for a month or so in the Summer. I imagine that fire is an issue with anywhere that is forested and becomes dry in Summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

News update.

Our offer was accepted.  They didn't counter us. I think they want to sell these lots, and we offered a fair price. We didn't low ball them. 

Congrats!  Party at DH's!!! :cheerleader:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...