Welcome home, dude...

Green Grass

I have little garter snakes that turn up in my basement every spring. If it’s nice enough, I evict them otherwise I leave them be. Don’t think there’s much down there for them to eat, but I guess it’s either “starve” or “freeze”. 

I gotta come up with a plan B.

But this guy found a cozy home:

FEF58EAE-0E7B-4EBF-923B-E35B3EEE71BF.thumb.jpeg.dfcb4ff0b05612244f6da54bd7f199d6.jpeg

• Heart 4

21 hours ago, dennis said:

Did he rattle? Taste like chicken? Make some nice boots?

King snake.  Not venomous.  Skin looks identical to a rattler, but you can easily tell the difference by looking at each end.  Rattlers have rattles (imagine that!) on the tail end and their head is wider than their body.  Not the case with King snakes.  I'm told that they actually drive rattlers away.  Not sure how all that works.

On 4/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I have little garter snakes that turn up in my basement every spring. If it’s nice enough, I evict them otherwise I leave them be. Don’t think there’s much down there for them to eat, but I guess it’s either “starve” or “freeze”. 

I gotta come up with a plan B.

But this guy found a cozy home:

FEF58EAE-0E7B-4EBF-923B-E35B3EEE71BF.thumb.jpeg.dfcb4ff0b05612244f6da54bd7f199d6.jpeg

How the heck did you even see him there??

10 minutes ago, smudge said:

How the heck did you even see him there??

Luck.

I carried the bike upstairs and just happened to see it, otherwise he might have gotten sliced like a salami. What’s bizarre is that I can’t remember if the bike was hanging on the hook, or parked on the floor. Either way, he had to be at least a little creative to get in there.

• Heart 1

...we have so many rattlesnakes down along the river bike trail that it's pretty common to encounter at least one on a ride of 25 miles.

They come out to lie on the asphalt to warm up this time of year, as they break waht passes for hibernation at this low elevation.

They're not aggressive, and it's pretty easy to stop and chase them off the pavement with a stick so they don't get run over. They help control the ground squirrels.

• Heart 2