Holiday Pay

petitepedal

Our custodian does so much work that giving him a bonus eight hours seems like nothing.  On days he has to work, we tell him he can take off an hour or two early on other days.  If it is a holiday where he doesn't have to come in - like Labor Day - we just look the other way when he fills out his time card.

• Heart 2

If 4 hours to a long time employee is going to hurt the Corp I'd just forward date one of the residents departure by one day and call it good

sheesh people. One Board member said no to a couple hours? <shaking head>

#keepaneyeontheTVinthelobby

• Heart 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I worked a holiday years ago and it was triple time :D Sundays are double.

That is quite "civilized"!  I feel like, if it is "you have to work", then 3x is more appropriate. If it is "you can work since there is always work to do", then 2x is fine - ie paid normal for their work, and paid for the holiday.

• Heart 1

Before the end at Pratt and Whitney, 5 of us covered the test cells 24/7.  We were there to keep the cells running and in many cases to troubleshoot engine performance problems as well because the first tendency was to blame the data systems not the engine until proven otherwise.  That did not leave a lot of latitude for vacations, weekends or even sick time.  The rules said we were not supposed to work more than 13 days without a day off but that was often ignored "voluntarily".  Damn straight they paid double and even triple time as the place never shut down for the holidays.  An engine not delivered on time could cost as much as a million dollars a day in penalties.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

I have 5 contract staff who will get the day off without pay on Monday.   I suppose I could give them all pay for the day as it’s my budget it hits  but I had never done this on previous holidays... 

Maybe something to consider for 2020. 

Yep.  The future is the "gig" economy (one step beyond normal contract work).  Don't work, don't get paid.  Very simple. 

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have 5 contract staff who will get the day off without pay on Monday.   I suppose I could give them all pay for the day as it’s my budget it hits  but I had never done this on previous holidays... 

Maybe something to consider for 2020.

Contract folks have a specific contract.  When I worked as a contract worker I was aware that my contract contained no holidays or sick time.  That was a trade off made for the contract and it's pay level.  I'm not using the "contract workers" in the same manner as part time janitors or others however.  IMO the lines for this sort of work have become blurred.  I had a hand in writing my contracts and negotiated a fair price up front.

Some folks work for a contract company however and are assigned or loaned to host companies who often assign their own work requirements that the contract worker may not have been able to negotiate.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I am going to suggest that this holiday off no pay and that the board will discuss this for future holidays...Also noting that it was only brought to my attention yesterday.

You're not going to suggest "work with normal pay" OR "off but no pay"?  Seems many folks, if given the choice of pay vs no pay, pay wins.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Contract folks have a specific contract.  When I worked as a contract worker I was aware that my contract contained no holidays or sick time.  That was a trade off made for the contract and it's pay level.  I'm not using the "contract workers" in the same manner as part time janitors or others however.  IMO the lines for this sort of work have become blurred.  I had a hand in writing my contracts and negotiated a fair price up front.

Some folks work for a contract company however and are assigned or loaned to host companies who often assign their own work requirements that the contract worker may not have been able to negotiate.

Yeah their contract is only for hours worked.  No work, no pay...  I also forgot about my other two states I support, I have 12 contract staff...

One of the other issues is that I do have one person working at each site who will get Holiday pay.  If I pay them for not working then there is less incentive to work...   But I do want to do a cost analysis on paying the team for holidays.

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah their contract is only for hours worked.  No work, no pay...  I also forgot about my other two states I support, I have 12 contract staff... 

One of the other issues is that I do have one person working at each site who will get Holiday pay.  If I pay them for not working then there is less incentive to work...   But I do want to do a cost analysis on paying the team for holidays. 

I guess with petite's situation, it is first a matter of "is there work to be done on the holiday"?  If there is no work, and there are no agreements that someone gets paid for a holiday, then it is a simple decision of have a nice day off with no pay.

If there IS work to be done - ie bathrooms need cleaning, trash needs emptying, floors need mopping, pipes need repairing - and the only reason the custodian will be off is because it is a "holiday", then it really seems to me it is a time to ask the person if they want to work - normal hours and normal pay - or if they want an extra day off (again, without pay).  I find folks who want to work for a living appreciate the chance to actually work in lieu of losing 20% of their weekly paycheck. 

He was offered the day off with no pay...he would rather work it I guess. We do not need a full time caretaker, this guy was interested in this part time gig..it is close to his home..he retired early to do caregiving and is now on his own..not sure of his age..it isn't PC to ask.. I assume when he was hired as part time...holidays were explained to him..the mgmt co hired him..we pay the bills.

23 hours ago, Scrapr said:

If 4 hours to a long time employee is going to hurt the Corp I'd just forward date one of the residents departure by one day and call it good

sheesh people. One Board member said no to a couple hours? <shaking head>

#keepaneyeontheTVinthelobby

It takes a real dickbag to screw that guy over.  "Yay, everybody have fun on your paid holiday - not so fast, Mr. Custodian, we don't consider you a real person".

Screw over the little guy is a very trumpian way to be.  Showing that society cares very little for the most situationally disadvantaged in petty ways is a big symptom of something rotten in the core  Plus, somebody in some way is gonna act out at some point.  "Meh, those fuckers didn't even give me a holiday, I am just going to do a shitty job and 'get sick' after the big holiday party, maybe the next couple of holidays so somebody might actually put two and two together".

Society is often very shortsighted in ways that go against its self-interest, even on a tiny level.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Without any comment or vote from me other than a yes or no vote..it was 7 to 1 not to give him holiday pay...However, it will be discussed at the next bored meeting. These people are gonna drive me round the bend!!

I'm sure they saved a lot of coinage doing that. I mean, Janitor's salaries are expensive these days. Probably saved the whole thing from imploding