This Is BS!!!

Razors Edge

Without the "raking leaves" and "lawn mowing" metrics, I don't know whether to be outraged or not :frantics:

Snow shoveling results in about 11,500 injuries — including 100 fatalities

As winter arrives, it’s worth noting that each year about 11,500 people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms for injuries related to snow shoveling. On average, 100 of those injuries are fatal, generally heart attacks. The data, compiled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and analyzed a few years ago by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Ohio, indicates that soft tissue injuries are the most common (55 percent), followed by lacerations (16 percent), fractures (7 percent) and heart-related injuries (7 percent). In the 17-year span of the data, however, cardiovascular injuries accounted for half of the hospitalizations and 100 percent of the fatalities. The combination of cold (which can cause blood vessels to constrict, decreasing your blood supply) and the strenuous exertion of shoveling (which can quickly increase your heart rate and blood pressure) raises the risk for a heart attack. The quantity and duration of a snowfall seem to increase the chances of injury and death, according to 30 years of data gathered in Quebec and published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. The longer it snowed and the deeper the snow, the higher the rates of hospitalization and death — especially for men. For instance, after snowfalls of more than eight inches, hospital admissions were 16 percent greater than on snow-free days, and 34 percent more deaths were recorded from heart attacks, the researchers found. To keep from becoming one of these statistics, experts say it’s important to do some warm-up exercises before shoveling and take frequent breaks. Push the snow out of the way rather than lift it, and use an ergonomically designed shovel that reduces bending. Or, if you can afford it, consider hiring someone else to remove the snow.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

The combination of cold (which can cause blood vessels to constrict, decreasing your blood supply) and the strenuous exertion of shoveling (which can quickly increase your heart rate and blood pressure) raises the risk for a heart attack.

It’s higher than grass cutting and leaf raking. Best to hire a snow removal service or use a blower or plow if you are of advancing age or have a cardiac history.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s higher than grass cutting and leaf raking. Best to hire a snow removal service or use a blower or plow if you are of advancing age or have a cardiac history.

Has @Kzoo ever hurt himself lawn mowing? 

So, snow is a silent epidemic, eh?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, smudge said:

I've seen a few gruesome x-rays of fingers that got mauled in snowblower augers too. (shudder)

I can’t even imagine anyone that stupid. Who tries to clear the blower with the auger engaged? My blower came with a tool mounted on it for clearing the chute/auger and the auger stops when you take your hand off the controls. I hope I never have to use it.

46 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I can’t even imagine anyone that stupid. Who tries to clear the blower with the auger engaged? My blower came with a tool mounted on it for clearing the chute/auger and the auger stops when you take your hand off the controls. I hope I never have to use it.

It's not turning when they stick their hands in there. It's jammed with ice, so they reach in. Once they loosen the ice, the suddenly moves to where it should be. Crunch! 

Stored energy or something like that....

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

It's not turning when they stick their hands in there. It's jammed with ice, so they reach in. Once they loosen the ice, the suddenly moves to where it should be. Crunch! 

Stored energy or something like that....

I would not have thought of that, engine off it's safe....nope

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I'm sure that those of us who do some regular higher-heart rate exercise are less likely to have problems, but it's always smart to take it easy when you're older.

My cousin Bill was 82 and had a gasoline snow blower.  After a deep snow, his son in law was going to come over to his house and clear his driveway and sidewalks.

Bill went out to make sure the snow blower would start.  He pulled the cord several times, had a heart attack, and died.

Ever since, I make sure to take it easy whenever I have trouble staring a gas powered tool.

I also make sure I take my time shoveling snow.

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm sure that those of us who do some regular higher-heart rate exercise are less likely to have problems, but it's always smart to take it easy when you're older.My cousin Bill was 82 and had a gasoline snow blower.  After a deep snow, his son in law was going to come over to his house and clear his driveway and sidewalks.

Bill went out to make sure the snow blower would start.  He pulled the cord several times, had a heart attack, and died.

Ever since, I make sure to take it easy whenever I have trouble staring a gas powered tool.

I also make sure I take my time shoveling snow.

I asked my cardiologist if I should start to take it easy and he said no, keep doing what you are doing.

My snow blower has electric start. I haven’t used it yet.

9 hours ago, dennis said:

Yeah snow!!!!

Total snow amounts through Saturday morning will range from 1-2 feet (12-24″) in the Tetons, including Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee Ski Areas, with the heaviest snow falling during the day Thursday and again Thursday night.

All those 11,500 injuries - including the 100 fatalities - are glad you are excited. 

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I look at snow shoveling as winter exercise, but like the good doctor Mickin, I try to pace myself. 

I'd say it's a pretty poor substitute for structured exercise.  Maybe you're good at swapping the shovel between hands, though. Not me.