I just hung up on some pushy bastard working for the VA and I feel good about it.

Dottleshead

Guy, calls me up on my private phone telling me he wants a commitment to ensure the VA folks aren't forgotten.  I'm all on board so far.  Then he wants to know if they can count on me for a commitment.  Says we can do it over the phone or they can mail me out an envelope.  I tell him I'm still thinking about it -- I don't like the call on my cell phone nor some asshole pushing me to donate over the phone.  I say maybe.  He balks and continues to use the guilt line that I need to not forget the veterans.  I tell him if he sends something out to me I have to give him my address.  I again pause feeling like this is not a good idea.  Hello? He says... at least 3 times during the call.  I say if he sends me the packet, I'll think about it.  He then tells me I need a commitment of $100+, or $75+, or $35+.  I'm again thinking about it.  If it's legit, I want to honor it and help out -- but then I mention he's calling at a really bad time of the year -- to which he replies, "Uh-huh".  Seriously, what dumb motherfucker calls me on my cell phone and tries to corner me into a commitment over Christmas?  How about -- fuck you and the horse you rode in on.  I decided in that split second that he may be legit but his tactics suck and nobody pressures me into 'donating' money.  I also decided immediately afterward that I'll make a donation to the VA or 'other' sometime in the new year on my own terms and at my own donation level.

It's the holidays folks.  Be careful.  Scammers galore out there.  

• Heart 1

I always ask them to send me their financial reports that show how much goes to the fundraiser and how much goes to the organization they are calling on behalf of.  If they cannot supply that, I will not work with them.

I give directly to the organizations that I give to.

The third party fundraisers usually keep the majority of the money and the people you think you are helping get a few cents on the dollar.

If you want to support the veterans, here is a good starting point

https://www.volunteer.va.gov/apps/VolunteerNow/

• Heart 3

I never donate in response to anything on the phone.  When I want to support a cause, I'll find an organization that seems efficient or that I like for some particular reason and send directly to them.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Dottie said:

Guy, calls me up on my private phone telling me he wants a commitment to ensure the VA folks aren't forgotten.  I'm all on board so far.  Then he wants to know if they can count on me for a commitment.  Says we can do it over the phone or they can mail me out an envelope.  I tell him I'm still thinking about it -- I don't like the call on my cell phone nor some asshole pushing me to donate over the phone.  I say maybe.  He balks and continues to use the guilt line that I need to not forget the veterans.  I tell him if he sends something out to me I have to give him my address.  I again pause feeling like this is not a good idea.  Hello? He says... at least 3 times during the call.  I say if he sends me the packet, I'll think about it.  He then tells me I need a commitment of $100+, or $75+, or $35+.  I'm again thinking about it.  If it's legit, I want to honor it and help out -- but then I mention he's calling at a really bad time of the year -- to which he replies, "Uh-huh".  Seriously, what dumb motherfucker calls me on my cell phone and tries to corner me into a commitment over Christmas?  How about -- fuck you and the horse you rode in on.  I decided in that split second that he may be legit but his tactics suck and nobody pressures me into 'donating' money.  I also decided immediately afterward that I'll make a donation to the VA or 'other' sometime in the new year on my own terms and at my own donation level.

It's the holidays folks.  Be careful.  Scammers galore out there.  

Lots of good causes out there, but I am glad you stood your ground.  Pushy people can go to hell with the bellringers!

• Heart 1

The more that I think about this, the more I feel like "You know who should be supporting the veterans?  Our damn government!"  Seriously, getting involved in all kinds of bad situations and getting our guys shot the hell up, and we can't properly fund them but we can give tax breaks to the super rich who benefit most from maintaining the status quo that the armed forces protect?  This just pisses me off.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The more that I think about this, the more I feel like "You know who should be supporting the veterans?  Our damn government!"  Seriously, getting involved in all kinds of bad situations and getting our guys shot the hell up, and we can't properly fund them but we can give tax breaks to the super rich who benefit most from maintaining the status quo that the armed forces protect?  This just pisses me off.

We can send those guys to war but can't take care of them. I can't stand they make them seek donations from the public. i have always felt this. I could easily rip one party a new asshole, but shall keep it politically clean.

Merry Christmas.

...I get solicitation calls like this all the time from Veteran/Police/Firefighter/Dogs with only 3 legs/Homeless pitches. They're all paid fundraising deals, and as stated above they have a poor record in terms of money spent on the fundraising itself versus what finds its way to the charity in question.  I thought it was because I'm old and have a land line. So I'm happy to discover it's a more universal problem.  I have no problem saying no, but I am dead inside.

• Heart 1

I began cutting back on donations after the United Way of Central Maryland scandal a generation ago.  I had donations automatically deducted from my paycheck for that organization until it was exposed that the salaries for its workers were multiples of those in other United Way offices and monies were being siphoned off into expenses that benefited relatives, etc. of those workers. Little was going to help anyone. After United Way allegedly cleaned house, not a single note or public statement of apology occurred. I stopped my donations as did many of my fellow teachers who were doing the same.

As the son of a disabled WW2 veteran, I'm bothered by the barrage of TV ads for one veterans assistance organization, Wounded Warriors, where CBS, etc. exposes showed they only spend 54%-60% of donations to help veterans vs 90%+ for most veterans aid organizations. Second, it misleads and acts as if these veterans are completely ignored and neglected. Yes, the disabled vets don't get all they should - our extended family has one from Iraq that's been treated very badly - but they do get a good disabled veteran's pension, as my dad did.

CBS: "Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust spends 96 percent of its budget on vets. Fisher House devotes 91 percent. But according to public records reported by "Charity Navigator," the Wounded Warrior Project spends 60 percent on vets" - and Wounded Warriors counts money spent on ads as money spent on vets. One veteran with a brain injury and PTSD said, "You're using our injuries, our darkest days, our hardships, to make money. So you can have these big parties,"  More money was spent on resorts, parties, and alcohol as on the organization's largest program.

It's reached the point where I won't donate to any but my local fire department, etc. or organization where I've confirmed the game isn't to raise money and spend most on salaries.

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, jsharr said:

I always ask them to send me their financial reports that show how much goes to the fundraiser and how much goes to the organization they are calling on behalf of.  If they cannot supply that, I will not work with them.

I give directly to the organizations that I give to.

The third party fundraisers usually keep the vast majority of the money and the people you think you are helping get a few cents on the dollar.

All of this.

17 hours ago, Dottie said:

I just hung up on some pushy bastard working for the VA and I feel good about it.

He wasn't working for the VA and it is a bullshit scam that preys on older or naive folks.  Same with all the other scam ones like the police or fire.  Been going on for DECADES.

It actually scares me -  a LOT - that you let him get anywhere into his spiel before hanging up.  Seriously, if sirens and bells and alarms weren't going off in your head from the get go, PLEASE take this as a warning to wake up and be more thoughtful in your life.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

He wasn't working for the VA and it is a bullshit scam that preys on older or naive folks.  Same with all the other scam ones like the police or fire.  Been going on for DECADES.

It actually scares me -  a LOT - that you let him get anywhere into his spiel before hanging up.  Seriously, if sirens and bells and alarms weren't going off in your head from the get go, PLEASE take this as a warning to wake up and be more thoughtful in your life.

Golly. Thanks for the pro tip.

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Golly. Thanks for the pro tip.

No problem.

Also, and not necessarily in your recent case, just hang up immediately if there is any sort of pause between you answering the phone with a "Hello" and the person/AI on the other end.

If they really want your money, they'll send you several huge envelopes in the mail with calendars, wrapping paper, and even nickels!  And a lot of address labels. A SHIT TON never-ending supply of address labels.

19 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No problem.

Also, and not necessarily in your recent case, just hang up immediately if there is any sort of pause between you answering the phone with a "Hello" and the person/AI on the other end.

Yup!  I can't believe they haven't managed to eliminate that telltale pause.  I love to hang up on those rare occasions when I do pick up the phone on the wife's orders to stop the ringing.