Jump to content

Fired for the flu


Allen
 Share

Recommended Posts



7 minutes ago, Allen said:

A friend of mine tested positive for the flu. His boss just canned him over the phone. He was allowed two days of missed work. After that one is done. 

My daughter-in-law in a lawyer who practices employment law. If your friend is in Missouri or Illinois, she might be able to get him a $ettlement.

  • Awesome 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JerrySTL said:

My daughter-in-law in a lawyer who practices employment law. If your friend is in Missouri or Illinois, she might be able to get him a $ettlement.

Georgia is a right to work state. One can be canned at will. 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Allen said:

Georgia is a right to work state. One can be canned at will. 

For what it’s worth, while both statements are true, they are entirely separate from one another. 

And FWIW, dude’s boss is a profound asswipe. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My daughter-in-law in a lawyer who practices employment law. If your friend is in Missouri or Illinois, she might be able to get him a $ettlement.

I'll apologize now.   So this is a new kind of ambulance chaser?

And that boss is a ass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'll apologize now.   So this is a new kind of ambulance chaser?

And that boss is a ass.

Not new. If you fire someone, you better have your ducks lined up even in a Right To Work state. My DIL deals with things like racism and people with disabilities. Her biggest case was with a guy elected mayor who thought that he was crowned king. He fired 10 city employees and hired his buddies. She got those fired employees their jobs back and a lot of money. Her cut was substantial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Not new. If you fire someone, you better have your ducks lined up even in a Right To Work state. My DIL deals with things like racism and people with disabilities. Her biggest case was with a guy elected mayor who thought that he was crowned king. He fired 10 city employees and hired his buddies. She got those fired employees their jobs back and a lot of money. Her cut was substantial. 

TORT REFORM!!!!!!

:frantics:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Not new. If you fire someone, you better have your ducks lined up even in a Right To Work state. My DIL deals with things like racism and people with disabilities. Her biggest case was with a guy elected mayor who thought that he was crowned king. He fired 10 city employees and hired his buddies. She got those fired employees their jobs back and a lot of money. Her cut was substantial. 

After I read your other post, I just pictured you riding your bike, and you come upon an accident, and you pass out your DIL business cards...  saying you can get a $ettlement.

Yeah, I know... my sense of humor is twisted. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Indy said:

For some reason, I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story.

This.  We are only hearing one side via a very thin 3rd party.  Did the guy have other absences prior and this just stacked up?  Were there other job performance issues?  Was he a temp employee through an agency?  Was he allowed to accumulated sick days but had just started?

Remember that the other side of this is the employer has rules he has to live by as well.  If there's a policy in place, the employer can't play favorites and enforce it differently.

You are only hearing one little part of one side of the story.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This.  We are only hearing one side via a very thin 3rd party.  Did the guy have other absences prior and this just stacked up?  Were there other job performance issues?  Was he a temp employee through an agency?  Was he allowed to accumulated sick days but had just started?

Remember that the other side of this is the employer has rules he has to live by as well.  If there's a policy in place, the employer can't play favorites and enforce it differently.

You are only hearing one little part of one side of the story.

Exactly why we need TORT REFORM!!! Clearly folks are trying to game the system and take sick days they don't deserve or can't justify.  I rarely see a post that shows a manager is acting poorly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly why we need TORT REFORM!!! Clearly folks are trying to game the system and take sick days they don't deserve or can't justify.  I rarely see a post that shows a manager is acting poorly.

I've certainly experienced managers acting poorly first hand, the last company I was at they tried really damn hard to come up with a reason to fire me before laying me off so they could save severance pay (an entire two freaking weeks of pay).  But there are rules in place and they couldn't come up with anything so laid me off instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I've certainly experienced managers acting poorly first hand, the last company I was at they tried really damn hard to come up with a reason to fire me before laying me off so they could save severance pay (an entire two freaking weeks of pay).  But there are rules in place and they couldn't come up with anything so laid me off instead.

For some reason, I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Razors Edge said:

For some reason, I have a feeling there is a lot more to the story.

Not really, the cut my entire department because they thought we were to expensive.  Afterwards, I heard from friends in corporate that the manager that cut us, really didn't know what we did and they were in a panic now because we were a key function.  He said corporate was actually taking the stance that he had to figure it out himself and they were not helping because he cut the group every other was trying to model and the group that they used to train other divisions on how to do the work.  I got quite the laugh over all of it.

 

I found out through the grapevine that he was questioning my hours worked by only looking at the hours my computer was logged into the network.  Was trying to get me fired for working less than 40 hours a week (I did a lot of automated scripts at the time and would often test off line for safety purposes) and completely ignored the times I would work around 80 hours a week (while only getting paid 40 because he wouldn't approve OT, but the work had to be done).  He was a complete piece of shit to the point I had to go onto anxiety medication around 6 months before I was let go just to function.  Of course that made me a little more mouthy, when I got laid off, I laughed and told them good luck, no one person could replace what I did.  My automated scripts went with me and my friends at corporate were glad because they said they couldn't support any of it and what I was doing was far beyond what they could do.

But yes, I put in 15 years, stellar reviews the entire time and ass hat manager tried everything he could to screw me out of two freaking weeks of severance.  He tried to do the same thing to my manager.  My other coworker, he left his computer at work and on the entire time and then would remote into it if needed, so I couldn't pull that stunt on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...