1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
World 1,760,995 +62,160 107,645 +4,961 395,656 1,257,694 50,022 226 13.8    
USA 521,714 +18,838 20,064 +1,317 28,580 473,070 10,952 1,576 61 2,612,884 7,894
Italy 152,271 +4,694 19,468 +619 32,534 100,269 3,381 2,518 322 963,473 15,935
Spain 161,852 +3,579 16,353 +272 59,109 86,390 7,371 3,462 350 355,000 7,593
France 129,654 +4,785 13,832 +635 26,391 89,431 6,883 1,986 212 333,807 5,114
UK 78,991 +5,233 9,875 +917 344 68,772 1,559 1,164 145 334,974 4,934
Iran 70,029 +1,837 4,357 +125 41,947 23,725 3,987 834 52 251,703 2,997
Belgium 28,018 +1,351 3,346 +327 5,986 18,686 1,262 2,418 289 102,151 8,814
China 81,953 +46 3,339 +3 77,525 1,089 141 57 2  

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The problem, I am told, if that the germ is very smart and is able to resist the effects of antibiotics.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:26 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I know. Our dear leader doesn’t seem to know this. He thinks this “germ” is dangerous because it’s evaded the effects of antibiotics.

Good lord, that guy knows absolutely nothing about science, health, really not much of anything.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:34 PM, Razors Edge said:

Almost double in a week.  Not a super high number, but and adding 40 or so a day.

image.thumb.png.01b9e31cfa3500bc84fbd863a3816272.png

Are we getting up towards Snohomish county rates yet?  Cases closing in, but deaths are fewer.  A doubling in a week, though, for us - total and deaths.

image.png.abe819f627aab066c615e59b21a111e8.png

image.thumb.png.73a4d0d25f74d85eb4f464f903138be2.png

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Are we getting up towards Snohomish county rates yet?  Cases closing in, but deaths are fewer.  A doubling in a week, though, for us - total and deaths.

image.png.abe819f627aab066c615e59b21a111e8.png

Dude, you're pulling out Chinese numbers.  Here's the latest off of Google.

Snohomish County
Confirmed
Recovered
-
Deaths

Washington
Confirmed
Recovered
-
Deaths

image.png.251d2959a81092d1fa4b574c507dd24e.pngUnited States
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

image.png.02f410ed5157131bc3932d4f8057c03a.pngWorldwide
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

Dude, you're pulling out Chinese numbers.  Here's the latest off of Google.

Snohomish County
Confirmed
Recovered
-
Deaths

Washington
Confirmed
Recovered
-
Deaths

image.png.251d2959a81092d1fa4b574c507dd24e.pngUnited States
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

image.png.02f410ed5157131bc3932d4f8057c03a.pngWorldwide
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

I get my info from some moran on the web:

image.png.209451424a69e4a3ace859c5248a7688.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Sadly, we will all be touched by this.  Sorry to hear. 

I'm really not looking forward to the first announcement by a member in here that says they've got it.  I suspect it's only a matter of time.  I personally am starting to get borderline paranoid about it.  Life is pretty fragile as it is.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm really not looking forward to the first announcement by a member in here that says they've got it.  I suspect it's only a matter of time.  I personally am starting to get borderline paranoid about it.  Life is pretty fragile as it is.

Yes, this will happen.  Look at how it bounced around a little bit in your neck of the woods, then caught fire here.  Oh well, that is NYC, all densely packed like sardines and full of wickedness.  It started spreading out to the outer boroughs and burbs, then NJ and CT, and now many more people have it and it is spreading out.

I hate to say it, but it sure seems definite that it will come to every neighborhood where the people in the forum live, except maybe Dennis.  I hope antisocial distancing helps more before a vaccine is effective and distributed widely, but the medium term doesn't seem so promising.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, this will happen.  Look at how it bounced around a little bit in your neck of the woods, then caught fire here.  Oh well, that is NYC, all densely packed like sardines and full of wickedness.  It started spreading out to the outer boroughs and burbs, then NJ and CT, and now many more people have it and it is spreading out.

I hate to say it, but it sure seems definite that it will come to every neighborhood where the people in the forum live, except maybe Dennis.  I hope antisocial distancing helps more before a vaccine is effective and distributed widely, but the medium term doesn't seem so promising.

I hope it works too.  I'm being as antisocial as possible.

58 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

We are considered a hotspot for Wyoming. We have the highest number of cases per capita in the state. WY just had it's first death. We were the last state to have someone die. It's not bad here compared to other areas of the country or world. The fear is from tourists. Swan Valley, ID got nailed. We are a similar ski town. It seems the tourists have mostly left, but the second homeowners continue to fly in on their private jets. If they fly in from hotspots like NY, they could bring it. We are not predicted to peak until May 7.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

We are considered a hotspot for Wyoming. We have the highest number of cases per capita in the state. WY just had it's first death. We were the last state to have someone die. It's not bad here compared to other areas of the country or world. The fear is from tourists. Swan Valley, ID got nailed. We are a similar ski town. It seems the tourists have mostly left, but the second homeowners continue to fly in on their private jets. If they fly in from hotspots like NY, they could bring it. We are not predicted to peak until May 7.

For town of Banff, in national park, they're shut down. Only 3% occupancy in their hotels right now. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-a-ghost-town-with-tourist-access-cut-off-banff-unemployment-soars/

It gets a lot of Alberta and tourists from outside of Canada.  It's important they hold the lockdown this year:  this area has been very popular with mainland Chinese, Japanese (and probably Korean) tourists in the past decade or so. So if China is lifting controls slowly this year.....

It is not clear if they have any cases but the town won't be able to cope well. Their hospital is not equipped for acute/intensive care. People seriously injured /sick get transported to Calgary which is 110 km. away.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For town of Banff, in national park, they're shut down. Only 3% occupancy in their hotels right now. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-a-ghost-town-with-tourist-access-cut-off-banff-unemployment-soars/

It gets a lot of Alberta and tourists from outside of Canada.  It's important they hold the lockdown this year:  this area has been very popular with mainland Chinese, Japanese (and probably Korean) tourists in the past decade or so. So if China is lifting controls slowly this year.....

It is not clear if they have any cases but the town won't be able to cope well. Their hospital is not equipped for acute/intensive care. People seriously injured /sick get transported to Calgary which is 110 km. away.

My brother had his cooks prepare and deliver all food from the refrigerators to a nearby food bank before closing his pub in Banff.  This is costing him over 100K per month. 

• Sad 3

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My brother had his cooks prepare and deliver all food from the refrigerators to a nearby food bank before closing his pub in Banff.  This is costing him over 100K per month. 

Super hard. He must seriously wonder if he'll have anything left after pandemic or be in serious debt. It is also time to reconsider a different biz, if he was ever entertaining that over the last few years.

Dearie's son is striking a different partnership with another new person. Dearie is close to closing the contract (which dearie crafted.  He used to do this as contracts portfolio negotiator and the run it by his corporate lawyer for oil firm).  Dearie and I have serious reservations about this new party. But hey, son is 40+ yrs. old...big boy 

Their landlord relationship at present location needs to improve.  Hoping for another  shuttered store location and better landlord to move and open up on Danforth St.

Online ordering for meat and.....organic eggs has taken off like a shot in  past 2 wks. There is a customer who does a lot of baking who wants to buy average of 6 dz. eggs / wk. from shop.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We've never been inside that pub in Banff. Neither dearie or I are pubby customers. He did go for  drink or 2 with work colleagues several decades ago in Toronto and biz trips. Then he lost interest when his part-time farm venture outside of Peterborough consumed his energy/time.

I would have to look at the menu.  I admit that I'm not a bar person and would feel out of place. 

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Super hard. He must seriously wonder if he'll have anything left after pandemic or be in serious debt. It is also time to reconsider a different biz, if he was ever entertaining that over the last few years.

Dearie's son is striking a different partnership with another new person. Dearie is close to closing the contract (which dearie crafted.  He used to do this as contracts portfolio negotiator and the run it by his corporate lawyer for oil firm).  Dearie and I have serious reservations about this new party. But hey, son is 40+ yrs. old...big boy 

Their landlord relationship at present location needs to improve.  Hoping for a shuttered other store location and better landlord to open up on Danforth St.

Online ordering for meat and.....organic eggs has taken off like a shot in  past 2 wks. There is a customer who does a lot of baking who wants to buy average of 6 dz. eggs / wk. from shop.

It is a very successful pub and he has very deep pockets so, he isn't going anywhere.  His next career is parking himself in Maui for 6 months of the year.  :) 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It is a very successful pub and he has very deep pockets so, he isn't going anywhere.  His next career is parking himself in Maui for 6 months of the year.  :) 

Maui --after covid-19 presumably. Unless he has a place already which still a lot of small towns and islands don't want visitors/vacationers.

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

We are shut down too. I would guess our hotels are at less than 3% occupancy as most are closed. We also see tourists from around the world. I know you don't think Canadians come here, but they do. That's a fact. In 2015 Yellowstone, saw 500,000 Chinese tourists. Our parks see 3.5-4 million visitors a year. 

Our hospital is small. I see regular helicopter flights. They fly many patients to Idaho so that they can handle the case load load here. 

11 minutes ago, dennis said:

We are shut down too. I would guess our hotels are at less than 3% occupancy as most are closed. We also see tourists from around the world. I know you don't think Canadians come here, but they do. That's a fact. In 2015 Yellowstone, saw 500,000 Chinese tourists. Our parks see 3.5-4 million visitors a year. 

Our hospital is small. I see regular helicopter flights. They fly many patients to Idaho so that they can handle the case load load here. 

A work colleague has been to Yellowstone and many years later, she brought along her sister (from Wuhan) and nephew within the last few years.  Not surprisingly they love the cooler summers, fresh air, etc.  They enjoyed themselves. I just don't hear  other colleagues talk about Yellowstone at all.  Some of our national parks are just huge, etc...so much to explore in home province and next door province (British Columbia).  It's more expensive for Canadians to travel in the U.S. on a frequent basis. Our dollar is weaker, so maybe some of these colleagues don't go  often. I know a lot of them head out to British Columbia ..just a few hrs. of driving for them.

As for Chinese visitors from China:  https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/tourism-industry-adjusting-to-chinese-canadian-tensions-1574117

..in 2018, Canada welcomed 737,000 visitors from China, a record-breaking number that was up six per cent over 2017.

She said China continues to be a vital market for Alberta’s tourism economy, and in 2016 accounted for 135,000 visitors, many of whom visit Banff and Lake Louise.

A new study released Monday by the Bellevue-based Institute for Disease Modeling shows the rate of transmission from one person to another has dropped in King and Snohomish counties and is now at or near a level viewed as manageable by public health experts. This analysis attributes the decline largely to the strict social distancing regulations.

Other data — such as the rate of increase in new COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths — are also trending in the right direction in many parts of the state as well.

Modeling from the University of Washington shows daily statewide deaths from the virus could drop below five by May 1. But, if Gov. Jay Inslee lifts his “Stay home, stay healthy” order, coronavirus-related deaths could rise again in the summer, the same modeling predicts.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/when-life-returns-to-normal-it-wont-be-the-normal-you-knew/