COVID-19 Updates

Dottleshead

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

As far as I know, it is still exceedingly difficult for anyone but celebrities and athletes to get tests in the US.

In Toronto and Vancouver, you do have to manifest the symptoms of covid to get the test.  Canadian federal health regulatory authority has just approved a portable test module kit that will show negative or positive result in a few hrs.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Has that mattered in the past? What changed now?

Right. We were having a good laugh over this last night. Mostly the site where you go to find your payment and sign up for direct deposit. We didn't give it any thought until it didn't work. :lol:

25 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

You're being a little facetious....after all, with the known reported AMerican covid case numbers, some peasant folk got tested.  :) 

Only upon hospitalization or living or working closely with someone positive.  This is what everybody is saying, along with doctor's and nurses can't get tested unless falling in line with the listed conditions, which is really screwed up.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, my wife and I have absolutely ZERO need or desire for a stimulus check.  Whatever we get will just sit in the bank - snoozing away - as we slowly stockpile more and more cash due to nothing to spend it on.  :(

I'd 100% rather have all that unneeded $$$ (we can't be the only people in our boat) spent on addressing the PPE and testing and planning/coordinating and global response to this COVID-19 stuff.

Send it to me, I will put it to good use immediately.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Send it to me, I will put it to good use immediately.

Exactly!

"stimulus" while reason for the economic collapse still exists is a complete waste of money.  If I ever get my money, it's going to sit, because I can't spend it where it will stimulate the people who need stimulating (get your mind outta the gutter)

The people that need the $1200 right now, need more than $1200.  They need rent money, food money, pay the electric bill money.  And that money is sitting in the bank account of a couple making up tp $150K,  and still getting a paycheck.  It is a vote buy, not a solution.

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

Exactly!

"stimulus" while reason for the economic collapse still exists is a complete waste of money.  If I ever get my money, it's going to sit, because I can't spend it where it will stimulate the people who need stimulating (get your mind outta the gutter)

The people that need the $1200 right now, need more than $1200.  They need rent money, food money, pay the electric bill money.  And that money is sitting in the bank account of a couple making up tp $150K,  and still getting a paycheck.  It is a vote buy, not a solution.

I guess, in my case, I see some of it going to some local charities who need some help, but it seems a round-about way to help.  It's a shame, but not unexpected, that the execution of technical stuff like this is poorly done :(

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Exactly!

It's classic trickle down.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I remain a firm believer of trickle up and not trickle down.  It's scary to think there are any normal folks in support of the lie that was trickle down economics.

It's a shame that the money didn't go out as early as appeared was intended. It was supposed to go like, close everything down and send everyone enough money to get by for a month. 

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It's a shame that the money didn't go out as early as appeared was intended. It was supposed to go like, close everything down and send everyone enough money to get by for a month. 

On my walk today I stoppedat the corner bar because my friend the owner was there working on the computer paying bills.

Since Wisconsin is shut down until the end of next month he said that there's a good chance that he won't be able to stay in business. I also heard that the only coffee shop in town might be going under.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

Since Wisconsin is shut down until the end of next month he said that there's a good chance that he won't be able to stay in business. I also heard that the only coffee shop in town might be going under.

That is very sad.  If he doesn't survive this then the economic  nitch he fills will be replaced by some generic bar like Applebees.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

That is very sad.  If he doesn't survive this then the economic  nitch he fills will be replaced by some generic bar like Applebees.

The building is protected under the historic downtown mainstream. 

This is a small town where the downtown is 4 blocks long and struggling to keep businesses open on a good day. 3 restaurants in the downtown area are still open for carry out only but when I talked to the owners they the carry out alone is not paying the bills. 

It's tuff times for all the small mom and pop business owners while the big box stores the next town over remain open. This little town everything was forced to shut down except 4 stores and they are open with reduced hours. 

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

I don't know about you guys -- but that stimulus check put me in a pretty good position on the credit card front.  It made a nice sizeable dent.  Hey, credit card companies need love too.

Far too much stimulus money went to large corporations and far to little went to the small business owners it was meant for.  Business as usual in America.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Far too much stimulus money went to large corporations and far to little went to the small business owners it was meant for.  Business as usual in America.

The house next door has 2 new big screen tv's 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I am a small business.  I got approved 2 days ago.  The SBA put this in the hands of the banks.  That’s the only way to make it happen quickly.  So it was a function of you relationship with your bank.  So far 349 billion (billion with a B) has gone to businesses with 500 and fewer employees.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve been doing takeout from a local restaurant about once a week, and buying beer from my favorite local brewpub more often than I care to admit. Tipping as if I was dining in. I feel fortunate to be working through all of this.

One brewery here does only crowlers, and the other I think sells those, as well as cheap growlers that are new each time, not refilled.  Bought my first crowlers last weekend.  I like supporting the smaller and more modest brewery.  The big popular one has more customers I am sure.

42 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I am a small business.  I got approved 2 days ago.  The SBA put this in the hands of the banks.  That’s the only way to make it happen quickly.  So it was a function of you relationship with your bank.  So far 349 billion (billion with a B) has gone to businesses with 500 and fewer employees.

349 billion was the total amount available before the fund ran out of money.

Early evidence suggests that the efforts have disproportionately helped manufacturers and construction firms at the expense of the hospitality businesses — including restaurants, bars and hotels — that have suffered the highest rates of job loss in a month in which nearly 17 million Americans have filed for unemployment. The loans are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, an approach that has favored businesses that have existing relationships with lenders and the resources to navigate the government application process.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/politics/coronavirus-small-business-program.html?auth=login-email&login=email

It's too bad that most of the restaurants and actual small business owners have a lot fewer than 500 employees.

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

One brewery here does only crowlers, and the other I think sells those, as well as cheap growlers that are new each time, not refilled.  Bought my first crowlers last weekend.  I like supporting the smaller and more modest brewery.  The big popular one has more customers I am sure.

I have never heard of a crowler before, but it makes sense!

https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/what-is-a-crowler-beer

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I have never heard of a crowler before, but it makes sense!

https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/what-is-a-crowler-beer

I have a few of them and the taverns around here will fill them with you favorite microbrew. 

I'm trying my best at trying to keep the small businesses in town alive. 

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

349 billion was the total amount available before the fund ran out of money.

Early evidence suggests that the efforts have disproportionately helped manufacturers and construction firms at the expense of the hospitality businesses — including restaurants, bars and hotels — that have suffered the highest rates of job loss in a month in which nearly 17 million Americans have filed for unemployment. The loans are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, an approach that has favored businesses that have existing relationships with lenders and the resources to navigate the government application process.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/us/politics/coronavirus-small-business-program.html?auth=login-email&login=email

It's too bad that most of the restaurants and actual small business owners have a lot fewer than 500 employees.

The government application process was less than 2 pages.  There was no personal guarantee and no collateral requirement.  They could NOT make it any simpler.  And if a small business doesn’t have a relationship with a bank, who’s fault is that.  The SBA And state  Small Business organizations across the country were offering help.

41 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The government application process was less than 2 pages.  There was no personal guarantee and no collateral requirement.  They could NOT make it any simpler.  And if a small business doesn’t have a relationship with a bank, who’s fault is that.  The SBA And state  Small Business organizations across the country were offering help.

Did you get the part that they were beat out by large companies?  Small business gets screwed again as a ma and pa restaurant might take an extra day to fill out forms while trying to cook enough to stay alive.

Frankly if this was going to companies with 500 employees instead of those with 7 or 8 then it was another typical bs slush fund.

main street USA:  Platteville Wisconson where they really needed the money.

Platteville, Wisconsin, Main Street ... | Main street america ...

you're right, their fault.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Did you get the part that they were beat out by large companies?  Small business gets screwed again as a ma and pa restaurant might take an extra day to fill out forms while trying to cook enough to stay alive.

Frankly if this was going to companies with 500 employees instead of those with 7 or 8 then it was another typical bs slush fund.

main street USA:  Platteville Wisconson where they really needed the money.

Platteville, Wisconsin, Main Street ... | Main street america ...

you're right, their fault.

You’re right

I’m out 

1 minute ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

I would have thought you make too much money to qualify. If there is unemployment why do we need "Stimulus money" trump's name on the check?

If I filed separately I would not have seen much. But because I am married, we fell below the cutoff line. Mr. Visa was happy.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Everyone keeps talking about the curve leveling. Frankly I am not seeing it. Where the hell is the horizontal line?

First thing... the curves are based on testing.   The problem is we can't test millions of people with tests that take days of lab work.   They need a quick and simple test, which doesn't exist yet. 

Apparently there is a new quick finger prick blood test that is being developed, for COVID 19 antibodies.  Then there is this comment about the new antibody test;  Some scientists have also expressed misgivings about the accuracy and reliability of kits used in the studies.  The interesting thing is... if the new test is indeed accurate for detecting COVID 19 antibodies, the actual infection rate  for COVID 19 could be 50 to 80 TIMES greater that what is being reported.

Based on the data we have....  I'd say the curve for the TOTAL number of cases is not leveling.   The new number of cased per day is leveling.    But then again... maybe that leveling is because that's the daily limit is testing? 

image.png.acd08a8ee51d48a2bd5a6e2f375d6a81.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1