So sales going like gangbusters

shootingstar

So the online ordering site addendum to walk-in shop for meat, has been going well. And this year, instead of much turkey, people are ordering lamb for the Easter meal.  :scratchhead:Maybe it's just easier to prep. lamb dish vs. a turkey which sticks around forever with leftovers.

It's been so busy with advance online orders, that the guys are working on Good Friday, strictly just to respond to the volume and prepare the orders for pick-up /delivery tomorrow.  Yesterday total of 16 dozen organic eggs were purchased.

and Amazon is backed up in its deliveries:   https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/covid-19-retailers-e-commerce-surge?video_autoplay=true  

• Heart 2

32 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So the online ordering site addendum to walk-in shop for meat, has been going well. And this year, instead of much turkey, people are ordering lamb for the Easter meal.  :scratchhead:Maybe it's just easier to prep. lamb dish vs. a turkey which sticks around forever with leftovers.

It's been so busy with advance online orders, that the guys are working on Good Friday, strictly just to respond to the volume and prepare the orders for pick-up /delivery tomorrow.  Yesterday total of 16 dozen organic eggs were purchased.

and Amazon is backed up in its deliveries:   https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/covid-19-retailers-e-commerce-surge?video_autoplay=true  

Lamb is a very common Easter dish and has been for many years.  We lambed in winter in the late 60s in South Dakota, and fed our lambs, so that they would be ready for the Easter market, that normally yielded higher prices than occurred at other times of the year.  Now Ramadan is also a period for high lamb sales. I've personally never heard of people eating turkey for Easter, but that is just me.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Lamb is a very common Easter dish and has been for many years.  We lambed in winter in the late 60s in South Dakota, and fed our lambs, so that they would be ready for the Easter market, that normally yielded higher prices than occurred at other times of the year.  Now Ramadan is also a period for high lamb sales. I've personally never heard of people eating turkey for Easter, but that is just me.

My family never ate lamb but it is an Easter thing with my wife’s family and apparently with many Americans. 

My family and apparently @shootingstar never got the memo.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My family never ate lamb but it is an Easter thing with my wife’s family and apparently with many Americans. 

My family and apparently @shootingstar never got the memo.  

I never ate lamb the first 22-23 years of my life.  Ate my first lamb after moving to Colorado in the 60s, and the mutton chops came from a middle eastern cafe in California. I've been a fan ever since, and many of those years were lean ones for us, when we were both going to school and working part time jobs.  Not sure where RG got the 'rich folks' food idea.

Just now, sheep_herder said:

I was amazed how much lamb was served in China during my two visits.  I expected it in Inner Mongolia, but it was served other places as well, lamb, as well as, mutton.

There's are greater variety of Chinese lamb dishes in central and northern regions of China.  One of my favourite Vancouver restaurants specializes in this type of cuisine where some the soups, stews and a dim sum includes lamb.  Latter is not what I would consider a widespread way of using lamb.  

31 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I never ate lamb the first 22-23 years of my life.  Ate my first lamb after moving to Colorado in the 60s, and the mutton chops came from a middle eastern cafe in California. I've been a fan ever since, and many of those years were lean ones for us, when we were both going to school and working part time jobs.  Not sure where RG got the 'rich folks' food idea.

Yeah dunno &  it wouldn’t have described my wife’s family either.

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Not sure where RG got the 'rich folks' food idea.

Hmm, it could be because I didn't know anyone that ever served anything so exotic (this was Ohio in the 60's and 70's, after all), and any restaurant that served it was very expensive and overly fanciful.   We didn't go to those restaurants, you see - nobody did. 

This was the time that beef was king of all meats, pork second, chicken a far distant third, and anything else barely registered.  There were also no restaurants that could have survived at the time that were in any way "ethnic", aside from Chinese food, so no cheap Jamaican restaurants to serve goat or Indian places to serve lamb.   Taco Bell coming to Ohio was a big monstrous thing and taught us that there were actual people from Mexico, that just didn't seem likely before that happened.  Chi Chi's rolling in on that wave gave legitimacy to Mexican food, if you can believe that.

Anyway, I may have at one point asked about lamb and probably gotten the "It is really expensive" answer, too.

I have probably shared this but when my son was around 4 or 5 the dreaded MIL was visiting and wanted lamb so made us a roast lamb for dinner one night.

MIL, oh this is delicious don’t you think?!?! Everyone kept quiet except son: “it tastes like shit!!!!”. He basically said what we were all thinking... That was the last time I had lamb...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have probably shared this but when my son was around 4 or 5 the dreaded MIL was visiting and wanted lamb so made us a roast lamb for dinner one night.

MIL, oh this is delicious don’t you think?!?! Everyone kept quiet except son: “it tastes like shit!!!!”. He basically said what we were all thinking... That was the last time I had lamb...

One of the things I was taught in school was that lamb has abit of fat..and there are certain cooking techniques..

That said, I've never prepared any lamb at home. Whatever I've eaten and enjoyed, have been restaurant dishes.  

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Maybe they're going to put lamb's blood over their doors so the Angel of Death will pass over their houses this Passover season!

image.jpeg.d14c9ed32b0fb2591f6979f99a21ab67.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Confused 1

We never had lamb..it just wasn't eaten by many in Northern MN..I did have to make lamb chops once or twice when I lived in with a woman on hospice...and yeah it was expensive..certainly not in my family's budget growing up. 

I watched some cooking show do lamb last week..and thought  hey I could do lamb...2 lamb chops about 1/2  a pound was $12something ....that was too much for my budget.

We sold ours for $10/pound, and the store added their markup, when we were selling commercially.  We ate what people did not buy.  The cheapest route to go for most folks is to buy a lamb from a producer, and slaughter their own.  Doesn't take long to see why the high price, when you add the cost of processing to the cost of the live lamb. Then someone like me can only sell certain cuts, and we eat the rest. Most people like lamb chops, but those in the know really like lamb shanks.  We like to have the legs cut into steaks, and cook and eat these just as we would a lamb chop. Like I said earlier, lamb was not a part of my diet before my mid-20s.

• Heart 2

My mom and my grandmother liked lamb. They always served it with a mint sauce they made with fresh mint or with mint jelly from the store. I thought it was cool putting jelly on meat. I have no idea if it was expensive, I’m guessing back then it was cheap. My LGS sells it but I have never tried it. It seemed to be priced about the same as good beef. Lamb roasts are popular around here where they roast a whole lamb for a party. It’s pretty tasty cooked that way.

• Awesome 1

It's been insane for sales volume this weekend so far -- (and they are closed today): nearly triple the sales compared to last year. However they will move part of operation to another location, which dearie and I think it's less optimal. (Not near subway station.) But it's son's decision. 

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

It's been insane for sales volume this weekend so far -- (and they are closed today): nearly triple the sales compared to last year. However they will move part of operation to another location, which dearie and I think it's less optimal. (Not near subway station.) But it's son's decision. 

And sold 16 dozen organic eggs.  Hey, it's Easter.,,, and it's comfort food.