Made a offer on a new home today

Dottleshead

Congratulations...  

If they accept the offer, would you get to suggest anything about what is being selected for the home?  Wall colors, floor materials, etc...   That might be a difficult ask but it could save you some changes to a home that was just built.  Maybe that's something that can be negotiated?     Like... you don't want to rip out a brand new carpet because  _____ (fill in the blank)

WoBG and I found a storage facility within a half mile of the location where we built our new home.  We moved our stuff mostly by ourselves, with our Subaru and a cargo trailer.  Eventually we filled 2 storage units.  We moved stuff to storage when we had time.  Then when we moved into the new home, the last part of the move didn't take that much time, our stuff was very close.

Moving a lot of things early, allowed us to clean out some of the rooms of our old home and that made cleaning and painting the old home so much easier.    I did get rid of a lot of old stuff too (WoBG not so much) so we had less to move. 

And... good luck...  moving and selling a home is stressful.  We were building a home too, that's even more stressful.   WoBG and I agreed recently since we survived all of that stress and unexpected fun... we can survive just about anything together.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Looks pretty green to me.

hey @Dottles, was Bellingham the airport the Stones has to fly into to get to a show in Vancouver in 1972, since they couldn’t fly into Canada from LA due to late filing of paperwork? Inquiring minds want to know.

4FAB82D4-5D64-4D55-AA6E-0281D69E894B.png

I don't know for sure but it sounds right.  Bellingham is the airport you're going to land at if you're going to Vancouver.  It should be noted this is also the same airport that Der Trump landed at and had a rally at in Lynden last election.  It's quite the mixture.  77,000 folks in B'ham and about 25% of those are college kids and if you just travel 20 miles north up into Lynden it's super conservative.  I'm going to land somewhere northeast of the airport.

23 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's pretty rural but expanding.  Incredibly beautiful.  Nothing like the 60 mile radius surrounding Seattle though.  I"m ready to see it in the rear view mirror.  

I hear you, I can’t do big cities. I tried Atlanta for a couple of years and I couldn’t do it.  
Had a place in Druid Hills and then moved to Euclid Ave, in Little 5 Points. Only a couple of blocks from one another but culturally worlds apart.
I can’t do the traffic.  The sheer density of people freaks me out too.   

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

We are trying to sell before the bubble bursts. If we can't cash in -- then I'm hosed either way -- but would be a lot less hosed if we unloaded this place first.

I don't get the "hosed either way".  In a housing bubble (or any market), the only way you lose money is if you buy at a significantly higher amount than you sell at.  You don't lose a cent if you buy, the market bursts, you stay in the home, and then eventually the market rebounds and you sell.  Mortgages are rarely higher than rent.

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Congratulations...  

If they accept the offer, would you get to suggest anything about what is being selected for the home?  Wall colors, floor materials, etc...   That might be a difficult ask but it could save you some changes to a home that was just built.  Maybe that's something that can be negotiated?     Like... you don't want to rip out a brand new carpet because  _____ (fill in the blank)

WoBG and I found a storage facility within a half mile of the location where we built our new home.  We moved our stuff mostly by ourselves, with our Subaru and a cargo trailer.  Eventually we filled 2 storage units.  We moved stuff to storage when we had time.  Then when we moved into the new home, the last part of the move didn't take that much time, our stuff was very close.

Moving a lot of things early, allowed us to clean out some of the rooms of our old home and that made cleaning and painting the old home so much easier.    I did get rid of a lot of old stuff too (WoBG not so much) so we had less to move. 

And... good luck...  moving and selling a home is stressful.  We were building a home too, that's even more stressful.   WoBG and I agreed recently since we survived all of that stress and unexpected fun... we can survive just about anything together.

This is basically our story if the seller accepts the offer today.  We can customize it and we do plan on moving stuff into storage closer to the home.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Dottles said:

This is basically our story if the seller accepts the offer today.  We can customize it and we do plan on moving stuff into storage closer to the home.  

Got any details or pics?  What style? I generally like the sort of homes they build in the Seattle burbs these days, and maybe that look extends up to the border too?

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Like... you don't want to rip out a brand new carpet because  _____ (fill in the blank)

Green. The word green would complete that thought. 
I was browsing homes for sale on Mackinac Island, and one of them had green carpeting throughout. A definitive turn off, especially at $450k. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't get the "hosed either way".  In a housing bubble (or any market), the only way you lose money is if you buy at a significantly higher amount than you sell at.  You don't lose a cent if you buy, the market bursts, you stay in the home, and then eventually the market rebounds and you sell.  Mortgages are rarely higher than rent.

I like the idea of selling, living in with her mom, have the real estate market crash, and then buying with the money sold from our house.  Honest to God that was the plan.  I still like that plan.  Sell high and buy low.  But then we saw the house.  And the neighborhood.  And rapidly shrinking inventory.  And trying to play the market is get wrenching, arguably foolish, and not for the weak of heart.  One needs a place to live and the thought of being trapped at her mothers indefinitely lit a much under my ass.

As long as I still have my job, none of it matters 'either way'.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Got any details or pics?  What style? I generally like the sort of homes they build in the Seattle burbs these days, and maybe that look extends up to the border too?

1 hour ago, Miss Ida Hart said:

Green.

Actually it's a green home duplex.  Solar.  Tankless water heater.  Heat pump.  Very small property.  Low maintenance.  One floor.  Flat.  Garage.  About a 1050 sq/ft.  North end of a corporate park.  Lots of city and county parks and awesome bike riding (when it's not raining or too cold).

But what really grabbed us was the location.  Location, location, location.  10-15 minutes from downtown.  10 minutes to the airport.  15 to the Port of Bellingham.  10 minutes to a community college.  10 minutes to health facilities.  The San Juan Islands are a puddle jump.  The Alaskan ferry.  Views of Mt. Baker and the Canadian mountains.  25 minutes from the Canadian border.  30 minutes to a ski resort and fantastic hiking.  All the amenities one could need in about a 15 mile radius.  

It's also our best shot probably of getting into new construction.  After upgrading our current place, we are tired of the money pits and hamster wheel debt required to upgrade and maintain our current home.  We want something that for the next 10-15 years we shouldn't have to put in a single dollar into home improvements. I really like the sound of that.

We just feel like it's a great place to grow old.  And if things don't go like we hope or plan, then the home should retain it's value.

Just now, roadsue said:

These list placements are a fun read. You can expect to be healthy, wealthy, educated, and drunk. 
https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article86704117.html

Downtown on a Friday or Saturday night is flooded with drunk college kids.  I'm happy to report I'll be north of there.

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

I don't know for sure but it sounds right.  Bellingham is the airport you're going to land at if you're going to Vancouver.  It should be noted this is also the same airport that Der Trump landed at and had a rally at in Lynden last election.  It's quite the mixture.  77,000 folks in B'ham and about 25% of those are college kids and if you just travel 20 miles north up into Lynden it's super conservative.  I'm going to land somewhere northeast of the airport.

FERNDALE!!!!

Fernwood Tonight (TV Series 1977) - IMDb

Yeah, okay so it was Fernwood tonight, but whatever.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The San Juan Islands are a puddle jump.  The Alaskan ferry.  Views of Mt. Baker and the Canadian mountains.  20 minutes from the Canadian border.  30 minutes to a ski resort and fantastic hiking.  All the amenities one could need in about a 15 mile radius.  

Lots of places for the missus to off you. And you’ll go in style, doing what you love. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Whoa, nelly, I was trying to play the football angle.  I thought maybe a bell or two went off.

Football outside of Texas does not interest me unless the Ferndale Lollycats were playing the Plano Wildcats.  Then I would be interested in the decimation of Ferndale.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Football outside of Texas does not interest me unless the Ferndale Lollycats were playing the Plano Wildcats.  Then I would be interested in the decimation of Ferndale.

Maybe this will.  https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/jake-locker-nfl-2011-draft-tennessee-titans-why-he-quit

It's all about Jesus. It's a good read.

“Look,” he says. “Every coach I ever played for says these are the priorities: faith, family, football. But no one really lives that way. No one. Jake didn’t retire. He put family and faith first. This is the way I judge people now: If you don’t like Jake Locker, I don’t think I can like you.”

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Milk and cookies???  Milk and donuts???  Milk and cake???  Cheese and anything??????   Do you want an awesome neighbor who can help you build an awesome shed???   :flirtyeyess:

Where I'm going -- there will be no shed. No place to put it and no pellet, wood stove.  Just me and my heat pump, smudge.  I'll be all green now.  Boring but easy.

• Sad 1