House Rebuild Update

MickinMD

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My sister will pick out the floor color - probably solid - after she can compare the choices with the counter/cabinets. The floor will be "not too light, not too dark, not too busy."

When we first start looking at floors, we were going to have a solid color hardwood floor.  Our builder showed us a floor he had installed at another location (the picture below).  That's when we changed our mind and went with this oak floor.  The different colors kind of help blend with the cabinets we have, and the furniture, etc..     This worked for us...   

20170330_145932.thumb.jpg.1cd732453bb7cd8ca62b52b7b0cef85c.jpg

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

When we first start looking at floors, we were going to have a solid color hardwood floor.  Our builder showed us a floor he had installed at another location (the picture below).  That's when we changed our mind and went with this oak floor.  The different colors kind of help blend with the cabinets we have, and the furniture, etc..     This worked for us...   

20170330_145932.thumb.jpg.1cd732453bb7cd8ca62b52b7b0cef85c.jpg

Good quality laminated wood flooring outperforms solid wood floor. Laminated wood is more stable. Just be sure to get good quality. The surface layer needs to be thicker than you get with cheap flooring. It's possible for laminated floor to off gas when new, though. If that is a problem. Of course, new carpet off gases, too.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Good quality laminated wood flooring outperforms solid wood floor. Laminated wood is more stable. Just be sure to get good quality. The surface layer needs to be thicker than you get with cheap flooring. It's possible for laminated floor to off gas when new, though. If that is a problem. Of course, new carpet off gases, too.

I thought laminate was not made with real wood. I guess there are many varieties. I always heard it was a picture of wood. 

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I thought laminate was not made with real wood. I guess there are many varieties. I always heard it was a picture of wood. 

I checked with my good friend and mentor on this topic. I guess you are right that the term "laminated" flooring is generally associated with plastic laminate. "Engineered wood" flooring is what I was referring to. (Technically, I am still right. ;) )

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-laminate-flooring/

https://www.thespruce.com/engineered-hardwood-vs-solid-flooring-1821677

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Hows come nobody talks about butcher block anymore?

I thought of that! I mentioned a light-colored butcher block countertop like hard rock maple and my sister and Kristi, the contractor's expert, both shot it down.  My sister has much better insights and exposure to what's in modern homes since she moved into a newer house in 2012 and has since done some major remodeling - so I'm relying on her for the big decisions.

They said that since I'm 70 and going to be selling the house in 5-15 years, butcher block makes the house less sellable in today's market.  The butcher block can require re-sealing with mineral or walnut oil every 1-3 months, can easily get dinged, and may need stains sanded out every several years. 

Right now, we're leaning to Formica as shown in the picture with the cabinet door but granite is also still in play - either solid or tiles with grout.

If I was rebuilding in my sister's $500K homes neighborhood, I'd more strongly consider more expensive stuff in the kitchen and elsewhere, but I'm in a $250K neighborhood and I don't want to price myself above the neighborhood and beyond what works fine for me.

11 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

For the kitchen sink, I really like our new one where the faucet itself is the sprayer.  Just pull down on it to remove it from the base and use as a sprayer.  Much better than any separate sprayer I've ever used.

Image result for kitchen sink faucets

Thanks a lot - I've added this for future discussions with my contractor.

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I thought of that! I mentioned a light-colored butcher block countertop like hard rock maple and my sister and Kristi, the contractor's expert, both shot it down.  My sister has much better insights and exposure to what's in modern homes since she moved into a newer house in 2012 and has since done some major remodeling - so I'm relying on her for the big decisions.

They said that since I'm 70 and going to be selling the house in 5-15 years, butcher block makes the house less sellable in today's market.  The butcher block can require re-sealing with mineral or walnut oil every 1-3 months, can easily get dinged, and may need stains sanded out every several years. 

Right now, we're leaning to Formica as shown in the picture with the cabinet door but granite is also still in play - either solid or tiles with grout.

If I was rebuilding in my sister's $500K homes neighborhood, I'd more strongly consider more expensive stuff in the kitchen and elsewhere, but I'm in a $250K neighborhood and I don't want to price myself above the neighborhood and beyond what works fine for me.

I had a butcher block. It was awesome and required zero maintenance. We never resealed it or sanded it and it never got dinged. Wood never goes out of style. All other surfaces look good when you install them, but they don't all age well.

I have granite now. I hate it. It's hard, ugly, and difficult to keep clean. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

For the kitchen sink, I really like our new one where the faucet itself is the sprayer.  Just pull down on it to remove it from the base and use as a sprayer.  Much better than any separate sprayer I've ever used.

I agree 100%. Of course our faucet is black.

8 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Image result for kitchen sink faucets

Ours is similar, I like it, a lot.

• Heart 1