Chocolate cigars

Randomguy

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I remember candy cigarettes they were made of some chalky sugar mix, but when you blew through them, they would puff a little thing of sugar dust like smoke

I bought some candy cigarettes in Ohio around Christmas this year, but they sadly didn't have that puffability.  The powdery puff ingredient was probably asbestos, not sure, but it was most likely dangerous in some way.

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I bought some candy cigarettes in Ohio around Christmas this year, but they sadly didn't have that puffability.  The powdery puff ingredient was probably asbestos, not sure, but it was most likely dangerous in some way.

If I recall correctly, the powdery stuff was actually made from the dried ground bones of snail darters and baby snowy owls

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

If I recall correctly, the powdery stuff was actually made from the dried ground bones of snail darters and baby snowy owls

I still pretended to smoke them, at least for a few seconds.  It was fun.

Are cigarette brands still the same as when we were kids?  My dad smoked Kent, but I remember Pall Mall, Winston, Marlboro.  I am going to dig for that now...

• Heart 1

Just now, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Or Old Gold. I smoked Marlboro reds, Winston and Merit. A friend in HS used to smoke Old Golds. A cousin smoked Lucky Strikes; I didn’t care for non filtered. Glad I quit though, 35 years now. 

My dad kept his last pack of cigarettes he ever purchased, from 1970.  I don't think he still has it, but I remember he used a label machine to add the date.

I don't specifically remember him smoking, but I remember our cars smelled like crap until he stopped smoking, and then suddenly they smelled better.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Maybe in before the ban?

The Environmental Protection Agency announced Monday (03/18/2024) that it is banning the most common form of asbestos, a cancer-causing substance that's linked to the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans every year.

The U.S. is prohibiting the use of chrysotile asbestos, joining more than 50 other countries that have already outlawed the substance. The ban comes after decades of pushback from companies that have used it in everything from consumer goods to manufacturing processes.

"The science is clear – asbestos is a known carcinogen that has severe impacts on public health," EPA administrator Michael Regan said in a statement. "This action is just the beginning as we work to protect all American families, workers, and communities from toxic chemicals."

I only recall chocolate cigars for baby announcements to people who don't want a real cigar.   Candy cigarettes were the kids "toy" cigars that I recall.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

These were a thing when I was a kid, bubblegum cigars, too.  I don't see them now, though, but I am really not looking for them.

Are they still a thing?

Pfft!  Black liquorice pipes and cigars were where it was at!  

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Or Old Gold. I smoked Marlboro reds, Winston and Merit. A friend in HS used to smoke Old Golds. A cousin smoked Lucky Strikes; I didn’t care for non filtered. Glad I quit though, 35 years now. 

My mom smoked Old Gold.  I smoked Marlboro reds and then Benson & Hedges for a while.  That was a long time ago.

How could I forget Camel, Kool, and Lucky Strikes?

CDN media

So I used to live on Elm Street in Deep Ellum.  One night a hot friend of mine, who I am still friends with came banging on my door telling me I had to come party with her and this group of Aussie rugby players she had met.  We end up at Club Clearview and we are drinking heavily.  I had already been out that evening and was at home when this happened.  So one of the Aussies orders a round of shots called Gorilla Farts.  I know I was told it had Wild Turkey  101 and Bacardi 151 in it.  Not sure what else.  So we do the shots and my stomach tells me that I screwed up and it is not happy.  Hurling is imminent.  I knew I could not make it to the bathroom so I head to the front door.  Almost made it.  I made it as far as the cigarette machine that sat to the left of the front door about a foot from the wall.  This is the PERFECT PLACE my stomach tells my throat and mouth and I stick my head into that gap and spew out Gorilla Farts and whatever else I had consumed that night.

But this is Texas and I am not about to be shown up by this group of Aussie rugby players in front of Cat, my hot blonde friend, so I walk back like nothing happened and resume drinking with my new mates.  Some time later Cat tells me how impressed the Aussies were by my display of puking and then going right back at it!  And I thought I had fooled everyone.

The end.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

I think they are dreaming about 2035 and nobody smoking, but there has been some great progress.

NEJM Analysis: U.S. Smoking Rate… | Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

And they are all smoking upwind on the patios of restaurants. 

My dad kept his last pack of cigarettes he ever purchased, from 1970.  I don't think he still has it, but I remember he used a label machine to add the date.

I don't specifically remember him smoking, but I remember our cars smelled like crap until he stopped smoking, and then suddenly they smelled better.

My dad quit 40 years ago when we started giving him grandkids. He was going on a road trip to Cheyenne. Put his lighter and a pack of cigarettes under the driver’s seat just in case. He never had another cigarette. 
Fast forward 30 years and they were having a guy pickup all the old cars he kept along the fence when scrap prices were really high. After the guy had been gone for a couple hours, he realized his Zippo lighter was still under the seat.  That was his only regret about quitting. 

• Heart 2

Big trend withdrawal from smoking (well, there is vaping) in North America, is really noticeable if one visits countries that have lagged super slow on smoking ban. 

It did surprise us in 2017 that Japan still was slow. ie. smoking still allowed in restaurants. Plastic barriers, were just a joke in some of those otherwise nice mid-level restaurants.  I hear they've gotten a bit better.  I had assumed that a culture that was super organized, so lovely in preservation of many things and polite people, would have banned smoking faster.  

It seemed conflicting to eat sushi/sashimi in a smoke-filled rm.  Just totally wrong.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So I used to live on Elm Street in Deep Ellum.  One night a hot friend of mine, who I am still friends with came banging on my door telling me I had to come party with her and this group of Aussie rugby players she had met.  We end up at Club Clearview and we are drinking heavily.  I had already been out that evening and was at home when this happened.  So one of the Aussies orders a round of shots called Gorilla Farts.  I know I was told it had Wild Turkey  101 and Bacardi 151 in it.  Not sure what else.  So we do the shots and my stomach tells me that I screwed up and it is not happy.  Hurling is imminent.  I knew I could not make it to the bathroom so I head to the front door.  Almost made it.  I made it as far as the cigarette machine that sat to the left of the front door about a foot from the wall.  This is the PERFECT PLACE my stomach tells my throat and mouth and I stick my head into that gap and spew out Gorilla Farts and whatever else I had consumed that night.

But this is Texas and I am not about to be shown up by this group of Aussie rugby players in front of Cat, my hot blonde friend, so I walk back like nothing happened and resume drinking with my new mates.  Some time later Cat tells me how impressed the Aussies were by my display of puking and then going right back at it!  And I thought I had fooled everyone.

The end.

Impressive for not being a navy man.

• Heart 2

58 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We were quite surprised to see cigarette vending machines in Curacao and see people smoking on restaurant patios.  You forget how common it still is elsewhere 

Europe and Asia are great markets still.

It really is nice that it's not that common in the US anymore.  Pre-COVID, it was becoming a "shock" when you'd get in an elevator and a smoker would enter stinking of cigarette smoke.  That used to be sort of common, but in the past decade or so, that was rare and often brought a comment amongst the non-smokers.  My mom smoked for decades, so I'm pretty immune to the true yuckiness of it, but as time passes, my tolerance is dropping.

• Heart 1