Where would you rank Led Zeppelin in with all time great rock bands?

Dottleshead

Where would you rank Led Zeppelin in with all time great rock bands?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Ranking my favorite rock bands, Led Zeppelin w/ Jimmy Paige, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham would be:

• Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Worse
    • Keith Richards was right. They suck.
    • I don't care. I just like casting votes in forums.

I just heard All of My Love from In Through The Outdoor. I like that song but it has not escaped me that many faithful Zeppelin heads are not fans of it.  It definitely was a divergence from their previous works and made me wonder if they were just about finished before Bonham's death.  In Junior High/High school they may have been my favorite band.  Anyway, much to @Square Wheels chagrin, I'm afraid there are a couple or more generations that never heard of that very talented but nonetheless dinosaur guitarist -- Jimmy Paige.

• Like 1

I put them in the top 10.  They were down-ranked because they did steal quite a bit on their first 2 albums.

My top 5 in no order would be, Beatles, Stones, Who, Queen, Prince.  ( @BuffJim, the Cars... really?)

The next 5 in no order would be, Led Zeplin, Grateful Dead, Yes, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wait

Wut

Are none of you putting Devo In the top 5.  Do I live in a world of degenerates who haven't got the simplest of music appreciation.  

.:rolleyes:

Devo would be in my Top 20 along with The Damned.

49 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I put them in the top 10.  They were down-ranked because they did steal quite a bit on their first 2 albums.

My top 5 in no order would be, Beatles, Stones, Who, Queen, Prince.  ( @BuffJim, the Cars... really?)

The next 5 in no order would be, Led Zeplin, Grateful Dead, Yes, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac. 

No not really, just seeing if anyone was awake. The Band is more likely top 10. At the risk of being too British, I might add Queen instead of The Cars. Elvis is top American, but if it has to be a band, maybe one of the newer ones, like Nirvana. Or maybe Allman Brothers for a Southern flavor.

I suck at ranking this sort of thing as I like too much stuff and also was unfairly influenced by decades of radio programming.  I like Zeppelin a lot and probably listen to them much more than the Beatles or Stones.  But it is also a more focused grouping of their music, whereas the Beatles and Stones are from across a longer period and/or more albums.

Definitely in my top 25, but then it is a mad scramble across a ton of bands like Van Halen, U2, Pearl Jam, or GnR!

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Top 20. I never cared for Plant’s vocals. The other three were tight. 

I feel that way about Rush, Geddy didn't do it for me.  They needed better songs, too, Rush could maybe squeak in a top 150 category for me.  Yeah, there were a couple great songs, but mostly 'meh', however technically great they were with the instruments.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I feel that way about Rush, Geddy didn't do it for me.  They needed better songs, too, Rush could maybe squeak in a top 150 category for me.  Yeah, there were a couple great songs, but mostly 'meh', however technically great they were with the instruments.

Rush is solid.  Yeah, the vocals are unique, but the music is really really good.  Keeps them from a top spot, but not from a high spot.  But the more I think of it, the harder a top 10 or 25 list would be for me.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Rush is solid.  Yeah, the vocals are unique, but the music is really really good.  Keeps them from a top spot, but not from a high spot.  But the more I think of it, the harder a top 10 or 25 list would be for me.

It really is tough to do a list, so much could shift what is actually a 'rock' band, vs. a pop band.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It really is tough to do a list, so much could shift what is actually a 'rock' band, vs. a pop band.

Rock - as sort of a 1960s (50s?) through now is impossible.  What are the Red Hot Chili Peppers? The Killers? Others of the 2000s?  I don't even know if CCR - one of my favorites - is "rock" or not.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Rock - as sort of a 1960s (50s?) through now is impossible.  What are the Red Hot Chili Peppers? The Killers? Others of the 2000s?  I don't even know if CCR - one of my favorites - is "rock" or not.

Some people would have Queen or Journey listed as rock bands, too, but they are squarely pop for me, however great they were.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Some people would have Queen or Journey listed as rock bands, too, but they are squarely pop for me, however great they were.

I struggle with that.  What's the line? Lots of fun guitar in both and good drum beats and the like. 

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Neil Peart alone is enough to get Rush into the top 10.  

As to the OP Zep is easily top 5 for me.  Timeless grooves.  One of the best (if not THE) best Drummers ever to do it.  Just the power.  Their music stands the test of time.

• Heart 1

I’m not big on lists or rankings. It’s all very subjective and at least for me, my mood can greatly change who I want to hear or consider a favorite. 
I like Zeppelin. The fact they covered old blues songs doesn’t bother me because hopefully the blues artists got some royalties out of the deal. I believe that is the intent of many artists of the era who covered the blues. 
I will be the first to admit the overkill on airplay to this day has made me less receptive to their music than in years past. Kind of like going nose blind to a scent even if you like it. 

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They are known to be musicians, musicians for their technical skills and lyrics.  Geddy held a huge presence being the bassist, keyboard, some percussion and only singer.  Peart was a top 3 percussionist for me and Alex, a top 40 guitarist.   As a trio, top 10 for sure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

They are known to be musicians, musicians for their technical skills and lyrics.  Geddy held a huge presence being the bassist, keyboard, some percussion and only singer.  Peart was a top 3 percussionist for me and Alex, a top 40 guitarist.   As a trio, top 10 for sure. 

I agree with this. I’ve been listening to things like Xanadu lately. They were musicians. I have been listening to musical teachers and vocal coaches analyze and evaluate their music and it would seem all agree they did some unique stuff. Everyone loves Geddy’s dictation. I never really thought about that. He’s distinct on his delivery. He is not a mush mouth. But their unique change ups and musical timing sets them apart. The power trio is fitting nickname. So much sound from 3 guys. Neil is regarded as one of the best drummers of all time and Alex can jam. I mean that guy is talented. But his HOF speech was stupid. Also not all is rosy. Their stuff was cutting edge and progressive and as such a lot of their music was fantasy. As a result, I find their lyrics meaningless and gibberish and hollow. In some cases I feel some of their lyrics are contrived and forced. But that’s probably just me. Still their change ups are (we’re?) the bomb.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I for one would put considerable faith in Wilbur's knowledge of Rush.

I hear Alex is a great guy.  He's quite the artist I read.  Dude paints and can play a mean guitar. Rik Emmett of Triumph says he is talented at many things and not just music.

27 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I hear Alex is a great guy.  He's quite the artist I read.  Dude paints and can play a mean guitar. Rik Emmett of Triumph says he is talented at many things and not just music.

They were all avid cyclists at various points in their career as well.  Alex was a natural at everything.  Certainly all sports he played.  Many of NP's lyrics were based on Ayn Rands writings.  All 3 were great individuals.  Super generous with everyone and just normal people.  The first show I flew them to was the last time I wore a uniform.  At their insistence, it was a jeans and t-shirt tour.  If you want insight as to what they were like, there is a YT video of them at a restaurant in Quebec.  Many bottles of wine were consumed. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 6:10 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Top 5, but I’d say with the Beatles, Stones and the Who ahead of them. I get a little bored with Zeppelin, and I don’t know if it’s because of their song structure or feeling it’s been overplayed, or both? But I generally like them. 

I’d put Pink Floyd in my top 5 as well. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

They were all avid cyclists at various points in their career as well.  Alex was a natural at everything.  Certainly all sports he played.  Many of NP's lyrics were based on Ayn Rands writings.  All 3 were great individuals.  Super generous with everyone and just normal people.  The first show I flew them to was the last time I wore a uniform.  At their insistence, it was a jeans and t-shirt tour.  If you want insight as to what they were like, there is a YT video of them at a restaurant in Quebec.  Many bottles of wine were consumed. 

I knew you flew them around but I didn't want to blow your cover publicly.  But now that you have... tell us about Geddy.  Introvert?  I knew somebody that knew Boz Skaggs and it was said he had stage fright.  Thinking maybe Geddy plays the role?  He doesn't strike me as a guy that likes attention.  I know Mr. Peart definitely did not.

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

I knew you flew them around but I didn't want to blow your cover publicly.  But now that you have... tell us about Geddy.  Introvert?  I knew somebody that knew Boz Skaggs and it was said he had stage fright.  Thinking maybe Geddy plays the role?  He doesn't strike me as a guy that likes attention.  I know Mr. Peart definitely did not.

I would say Geddy leans toward introvert but they were all very humble.  The first real conversation I had with Geddy, we talked riding both bicycles and motorbikes and music.  He said at that time that he was just happy to be a working musician.  Peart was a solo act.  He liked his reading time and cycling solo.  All 3 enjoyed performing though.  Geddy and Alex were school chums whereas Neil came along later.  I think he felt literally the third man in, even though he was so integral to the sound.  Deep down, he was probably right.  

Watch this version of Xanadu.  I believe it is one of their best composures with time signatures all over and the early synth stage of the band. Both Geddy and Alex have double necks so Geddy played Bass, synth organ, guitar.  Alex played 6 and 12 string with a huge array of pedals.  Neil had relatively few electronic sounds and was all over playing the bells etc.  Xanadu though, is based on a poem by Samuel Coleridge.  Not the lyrics of a pop rock band, for sure. 

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1