Just doing her job......

12string

At lest once a day, my Aussie goes out in the yard and herd all the bunnies out through a hole in the fence.  It's also in her contract that she inspect the vegetable garden for bunnies.  The ones in there are critical.  so last night she runs out directly to the garden, all excited because THERE'S A BUNNY IN THE GARDEN!!!  Before I could get the gate open. she spooked the bunny who apparently forgot how it got in and tried to get out through the fence.  All but the rear hips got through.  So now there's this one bunny stuck in the fence not cooperating with the herding instructions.  The instinct in that situation is to catch and hold until I get there to address the situation.  So a bunch of warning barks followed by a screaming bunny stuck in a fence with a dog holding it against the fence in her mouth.  Yeah, I should have taken video.

I guess because she doesn't often actually catch these things, and the really loud screaming, the "Leave It" command was ignored, I had to pull her off.  The bunny was able to free itself and remember how to get out fast enough to get a head start on the race to the hole in the fence.

• Heart 4

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

We are afraid to ask the guy from Ohio how he knows this.......

My family tried to keep some caged rabbits when I was young. Unfortunately, we also kept a couple of dogs. I would hear those rabbits scream as the dogs tried to get at them. In the morning, the rabbits feet were all bloody from trying to escape the cage. I didn't run away from home, though.

5951-17344.jpg

• Heart 1

The kids got a leash for the rabbit so they could take her outside for walks and fresh air.  She always seemed to enjoy jumping around in the grass, maybe chewing on a bush here and there.

I wasn't home for this but one day out of the blue, something scared the rabbit - I forget what it was - and she let out one of those screams.

The kids were still rattled when I got home from work, hours later.  The rabbit hasn't been outside since.

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I miss my Aussie, she was very fast.

In her day my Aussie was lightning fast too.  She was a frisbee dog and her eye to mouth coordination was phenomenal.  I'd throw Cheese Its at her like a mini frisbee at 5' and she'd read the arc and catch them every time.

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

The kids got a leash for the rabbit so they could take her outside for walks and fresh air.  She always seemed to enjoy jumping around in the grass, maybe chewing on a bush here and there.

I wasn't home for this but one day out of the blue, something scared the rabbit - I forget what it was - and she let out one of those screams.

The kids were still rattled when I got home from work, hours later.  The rabbit hasn't been outside since.

We had a rabbit that liked to chew on electrical cords.  So we had him outside and he chewed on the Christmas light wires that were on the bushes. :mellow: We kept waiting for him to light up.

Brings to mind Penny the Red our Golden Retriever. Back in her day she was a killing machine. Mostly squirrels. The first week she caught 2 squirrels in our yard. We pulled into the house and let her out...BAM. Squirrel in her mouth. The local squirrels had got fat and lazy.

So at our bend house the neighbors are playing with their rabbit. Several girls are watching and standing around. They are about 8 or 9 years old. The rabbit is hopping around the alley and garage. All of a sudden Penny sees the rabbit....and the chase is on. The rabbit had a 20' head start but Penny is fast. Bunny gets to the cage and is screaming. 5 little girls are screaming. Rabbit gets to an area that penny cannot reach in but continues screaming. We eventually send the fighters to their corners and things settle down. About a week later the Dad says...I wish she would have caught that rabbit. LOL

You cannot unforget that scream

• Heart 1

The Aussie is fast enough to catch the rabbits, but as long as they go where she wants them, she slows down.  She's pretty amazing with the frisbee, too.  She'll read the arc, jump 5 feet in the air, and catch the frisbee as it gets to her right at the peak of her jump.  Food is even more fun.  I'll throw a bit to one side or the other an she snaps her head without moving her body.  Best dog I ever had!

• Heart 2