What "sides" will you be serving with your bird? or other beast on Thanksgivng

petitepedal

Mostly the regulars, but slightly out of the ordinary: pineapple crack.

Then there's the extras so the vegetarian kid can participate in Turkey dinner.  And friends from South Korea coming, not sure what she's bringing but I hope it's some traditional South Korean Pilgrim dish.

My mother will bring her traditional something green in it with velveeta "cheese" dried out OK we'll humor her and call it a souffle.

I won't be serving anything, but my sister will most likely serve:  mashed potatoes, turnip (mashed and cubed), lima beans, corn, green beans, cole slaw, rolls and butter, stuffing,  the cranberry  that comes from a can with the can ridges still in and a lingonberry dressing and celery and olives.

I expect appetizers will include mini pizza bagels, shrimp ring, cheese and crackers and maybe mini pigs in a blanket. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

In past special day dinners (thxgiving, Christmas, birthdays), accompanying bison or seafood, it depends what meat we choose, but sides have been:

• roasted or sautéed fennel
  • roasted mashed parnsip
  • mashed celeriac
  • truffle gnocchi
  • roasted or lightly sautéed asparagus
  • roasted sliced beets
  • stir fried Shanghai choy, or bok choy
  • sautéed kohl rabi with a white sauce
  • steamed Brussel sprouts

We actually don't have roasted or mashed potatoes as a side. 

There will be mashed potatoes with enough butter, sour cream, and cheese in them to qualify as dairy. Sweet potato something with enough sugar to serve as desert. Old fashioned bread stuffing. Green beans. Real cranberries with orange. A mushroom sour cream mix. Punkin Pie. There may be some beer. 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

@shootingstar Tell me more about roasted Fennel ..... not for Thanksgiving..but future use, I came across the fennel, cucumber, avocado and orange salad...watching those PBS cooking shows on Saturday...But that is my limit of fennel use....

Here's a variation.  https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/slow-roasted-fennel/

I have also sautéed / stir fried sliced fennel with tomatoes and some sweet onions. Not hard.

• Heart 1