Amish traffic jam this morning.

Longjohn

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Annual Amish school auction. A constant stream of buggies going past my house today. At least the pasture is dry, they open it up for parking if it isn’t too wet. I’ll try to remember to take pictures when we drive by.

You are going to do a drive-by of the Amish?  BAD Longjohn!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Annual Amish school auction. A constant stream of buggies going past my house today. At least the pasture is dry, they open it up for parking if it isn’t too wet. I’ll try to remember to take pictures when we drive by.

Why are they auctioning the school? ?

2 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Dontcha know the Amish don't like being photographed? That's one hangup the Mennonites don't have.

I actually didn't know this, Rattlecan. Explains the tons of photos I have with my conservative Mennonite friend plus her extended family.  They enjoyed the photos of family and friends. Happy memories.  I was her wedding photographer also.

• Heart 1

I grew up in Kitchener-Waterloo.....and Rattlecan grew up in Waterloo County where historically and culturally Mennonites and Amish have been..as well as Germans.  Not sure if forumites remember, but Rattlecan is from a long line of Mennonite family members. There were Old Order Mennonite family members on his side.

My friend's husband's parents are Old Order Mennonite which even my friend (who wears a white net over her hair bun) and only dresses to her knee with dark pantyhose....had to get abit used to them.  Some of her siblings intermarried with non-Mennonites.  However several other sibs remain Mennonite.

I grew up in Waterloo and many of the old street names ..and my classmates had German last names or last names that reflected Mennonite family heritage.  When I moved to London, Ontario for university...I found the city very boring and too Anglo for me.  I assumed everyone outside of K-W knew about Mennonites.

I joke to my dearie with his beard and face profile, if we stuck a straw hat on him, he could pass for a Mennonite-German farmer. (Well, actually dearie was a part-time farmer for 10 years..with pigs, cows, etc.) 

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The Mennonites that DP and I ride with are quite modern. They even wear Lycra bike shorts and colorful jerseys.

Would Rattlecan be around too? ;)  

I grew up on a lovely street in downtown Waterloo, where our house was across the street from a (modern) Mennonite church. Then later the church built a housing extension to house seniors. Actually we went to bible school during 1 summer as kids.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I grew up in Kitchener-Waterloo.....and Rattlecan grew up in Waterloo County where historically and culturally Mennonites and Amish have been..as well as Germans.  Not sure if forumites remember, but Rattlecan is from a long line of Mennonite family members. There were Old Order Mennonite family members on his side.

My friend's husband's parents are Old Order Mennonite which even my friend (who wears a white net over her hair bun) and only dresses to her knee with dark pantyhose....had to get abit used to them.  Some of her siblings intermarried with non-Mennonites.  However several other sibs remain Mennonite.

I grew up in Waterloo and many of the old street names ..and my classmates had German last names or last names that reflected Mennonite family heritage.  When I moved to London, Ontario for university...I found the city very boring and too Anglo for me.  I assumed everyone outside of K-W knew about Mennonites.

I joke to my dearie with his beard and face profile, if we stuck a straw hat on him, he could pass for a Mennonite-German farmer. (Well, actually dearie was a part-time farmer for 10 years..with pigs, cows, etc.) 

We used to laugh at the out of towners who would park along the road by the Sunday go to meetin house to take pictures of the buggies. It was totally normal to us, just like dodging road apples on every bike ride.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We used to laugh at the out of towners who would park along the road by the Sunday go to meetin house to take pictures of the buggies. It was totally normal to us, just like dodging road apples on every bike ride.

My first history lessons on Canadian history was not first about Samuel de Champlain nor Jaques Cartier, the French explorers who landed in Quebec in 1600's, it was history of Mennonites and German settlers in Waterloo County.. I was in gr. 8 (14 yrs. old).  In looking back, that was the best way to introduce CAnadian history to children in our area...history of their local area lst. 

Your response is no different from mine when some people tell they aren't comfortable/never been to a Chinatown.  My response: "Really?  Get over it. You're in CAnada."  Well, latter is what I think in my head.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The Mennonites that DP and I ride with are quite modern. They even wear Lycra bike shorts and colorful jerseys.

I was fishing one windy afternoon beside a man who practiced a conservative lifestyle religion, I didn't ask which. He had ridden up on his bike with fishing gear in hand. I had driven to the lake in my car. We were fishing and as I said, it was windy. His hat blew off into the lake and we couldn't snag it back out of the water. I felt bad for him. I told him I don't know if there is some kind of requirement for him to 'cover his head' so he could have the spare cap in my car, if he wanted it. He said, That's alright, I look better in a hat but I'm okay. We laughed.

amish654.jpg

• Heart 2