I cannot be the only one...Workout, ride or whatever Sept 18

petitepedal

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sure.  With toys like that I'd be able to forget about the mortgage I'd have put on my home to buy them.

Why is buying a "good" or even "great" product a bad thing, and not worth prioritizing over other "things"?  I get it IF the object in fact turns into a "toy" or is discarded/unused after a short period of time, but assuming one wants to do something as an ongoing basis, they ought to strive to make that as easy to do as possible. So, if I plan to be a "treadmill" guy, I am going after the "good one" not the one I end up dreading using.

But for those on a budget, this one looks like it ticks all the important boxes:

yuck.thumb.jpg.c1e505d2c1cfc5284f71cbbf131fdfb6.jpg

Tom

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I just run on the regular dreadmill right behind her. The miles fly by.

I'll admit the scenery is quiet nice at my gym but the cardio area has a bank of big TV's about 6 across 3 rows deep so there is plenty to look at other than the cute girls or dudes getting cardio work in.  

I do 30 minutes on the treadmill as a warm up then do my weight circuit.  As the days get shorter and after work rides are less often I'll also hit the spin bikes.  It's trudgery but I make my bike time short & intense as spinning for an hour on a stationary bike is mind numbing.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

As the days get shorter and after work rides are less often I'll also hit the spin bikes.  It's trudgery but I make my bike time short & intense as spinning for an hour on a stationary bike is mind numbing.

Boy have I got a suggestion for YOU!

img_1517351542961.jpg.thumb.png.807bc229020638da79f4bc75185f974f.png

An interesting side note about the Peloton treadmill - if you look at the picture, you see the weight in the foreground. That is because their programs have you mix the running with the weight work.

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Boy have I got a suggestion for YOU!

img_1517351542961.jpg.thumb.png.807bc229020638da79f4bc75185f974f.png

An interesting side note about the Peloton treadmill - if you look at the picture, you see the weight in the foreground. That is because their programs have you mix the running with the weight work.

Tom

That would be something but I'll pass.  We do have the fancy bikes with the tv screens that mimic actual riding (hills & such) but they have cruiser seats and they hurt my butt.  So I go into the spin room and crank on those. I can still see the TVs and I'm jamming my tunes anyway.

I hate treadmills even more than I hate trainers for the bike.  If I'm going to put in the effort I'd much rather do it outside where I can look at and take pics of interesting things.

I don't like walking as much as I like riding because with the latter I get to see and take pictures of even more interesting things.  Walking is necessary however as sometimes weather or health just keeps me off the bike.  

I do have an inexpensive elliptical that I use in the winter when absolutely nothing else is available.   It is the choice of absolute desperation however.  I do not like to be confined indoors when I'm exercising. 

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I hate treadmills even more than I hate trainers for the bike.  If I'm going to put in the effort I'd much rather do it outside where I can look at and take pics of interesting things.

I don't like walking as much as I like riding because with the latter I get to see and take pictures of even more interesting things.  Walking is necessary however as sometimes weather or health just keeps me off the bike.  

I do have an inexpensive elliptical that I use in the winter when absolutely nothing else is available.   It is the choice of absolute desperation however.  I do not like to be confined indoors when I'm exercising. 

Me as well, except I would choose a treadmill over a trained/stationary. 

Commuting to work year round has made me much more likely to also ride my road bike on less than perfect days.  I find a gym workout is really only optimal for weights.  So, unless it is icy out or pouring rain, I'm always choosing a ride, hike, or wander outside.

Tom

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Me as well, except I would choose a treadmill over a trained/stationary. 

Commuting to work year round has made me much more likely to also ride my road bike on less than perfect days.  I find a gym workout is really only optimal for weights.  So, unless it is icy out or pouring rain, I'm always choosing a ride, hike, or wander outside.

Tom

Me too but.... arthritis and bone spurs took a toll on my knees and ankles.  The treadmill is the only way I can run comfortably as the impact is absorbed by the treadmill and I can run with negative incline that alleviates pressure from the bone spur digging into my Achilles. 

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Me too but.... arthritis and bone spurs took a toll on my knees and ankles.  The treadmill is the only way I can run comfortably as the impact is absorbed by the treadmill and I can run with negative incline that alleviates pressure from the bone spur digging into my Achilles. 

I can't run very far on pavement - asphalt, concrete, compacted cinders - but have found that trail running is way way way easier on my knees and no shin splints.  If you have a chance, you should try some trails - especially gently rolling ones - since I feel like it "engages" more of the whole leg (and body) and is less repetitive (if that makes sense).  Treadmills definitely cushion more, and the Peloton one is supposed to be even better in that regard.

Tom

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't run very far on pavement - asphalt, concrete, compacted cinders - but have found that trail running is way way way easier on my knees and no shin splints.  If you have a chance, you should try some trails - especially gently rolling ones - since I feel like it "engages" more of the whole leg (and body) and is less repetitive (if that makes sense).  Treadmills definitely cushion more, and the Peloton one is supposed to be even better in that regard.

Tom

I was a trail runner for years as I moved off the pavement about 15 years ago. It's still a little too hard on my knees.  Running uphill is agony on the Achilles too.... 

probably need to have that bone spur dealt with...

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

How many miles on the couch?

Quite a few. I worked from home on my big laptop all day and sat my ass in this chair for nearly 11 hours.  I did get up to build a fire, go out to eat a healthy meal with my wife, and I did go downstairs to sit on the coach to play a video game at midnight.  That means I also came up those stairs.

It was a physically taxing day.

• Heart 1