Shipping is weird

Airehead

I had perishable medicine in a cold pack (must be kept between 36-46 F) sent overnight express via Fedex on Tuesday.  On Wednesday, Fedex called and said the package was delayed and wouldn't be here until Friday.  The cold packs don't last that long.  How can you take an overnight express shipment (when it MUST be there the next day) and deliver it in three days?   :angry:

27 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I had perishable medicine in a cold pack (must be kept between 36-46 F) sent overnight express via Fedex on Tuesday.  On Wednesday, Fedex called and said the package was delayed and wouldn't be here until Friday.  The cold packs don't last that long.  How can you take an overnight express shipment (when it MUST be there the next day) and deliver it in three days?   :angry:

That is nuts. Did they make it right?

34 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

That is nuts. Did they make it right?

Best I ever had, I order something through Alibaba that shipped from Hong Kong. While initial packing and delivery to DHL took a couple of days but when departed the airport in Hong Kong, thanks to the International Date Line, it arrived in Cincinnati and cleared US Customs on the same day and 4 hours BEFORE it left Hong Kong. Then overnight air to Orlando and I had it a few hours after it landed. The other thing that sped up home delivery, DHL's facility was at Orlando Executive Airport, the original airport near downtown rather than that zoo known a Orlando International about 20 miles from my house.

I have had similar International experiences but from Europe ordering ordering bike parts from Total Cycling (Ireland) and ProBikeKit (England). 

• Heart 1

Just now, Airehead said:

And hopefully still cold. 

Yes, but it would never have stayed cold until Friday.  The cold packs were already half melted.  The medicine in question is not just some run-of-the-mill prescription.  It comes as an injection device (30 day supply) and it costs approximately $3000 per device.  Too long un-refrigerated and it's $3K down the drain.

I think the shipper (the pharmacy) needs to make it abundantly clear to Fedex that the shipment absolutely must be delivered overnight.  It's not a dress or a pair of shoes that someone needed for a Thanksgiving get together.  

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

About as much sense as a letter mailed in Miles City to a Miles City address goes to Billings and back to Miles City for delivery.  All depends upon major sorting and routing locations.

I experience the same even living in Orlando...it goes to a smaller city where office space is cheaper then returns. Contrasting that. I mailed 2 "personalized letters from Santa" to my two children when living in Great Britain. Walked the half mile or so to the post office in the towne center and mailed with 3rd class postage...not 1st class. Picked up a couple things in town along my walk back. Returning home, opened the door, and there were the letters delivered through the mail slot. ? Based on my postal code IP24 3PW, my mail is sorted in Ipswich (the IP part of it) about 30 miles away, but seeing local, they must keep it local.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

I ordered something and had it shipped to Florida.   It started In Orlando , went to Tennessee, and then back to Odessa,Florida. How does that make sense?

Logistically it makes a lot of sense.  It needs to go to an automated sorting facility.  No one is looking at the address on that package.  If they did it would cost 3 times as much and take 4 times as long.  The 21st century is a wonderful time.

• Sad 1

A package I was in a hurry to get but too cheap to pay extra shipped from California and I tracked it to the UPS center twenty miles away in a couple days. I expected to get it the nex day. Three days later I had a note In my mailbox that USPS. attempted to deliver a package and I wasn’t home and I could pick it up at the post office ten miles away the following Monday. 

I have a package enroute and FedEx shipping shows 2 things. First it is classified as FedEx SmartPost which means they will probably hand off to the USPS when arrives local adding a few days. The other is that is departed California on Monday the 19th and after tranfering in NM and TX, arrived in Niceville FL (Panhandle town near Ft Walton Beach/Pensacola)  on Wednesday the 21st. But after crossing the country in 2 days, estimated delivery is Wednesday the 28th, a week after it arrived in the State!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe what the company paid for, and rates may differ for all UPS.  Just guessing.

Yep, definitely cheaper. First they use the excellent UPS infrastructure to move the package to a transfer point. Then the package gets transferred to USPS system for delivery to your door. 

40 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The UPS delivery truck comes up and down my road every day. Why would they hand it off to USPS?

While this is FedEx I also see both FedEx, UPS and now, Amazon trucks in my neighborhood several times a day. In fact had 2 packages delivered by different trucks on the same day. What I suspect, it is on the merchant side with FedEx offering a cheaper price if they can just drop off at the postal distribution center which they feel is cheaper (and less risky of theft) if they don't have to do the final delivery. This is only a $36 package, so sure Monoprice wanted the cheapest option. Had similar happen last month with Newegg order. Usually, if not auto-redirected (UPS is good about it) to the UPS/FedEx store near me where I pick it up rather than sitting out front, I sign onto my account while enroute and manually specify the change. FedEx isn't offering that option within my account.

19 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

About as much sense as a letter mailed in Miles City to a Miles City address goes to Billings and back to Miles City for delivery.  All depends upon major sorting and routing locations.

Same thing happens here. We were a distribution point for the USPS until about 10 years ago. Now all in-state mail must either go to Omaha or North Platte to be re-distributed. I once had a letter sent to us from across town. For some reason, it had postmarks from both locations before it arrived. Letter traveled 600 miles to ulimately go 4!

Next week will go to the Christmas Post Office to mail Christmas cards. They actually put a stamp in the lobby where you hand cancel them with the Christmas, FL imprint. After that, I don't care where they go to reach their final destination.

Yes, there is such a community with about 500 families. Surprised they haven't shut that rural post office down.

DSC_4030.JPG

• Heart 1

On 11/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, Airehead said:

I ordered something and had it shipped to Florida.   It started In Orlando , went to Tennessee, and then back to Odessa,Florida. How does that make sense?

My guess is it had something to do with a main distribution point.  Years ago, I when I'd fly to Europe, it would usually be with a good price or in a great-priced tour or cruise package using Northwest Airlines. It would often fly us west from Baltimore to it's hub at Detroit, where a connecting flight flew us east to Amsterdam where it had some kind of deal with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. So you landed in Amsterdam on NW then caught the connecting flight to Athens, Cairo, Tel Aviv, etc. on KLM. Returning reversed the sequence. I guess that kept the planes full - they always were on my flights.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My guess is it had something to do with a main distribution point.  Years ago, I when I'd fly to Europe, it would usually be with a good price or in a great-priced tour or cruise package using Northwest Airlines. It would often fly us west from Baltimore to it's hub at Detroit, where a connecting flight flew us east to Amsterdam where it had some kind of deal with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. So you landed in Amsterdam on NW then caught the connecting flight to Athens, Cairo, Tel Aviv, etc. on KLM. Returning reversed the sequence. I guess that kept the planes full - they always were on my flights.

I think I have take that same Detroit to Amsterdam leg to get to Luxembourg.  

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

I think I have take that same Detroit to Amsterdam leg to get to Luxembourg.  

I always assumed that in part was due to the globe shape of our planet. As long as you’re moving north, you’re headed towards Europe, in an air travel perspective. At least that’s how I always justified flying Pittsburgh to Chicago to get to Germany. The UA hub was the other factor.