People who buy pre-grated cheese

Dirtyhip

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Those people are almost as lazy as people who eat stuff from a box. How hard is it to grate cheese? Cheese block in one hand and grater in the other. Not to mention the grated stuff is all full of anti caking compounds. Gross.

Discus.

?

I am feeling a little @Randomguyish

If they are the same price, and they usually are at my LGS, I will buy the grated if I need grated.

If I want cheese to eat with apples or whatever, I buy block cheese.

Just now, jsharr said:

If they are the same price, and they usually are at my LGS, I will buy the grated if I need grated.

AND the pre-grated cheese comes in those zip-lock kind of bags that you can throw away after you're done putting the cheese on some food that came out of a box.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

I think the evidence is in and shredded cheese makes sense, saves time, and is IDENTICAL in ingredients* to the block stuff.

Except that powdery parmesan cheese that comes in green containers.

* clearly the cellulose powder is what you don't like.

image.png.07502ece34a44a84a1b2b9a9813c3657.png

versus the block:

image.png.2f1f4548d805f08607dc09aaf9b63709.png

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think the evidence is in and shredded cheese makes sense, saves time, and is IDENTICAL in ingredients* to the block stuff.

Except that powdery parmesan cheese that comes in green containers.

* clearly the cellulose powder is what you don't like.

image.png.07502ece34a44a84a1b2b9a9813c3657.png

versus the block:

image.png.2f1f4548d805f08607dc09aaf9b63709.png

Corn starch and potato starch is also used in some of the bags as anti-caking stuff

Just now, KrAzY said:

Actually I'm betting that most people who buy pre grated cheese do not have graters at home. 

Maybe.  Although, you could buy one for the cost savings of getting a block of cheese.  

Camping?  Like using it for camp dinner and want things easy, and you don't have the enormous luxury of a hit water tank and running water.  

I am just stirring today.  Just a diversion as we wait for an update from RG

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

For people who are accident prone, try a cut glove.  I wear mine often.  One of my favorite tools is a mandoline

Wow, rampant consurmerism run amok!  Cut gloves?  Mandolins?  Think about your carbon foot print here and then use a dang knife and cut some cheese.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Maybe.  Although, you could buy one for the cost savings of getting a block of cheese.  

Camping?  Like using it for camp dinner and want things easy, and you don't have the enormous luxury of a hit water tank and running water.  

Yes you can buy one, but then you have to store it and clean it..... just seems like more time spent in the kitchen. 

Personally I like using a machete. It's a knife, pancake flipper, butter knife, held right it can help strain water from a pan or pot when tipped, and even can be used for home defense. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Haven't made it further down the line from this post... Whats up withRG... did he get his twig and berries stuck in a car window again? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Mandoline was a gift from a chef. It was used. He gave me the cut glove too. Nice gift

So.... what you are saying is that for me to eliminate my addiction to pre-grated cheese I first have to find friends that will give me expensive gifts that will facilitate my switch from the pre-grated crap to block cheese?

@jsharr is my friend.  I expect he will be sending me my expensive mandoline in tomorrow's post.

#stirring

43 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Those people are almost as lazy as people who eat stuff from a box. How hard is it to grate cheese? Cheese block in one hand and grater in the other. Not to mention the grated stuff is all full of anti caking compounds. Gross.

Discus.

?

I am feeling a little @Randomguyish

I buy pre grated cheese sometimes. It's sold in bags right next to the deli where it is grated.   Thank you.  I buy things in a box sometimes too.  Thank you again.

Fortunately I can't afford a Peloton or you'd probably flash my visage across the internet.

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So.... what you are say is that for me to eliminate my addiction to pre-grated cheese I first have to find friends that will give me expensive gifts that will facilitate my switch from the pre-grated crap to block cheese?

@jsharr is my friend.  I expect he will be sending me my expensive mandoline in tomorrow's post.

#stirring

Sorry, gave my last Mandoline and cut glove to some hippy chic on a  mountain bike.  She told me how nice they were and how much she liked them as the pounded one balled fist into her other open hand.

As a consolation prize, I will give you this nice owl shaped cheese and nut ball

image.thumb.png.833b49fa7c7c7de5cd01dcbd936e85cb.png

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So.... what you are saying is that for me to eliminate my addiction to pre-grated cheese I first have to find friends that will give me expensive gifts that will facilitate my switch from the pre-grated crap to block cheese?

#stirring

Mandoline is not a grater. It’s a slicer...of fingers

you can make really nice cross cut fries

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sorry, gave my last Mandoline and cut glove to some hippy chic on a  mountain bike.  She told me how nice they were and how much she liked them as the pounded one balled fist into her other open hand.

As a consolationimage.thumb.png.833b49fa7c7c7de5cd01dcbd936e85cb.png prize, I will give you this nice cheese and nut ball

You sir are too kind.  No, really you are.

• Heart 1