Hornets nest. Please don’t make this political.

BuffJim

I had one of those attached to my house a while back.  I ended up calling an exterminator. In the process I learned that if you buy some cheap grey chinese lanterns that hornets will maintain a distance from what the see as another tribes hive.  Fake hornets nests are available and not too expensive on the internet.  The set that I got were not waterproof however so I mounted them under the eves.  They last for a few months and eventually the weather shreds them.

• Heart 2

Part of the reason for hiring an exterminator was to deal with residual hornets, the ones not in the nest at the time of its destruction.  They came an poisoned the nest in such a manner that returning hornets would be killed as well.  Then they returned in about 48 hours to remove the now dead nest.  In the process of doing that they removed any reason for hornets to attempt to rebuild there.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you are good at judging the danger of burning the whole state, fire is a fun way to get rid of a hornet’s nest. Some wasp and hornet spray is flammable. A quick shot of flammable spray and a flick of the bic and no more hornets.

So is gasoline in a tank sprayer...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1