The SWC 2021 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Square Wheels

Easy Solo FITTY miles today, 16.2 average speed. Just looking for some base mileage. Lucky me, found a bike head light laying on the ground. First a $20 on Sunday and now a light ha ha ha, my lucky week. Started late seeing it was very foggy this morning at home and not wanting to drive till it cleared up some.

Not too many people on the trail around me today. I think they all started early. A few heading back while I was starting.

:check:

20211106_115115.JPG

Not many people at the beach today.

20211106_142448-2-2.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Sad 1

26 miles with the missus. I put a 60mm stem with 6 degree rise on the Bianchi and it was much more comfortable.  The stem looks stubby AF but it’s way more comfortable than the 100 mm with 0 rise.  

I have been riding way more road than I prefer so plan to start taking the Bianchi out more. 

• Heart 4

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

26 miles with the missus. I put a 60mm stem with 6 degree rise on the Bianchi and it was much more comfortable.  The stem looks stubby AF but it’s way more comfortable than the 100 mm with 0 rise.  

I have been riding way more road than I prefer so plan to start taking the Bianchi out more. 

I flipped my stem to raise the handlebars on my SS road bike.  Not a huge rise, but it is a lot more comfortable for me with my bad shoulder.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I flipped my stem to raise the handlebars on my SS road bike.  Not a huge rise, but it is a lot more comfortable for me with my bad shoulder.  

Yeah small changes can make a big difference.

I bought the Bianchi in 09 and rode it that way for a long time. In 2018 I started riding my MTB & Cross bikes more and wasn’t riding the Bianchi much. Those bikes have a much shorter reach and I have them set up more upright.  When I did ride the Bianchi, it felt like I was reaching for the skewers, really long & low.

I could probably get used to it again but why…

• Heart 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Mr Beanz said:

24 miles with 1,429 ft of gain.

Awesome ride today with Sandra. She says she wants to get stronger so we did some climbing but at the top, had her do some intervals up Via Dicha which is a 7% grade. Half way up to a mailbox, once climbing and 3 more climbs going all out. Wow, awesome workout. I thought she would be tired after the intervals but she said it woke her up and she was feeling stronger. Heck, think I got more tired than she did ha ha ha! Different kind of ride.  Helping Sandra work out then cruising back to recover. Then a good climb to the top of Mills so Sandra could see CHWP and meet La LLorona ha ha ha!

Sandra did great and caught 4 PR's on the climbs. She asked me to help her get stronger as she was tired of all the clowns around her who say they are going to help her but seem to do nothing but race her to show their machisnmo side. So she was pretty happy at the end of the ride having someone actually help and guide her.

She did surprise me on one of the intervals up the 7% as she stood up and dropped me like a bad habit! :lol:

Hope to have a video tomorrow.

000interval.JPG

000intervl2.JPG

and a great night video, Beanz.  I have heard that reflective ankle bands can get attention as much as good tail lights.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

and a great night video, Beanz.  I have heard that reflective ankle bands can get attention as much as good tail lights.

Thanks AZ!

It is funny because there are some people on other sites that say reflective ankle bands are no help at all and useless. Some of the know it alls with no sense.

Heck, I started using bands because of people I saw WALKING/jogging up the local roads exercising. I could see the little reflector on the back of their sneakers from 1/8 of a mile back but not their lights or flashlights. The little reflector was the most visible and attention grabbing. As you say, sometimes more attraction than the lights. 

The motion of the reflector is a real eye grabber if you ask me.

The little band on Sandra's ankle, I gave it to her that day. I got 4 at Wally World for about $6. They just curl up and clip onto the ankle.

I also use tri color reflectors, more expensive but wider. I think these little green/yellow ones reflect more though.

I didn't notice till I saw the video that she had it on her right ankle. I'm going to suggest that she puts it on her left as that is where most of the traffic is while riding the streets. :lol:

54 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Thanks AZ!

I didn't notice till I saw the video that she had it on her right ankle. I'm going to suggest that she puts it on her left as that is where most of the traffic is while riding the streets. :lol:

I agree with your left ankle suggestion,  If I riding a long time in the dark, like a double century, I wear 2.  When I was working and started some short rides in the dark before work, I would just wear one on my left ankle

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I rode today with my friend Mike. 33 miles from Vienna to Falls Church where we shed the trail and rode on surface streets into North Arlington. Hilly roads like roller coasters. Williamsburg, Military Rd (appropros for Veterans Day). Joined the Custis Trail at Spout Run. Named for George’s wife Martha Custis. Rode to Key Bridge and joined the Mount Vernon trail by Teddy Roosevelt Island. Along the Potomac and the monuments, past Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon and National Airport. Return on the W&OD, mile marker 0 is next to the Weenie Beanie, a walk up dive restaurant. I’ve never eaten there but I’ve been tempted. We saw two guys wearing USSF cycling jerseys (Space Force). Beautiful day for a ride.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

41 miles with 2100+ ft gain today. Rode with Sandra and Tony. Tony did 20 and Sandra 30. She is getting ready for an organized century on Saturday and she wanted to ride so we went easy. Sandra and I rode to the chamber of commerce in the hosing town so she could pick up her jersey. Then she cut out at 30 so I went on for 41 and a little more gain. 

I didn't feel hot but an average of 91 and a high of 98 degrees. 

Video on Friday

Tony and Sandra

Capture1.JPG

Ran across this lady, 74 and still pedaling, NICE!

Capture4.JPG

Sandra happy with another ride in the books!

Capture6.JPG

It was a little lumpy! :D

Capture10.JPG

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

33 solo miles along the foothills again. 1,324 ft of gain. Ran across an organized ride called Tour De Foothills. I can't see paying $100 to do a ride on roads that I ride all the time for free. Did see a few riders I know. I rode along one road back and forth getting footage of the riders but not sure if it's worth making a video. :D

One lady I know, Nadine and in a little group at a stop.

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

The week long ride I used to do in Ohio about every other year had a free rider every year. He didn’t sign up for the ride and he didn’t load his gear on the trucks. I don’t know where he pitched his tent but he followed the route every day. The ride organizers provide porta potties, somewhere to camp, trucks to haul our gear, and arrange for organizations to set up rest stops and sell us food and drinks. Since they don’t actually provide food the cost to do the week long ride is quite reasonable (I think around $200.) I heard people joke about him but nobody was upset. The ride uses all public roads and trails and he hauled his gear on his bike. 

• Heart 1