The SWC 2021 Daily and Total Mileage Thread

Square Wheels

17 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

21 miles with 1100 ft gain.   Nice solo evening ride. Really nice, none of the exercisers out tonight. Change the temp to 70 and throw in some darkness, they all run for shelter ha ha ha! That was cool, had the road to myself. :D

Almost to the top of the first hill!

10052021A.JPG

Give me some room suckuh! :D

10052021B.JPG

Break time at a nice quiet little park. Nobody here either!

10052021C.JPG

The course and graph.

Capturemap.JPG

So is 70 considered chilly? I know it's a big change from 100, but 70 would have everyone outside around here. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, groupw said:

So is 70 considered chilly? I know it's a big change from 100, but 70 would have everyone outside around here. 

Yeah, that is the funny part! Above 80 is too hot. I have had people comment on being too hot to ride or do GMR. Wow! California weather, what do they want?

Then many feel below 70 is too cool. 60 is freezing cold.

Lots of spoiled sissies here in Cali! :nodhead:

Pretty much a joke! Few weeks back I was climbing a mountain road (GMR for the locals) in 102 heat. As cold as it gets here, I ride at night as well in 39 degrees. Nothing ever below that but it just amazed me how wussified Cali people are.

I remember back in 05, I climbed up a mtn road at 47 degrees in shorts and a jersey. The next day, Gina and I both hit the bike trail, 65 degrees in shorts and regular duds. Some dude rode up with toe shoe covers, jacket, full finger gloves, tights , and face cover, then said," you guys must be freezing, it's cold out here!". Wow, I been laughing at that one ever since. :D

Throw in a little wind with gusts of 25 or more, you got the trail to yourself. :P 

:48 into the video "that is the one thing about the trail, throw in a little wind and you have the bike trail to yourself!". Usually at least 200 riders on this trail on a ride. This day, saw about 10. :D

• Heart 3

Fifteen miles today, was checking out the gravel segment I took ninth place. There was a team rode down it last year as part of a century and they all were within a couple seconds of each other. Must have been a paceline. Two of the guys came back this year and tried to snag their teammates KOM they were still about two seconds slower. They all averaged over 20mph on gravel. I don’t think I’m going to unseat those guys. What I could do is snag local legend. That gravel road is about two miles from my house.

:check:

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Great question. His twin brother broke his collar bone a few weeks ago and isn't allowed to ride a bike yet. His other brother is only 4 years old and isn't ready to ride that far yet.

Don’t they know that twins are supposed to do everything together? How did Aiden not break his collar bone?

• Heart 1

Walked 3 miles yesterday

I met my cousins at their parents house & had a nice 12 MTB ride.  We stopped for coffee & a bagel after & had a chance to catch up.  I also chatted with my aunt & uncle for a bit before the ride.

Parkinson’s is taking my uncle down. I fear he won’t be with us too much longer.

:check:

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

I hope you have a good sleeping bag. You should have brought your wife to keep you warm.

I got a 3 season sleeping bag for my birthday from my kids this year. WoJSTL won't sleep in a tent so we would have been in a warm hotel room if she were here. Her cardiac rehab is going very well so maybe next year.

I'm probably cutting this trip short as my favorite aunt died today. I may need to be in Cincinnati around Friday. She was 90 years old and doing pretty well until the last year. 

• Hugs 2