My Wife Is Trying To Kill Me

Razors Edge

10 minutes ago, Zealot said:

My wife does most of the food preparation. But if she diets a certain way and I’m not into it, she either makes me something different, or I make myself something.  

Way too much work.  I'm all about efficiency!

On the plus side, I snack constantly, so I'll survive.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

She has adopted a low-carb diet.  For fuck sakes, I NEED CARBS in my life!!!!!  :frantics:

In other news, Wo2 eats a pastry or muffin every day for her crack-of-noon breakfast. She has been known to eat a slice of apple pie for breakfast.

• Awesome 1
  • Yum 1

Just now, 2Far said:

Well, mine's '55 model and seems to have developed a bit of a whine. The body's a bit dented up & there's a crack in the rear end that seems to be growing.

So, a "classic"!  You probably want to hold on to that one.  Too many folks I know of got rid of their's early and lost a lot of money on that mistake.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

@Razors Edge your wife’s been trying to kill you for years, she just searching for a method that works. Keep snacking.

If she tries the vegan, gluten-free nonsense, I'm OUTTA HERE!

I don't think she is that batsheot crazy?!?!?!

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

She has adopted a low-carb diet.

This is a pretty inefficient way to kill someone.  It may even have the opposite effect.  :(

She needs to come to the forum for some better methods she might employ to kill you.  I am sure we can help her immensely.  :)

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Just watch. You’ll lose ten pounds, feel more energy, ride faster, hit some wet leaves on a turn, go down hard, lay in the hospital for a week, get the faint satisfaction of a few last words, and then close your eyes for the sleep without dreams. Ah, I love it when a plan comes together. 

She keeps asking me if I have lost any weight, and I keep telling her I am still stuck at my end-of-vacation weight!  I've gotta keep these fat reserves to protect me from any long term illnesses!

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've gotta keep these fat reserves to protect me from any long term illnesses!

Fat as an immunity boost! Revolutionize the health care industry. F- that co-morbidity cant. Time for bumper stickers that say fat is my superpower.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

Fat as an immunity boost! Revolutionize the health care industry. F- that co-morbidity cant. Time for bumper stickers that say fat is my superpower.

Heavy folks do much better in cases where it is a lingering disease or time in a hospital.  I'm just hedging my bets!

16 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Studies show that fat doesn’t raise insulin levels and the low fat craze actually made people fatter by adding carbs & removing fat from products.

I worry less about fat and focus more on carb control but mine is for different reasons than most of you.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Studies show that fat doesn’t raise insulin levels and the low fat craze actually made people fatter by adding carbs & removing fat from products.

I worry less about fat and focus more on carb control but mine is for different reasons than most of you.

Added sugar is the devil.  I generally love fat and protein. But I also love carrots, and now those are on the "bad" list :(  And chickpeas???? I love chickpeas, but they're high in carbs, so not making the cut! Lentils too!

Just now, JerrySTL said:

After her heart attack, WoJSTL put us on a low sodium diet. It's certainly going to kill me as I have lost 15 pounds in less than a year. At this rate, there won't be anything left of me in 14 years.

Salt! Who doesn't love salt?!?!?!  I'm convinced folks are trying to steal the joy out of life!

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Added sugar is the devil.  I generally love fat and protein. But I also love carrots, and now those are on the "bad" list :(  And chickpeas???? I love chickpeas, but they're high in carbs, so not making the cut! Lentils too!

Carrots?  My dietician never put those on the limit list.  It’s mostly starchy veggies like potato, peas & corn that you should limit if you are low carb.  

I actually don’t limit any veg except potato as chickpea, carrots & lentles don’t spike my glucose.  If you limit bread & other added sugars and have a stir fry with carrots you should be fine.  I like a this Greek place and get their chicken & dip it in hummus and lay off the pita bread and my glucose is fine after.

FYI I eat a lot of Saifun noodles as they are made with mung bean and don’t spike glucose.  They are also GF so my daughter can eat them.  They are often referred to as glass noodles.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My BiL lowered his A1c from 7 to 4 and lowered his cholesterol with a keto diet. 

• Heart 3

53 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Studies show that fat doesn’t raise insulin levels

My research (admittedly about 5 years old now) showed that body mass did affect insulin in the body.  Increased body mass results in increased blood levels and with even a normal working pancreas, the insulin levels in the blood stream are reduced.  Body mass issues can also create circulation issues that exacerbates the already reduced insulin levels.

31 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My research (admittedly about 5 years old now) showed that body mass did affect insulin in the body.  Increased body mass results in increased blood levels and with even a normal working pancreas, the insulin levels in the blood stream are reduced.  Body mass issues can also create circulation issues that exacerbates the already reduced insulin levels.

I’m trying to wrap my head around this statement but I think it’s consistent with common diabetic management methodology.

Diabetics are basically insulin resistant in that we aren’t making enough insulin to process the carbs we are ingesting.  This also leads to weight gain as the excess blood glucose we don’t burn & is processed by the insulin & converted to fat. So weight gain ads blood volume & so also lessens the effect of insulin which is already struggling to manage the glucose.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

insulin levels in the blood stream are reduced. 

It’s actually the opposite. In type II Diabetes, aka adult onset, it’s insulin resistance at the cellular level that makes for abnormally high blood glucose levels. So even when you have “normal” or high insulin levels, the blood sugars stay high. So the body then releases even more insulin, which then results in additional fat storage, which then worsens the cycle, as being more obese worsens insulin resistance. 

Type I diabetes means your pancreas isn’t making enough insulin. These patients aren’t resistant to the benefits of insulin, they just need to replace what would be naturally occurring. They use far less insulin than the type 2 patients who get administer it.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Nobody needs carbs in their life. They have been replaced by computer controlled fuel injection.

You're probably one of the Teslarati and hyping the anti-carb, all electric future, aren't you?!?!!?  All that driving to OH has gotten to you!

• Haha 1