I'm a guinea pig in my own food poisoning experiments

MickinMD

It was the old meatballs - I think.

I made spaghetti a few nights ago, mostly with stuff I've had for a while and soon had severe diarrhea for an hour then was fine. I figured it was food poisoning.

Everything had tasted excellent.

I checked the angel hair pasta and I had ordered it online in March, 2023: pasta is supposed to be good for at least two years.

I checked the freshly opened Prego Spaghetti Sauce Jar where I used 8 of the 23.75 oz: use by Aug. 2024. I could hear the vacuum seal pop when I opened it.

I checked the refrigerated Parmesan cheese and it was good and I had used it for other stuff within the past week.

i checked the in-the-fridge for months, freshly opened jar of Clausen Dill Pickles and I had just used up another jar I bought at the same time.  It's in vinegar and tastes great and, again, the vacuum sound popped when I opened it.

The frozen meatballs were really old.  I had bought a new bag of 0.5 oz, precooked, frozen meatballs, used some of it, then discovered this older, opened and wrapped shut with a rubber band, mostly-used bag in the back of the freezer.

So, today, I decided to make a meatball sandwich for lunch on two slices of fresh bread with 5 meatballs cut in half, a few heaping teaspoons of the Prego sauce and a slice of new, individually-wrapped, Kraft American cheese.

Within an hour I had the runs for about 15 minutes then I was fine.  It's not likely the use-by-8/24, freshly opened this week, Prego.

So I'm going to toss the last 8 or so old meatballs if tomorrow's experiment goes ok.

Tomorrow, I'm going to make a meatball sandwich with the Prego and the new meatballs and a slice of cheese.

That should confirm it was the old meatballs or the Prego or both.  I'll either toss the meatballs or the Prego.

Yeah, I'm too cheap throw out $2 worth of Prego.  I'm almost positive it's fine.

i made my homemade, canned spaghetti sauce too thick and have to add 8 oz. of tomato sauce to each pint, stir it around in a bowl.  Put 2/3 of it back in the Mason Jar, and use the other third on my pasta.  I was too lazy so I decided to use one of the jars of Prego I still had.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hugs 2

47 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

So I'm going to toss the last 8 or so old meatballs if tomorrow's experiment goes ok.

Today’s deductions pretty much isolated the meatballs. If you eat them again tomorrow, that’s three times. And you know what they say about the third time! Let the meatballs go. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Today’s deductions pretty much isolated the meatballs. If you eat them again tomorrow, that’s three times. And you know what they say about the third time! 

He's eating new meatballs tomorrow.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't food poisoning last longer?

I think your belly just wasn't happy about something. Mine pulls that bs on me fairly often. I use generic lactaid when I feel it coming on. Lactaid is just a digestive enzyme that works great for much more than milk.

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Today’s deductions pretty much isolated the meatballs. If you eat them again tomorrow, that’s three times. And you know what they say about the third time! Let the meatballs go. 

There are two packages of meatballs, each originally with 52 half-ounce precooked meatballs.

The older one is the problem.  I discovered it hiding in the back of the freezer after I was halfway through then new package.

The meatball, spaghetti sauce, and cheese sandwich I'll make today will use the new package to double-check that it's not the Prego.

It was the meatballs!  Today I had the same sandwich as my first guinea pig experiment except new, precooked, frozen meatballs with an expiration date of 11/14/24.  No problems a couple hours later.

4 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

My understanding is it takes more than an hour for food poisoning to kick in.  When I've poisoned myself, it usually takes 6 or 7 hours.

What did you have earlier in the day?

5 hours ago, a bunch of numbers said:

Meatballs aren't going to go bad sitting in the freezer.

I know that when you drink that wretched stuff the day before you have a colonoscopy it doesn't take long for it to kick-in and your intestines are so cleaned out you don't need a #2 in the following 1 or 2 days.  The first proglem, a delicious spaghetti dinner with so-so meatballs affected me like that for an hour, then I was fine.  And I didn't need a #2 the next day.

Maybe it wasn't strictly food poisoning - I got over the two episodes in a 1 hour and a less than half hour period and they both began about an hour after eating - it wasn't due to eating anything hours earlier.  Maybe the old ones were a little too freezer burned, I have no idea how long they were hiding in the back of the freezer and any warning taste was masked by the sauce, and my digestive system vigorously objected.  All I can say is that the only times I started getting intestinal cramps and almost-water #2's was after eating those meatballs - I eliminated the other stuff.

The new meatballs are so tasty compared to the old ones, but with spaghetti sauce all over the old ones, I didn't notice the lack of taste until I could compare with the great new ones.  The new meatballs were so good I might have two meatball/sauce/cheese sandwiches for dinner while watching the Ravens beat the Chiefs in 68 minutes, along with some potato wedges baked in the oven.

The new meatballs are the ones I love, "Cooked Perfect" brand that I normally get at Food Lion supermarket or Walmart.  It comes in 26 oz. frozen bags of fifty-two 1/2 oz. meatballs or 26 1 oz. meatballs.  The just under 1" diameter 0.5 oz. meatballs work for me and come in a few different varieties and I like "Italian Style."
At some point in the dim past, I couldn't find them and bought Rosini 0.5 oz. meatballs in a similar 26 oz. package.

The Rosini ones were very old and the use by date either wore off or was never clearly imprinted.

These are very good tasting meatballs:

image.thumb.png.31a0230313d6a1e5d9b016469e63fdf3.png

When troubleshooting, you should only change one thing at a time. Although there are times when it's the combination of things causing a problem.

One thing that I didn't see in your troubleshooting steps was anything about preparation. Maybe something like a chopping block is bad or some utensil is infected. Also did you check the temperature of the food when cooked? If it didn't get hot enough, that could cause issued.

On the plus side, food poisoning is one hell of a weight loss program.

My in-laws used to do an extended family dinner at a seafood place about 20 miles from the home hood. It was a great seafood buffet and we would all eat way too much.

About halfway home was a truck stop, Aunt El would have clenched cheeks and be softly cussing at the driver to get her to the ladies room now.

Why we didn't just stay at the restaurant an other twenty minutes I don't know, but that was the routine.

• Haha 2