Do you put off simple things?

jsharr

I have known for quite some time that I am eligible to join the Son's of the Republic of Texas.  Did a lot of research on my own and then a friend did even more.  He even completed by application in full, downloaded images of the census records and the land grant that are key to my being able to claim that my family was in Texas while it was a Republic.  

I finally took the steps to get my application submitted last night.  Waiting to hear back from the President of the local chapter, whose ranch I will be at on Friday with the Scouts.  If he says all is good, I am basically in.  

Not sure why I put simple things off, but I do.  

How about you? 

• Heart 2

I have had many people tell me I should apply for my veterans card for veterans services & discounts but it’s never really been an issue for me.  I secured my first mortgage via VA Loan but that was it. I had to have a sales clerk at Oakley force the Veterans discount on me as I wasn’t about to ask for it.  

Its an easy process so I’m told but not one I’ll ever bother to do..

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have had many people tell me I should apply for my veterans card for veterans services & discounts but it’s never really been an issue for me.  I secured my first mortgage via VA Loan but that was it. I had to have a sales clerk at Oakley force the Veterans discount on me as I wasn’t about to ask for it.  

Its an easy process so I’m told but not one I’ll ever bother to do..

Did you apply for your free National Park Pass? National Park admission is free for Veterans. 

• Heart 2

Just now, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Did you apply for your free National Park Pass? National Park admission is free for Veterans. 

Nope! You know the other funny thing is we bank at Navy Federal but because my wife worked for the navy as a civilian and I became a member through her!  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ChrisL said:

Nope! You know the other funny thing is we bank at Navy Federal but because my wife worked for the navy as a civilian and I became a member through her!  

So have your wife sign you up for all the things.  You served and earned them.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Even if you didn’t join because of your wife, you’re eligible as a veteran; branch of service doesn’t matter anymore.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Yup...ie. paying taxes.

Me too.  I realized it was mid-March and I hadn't started doing anything.  Contacted the tax guy and got a meeting on the books which made me have to be prepared.  Boom! Done.

Looked back at last year's email with him and was the same delay. :dontknow:

Oil changes on the older cars, and haircuts for myself.  Need to swing by the eye doctor for updated prescription and new glasses.  

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

So have your wife sign you up for all the things.  You served and earned them.

I’m sure many veterans feel this way but my take on veterans status is this.  I enlisted for me, as a means to an end and not due to any nationalism or patriotism.  Sure I recognized I may have to fight and die for my country but I was willing to take that chance to achieve my goals.  I feel I deserve what I got (life skills, training & education)  and don’t ned anything else from Uncle Sam.  

I’ll keep the VA clear for those who truly need it and want those services. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Even if you didn’t join because of your wife, you’re eligible as a veteran; branch of service doesn’t matter anymore.

So we opened accounts for our kids and our SIL loves NFCU and switched his accounts over.  So NFCU has a member who’s married to the daughter of a former Navy employee! 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

A number of states have free or discounted park passes for veterans as well.

My sister always used the veterans discount at Home Depot which added up to a nice savings.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I have known for quite some time that I am eligible to join the Son's of the Republic of Texas.  Did a lot of research on my own and then a friend did even more.  He even completed by application in full, downloaded images of the census records and the land grant that are key to my being able to claim that my family was in Texas while it was a Republic.  

I finally took the steps to get my application submitted last night.  Waiting to hear back from the President of the local chapter, whose ranch I will be at on Friday with the Scouts.  If he says all is good, I am basically in.  

Not sure why I put simple things off, but I do.  

How about you? 

I did the same thing with The Descendants of World War II Rangers, I finally applied, checked out, and joined a couple years ago.

• Heart 1

Just now, MickinMD said:

I did the same thing with The Descendants of World War II Rangers, I finally applied, checked out, and joined a couple years ago.

I still have to think about if I want to join Sons of the American Revolution, the Union Veterans of the Civil War and Sons of the Confederacy.  I am thinking yes to the Revolution and no to the other two. 

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, jsharr said:

I still have to think about if I want to join Sons of the American Revolution, the Union Veterans of the Civil War and Sons of the Confederacy.  I am thinking yes to the Revolution and no to the other two. 

A childhood friend learned, in his 40[s, he had an ancestor that fought for the Confederacy at Petersburg and would sometimes drive down to check out the battlefield.  He was torn between not joining or joining the Sons of the Confederacy because he hated the Confereracy but honored the courage of the soldiers who were fighting because, as one prisoner replied to a union soldier, "Because you're down here."  The said the name should be changed to Descendants of the Confederate Soldiers.

19 hours ago, Kirby said:

A number of states have free or discounted park passes for veterans as well.

My sister always used the veterans discount at Home Depot which added up to a nice savings.

Wild or not wild?  African or European?  Laden or unladen? :scratchhead: