By the way.

maddmaxx

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How do you manage?

I love meatloaf, and make the very best ever!  It is meatloaf season, too, so I better get after that.

So let's have your recipe and don't include anything I can't buy here Sweetpants. I love meat loaf, there's something so basic and satisfying about it.

4 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

So let's have your recipe and don't include anything I can't buy here Sweetpants. I love meat loaf, there's something so basic and satisfying about it.

Hmm, let me remember...

Ground beast of some sort, raw oatmeal, milk, onion, egg, salt and pepper is the basic recipe.  Tomato paste, mustard, and brown sugar on the top.  After I make that a few times, I might sub out some of the meat with mushrooms, and might add some peas and corn, but not a lot.  Hot sauce may be involved if I go a bit fancy, too.

Basic but great.

28 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Which is better in your opinion - meatloaf or haggis?

I have to say that I love both but they both vary according to the cook. To those who haven't tried haggis then do so as it's very tasty and especially with turnip or neeps. Hard to get decent tasting turnips these days as they now taste of little ata all. I think that this is a result of our soil being exhausted by farmers who now never let the soil lie fallow but immediately plant another crop.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm, let me remember...

Ground beast of some sort, raw oatmeal, milk, onion, egg, salt and pepper is the basic recipe.  Tomato paste, mustard, and brown sugar on the top.  After I make that a few times, I might sub out some of the meat with mushrooms, and might add some peas and corn, but not a lot.  Hot sauce may be involved if I go a bit fancy, too.

Basic but great.

So....you use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs...that's interesting and I've never thought of that but certainly will try it. Have you tried a generous dash of Soya sauce in the mix...it brings out a really meaty flavour and again instead of onions I like to use shallots.

I use a beef and pork blend...sometimes a little blue cheese in the middle.  I use bread crumbs....no sugar..1 egg (or 2 if they are small), some times a dash of wooshtishire (however you want to spell it) a dash of ketchup & mustard...the seasoning...and or cheese option can change depending on what is in the fridge...did not use cheese this past weekend........don't always use worcestershire.

Usually have a baked potato with it  Mmmmmmm

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

So....you use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs...that's interesting and I've never thought of that but certainly will try it. Have you tried a generous dash of Soya sauce in the mix...it brings out a really meaty flavour and again instead of onions I like to use shallots.

Ooh, hadn't thought about soy sauce before, I might do some of that next time!

I have also never used worcestershire sauce either, how much do you put in?

Worcestershire sauce

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Worcestershire Sauce
Lea&P-Worcestershire.jpeg
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce Label
Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce 150ml.jpg
Bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Product type Condiment
Owner Kraft Heinz
Produced by Lea & Perrins
Country Worcester, England
Introduced 1837
Previous owners
Registered as a trademark in
  • UK 15 May 2001[1]
  • EU 28 January 2002[2]
Tagline
  • - The Original and Genuine
  • - Just a dash makes all the difference
Website http://www.leaandperrins.co.uk
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 405 kJ (97 kcal)

21 g

Fat
0.9 g

0.8 g
Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.

Worcestershire sauce (Listeni/ˈwʊstərʃər/),[3] (Merriam-Webster: \ˈwu̇s-tə(r)-ˌshir-, -shər- also -ˌshī(-ə)r-\ ) sometimes shortened to Worcester sauce (/ˈwʊstər/), is a fermented liquid condiment of complex mixture, first created by the Worcester chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins, who later went on to form the company Lea & Perrins.

The pair devised the recipe in the 1830s, however it wasn't to their liking and was set aside and forgotten about. It wasn't until the barrels were rediscovered many months later that the taste had mellowed into what is now known as Worcestershire Sauce.

To this day, the ingredients are allowed to mature for 18 months before being blended and bottled in Worcester, where the exact recipe is still kept a secret.

Although Lea & Perrins are recognised as the leading global brand of Worcestershire Sauce, other brands offer their own similar recipe and may add other spices to their own versions of Worcestershire Sauce.

Worcestershire sauce is complex and unique in its flavour and aroma and frequently used to enhance various food and drink recipes. It is often an ingredient in Welsh rarebit, Caesar salad, Oysters Kirkpatrick, Deviled Eggs and sometimes added to chili con carne, beef stew and other beef dishes. Worcestershire sauce is also used to flavour cocktails such as Bloody Mary or Caesar.[4]

Soy sauce

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soy sauce
Soy sauce with wasabi.jpg
A bowl of soy sauce with floating wasabi paste.
Chinese name
Traditional Chinese 醬油
Simplified Chinese 酱油
Literal meaning "sauce oil"
[show]Transcriptions
Alternative Chinese name
Chinese 豉油
Literal meaning "fermented bean oil"
[show]Transcriptions
Burmese name
Burmese ပဲငံပြာရည်
IPA [pɛ́ ŋàɴ bjà jè]
Vietnamese name
Vietnamese xì dầu or nước tương
Thai name
Thai ซีอิ๊ว (rtgssi-iw)
Korean name
Hangul 간장
Hanja 간醬
[show]Transcriptions
Japanese name
Kanji 醤油
Hiragana しょうゆ
[show]Transcriptions
Malay name
Malay kicap
Indonesian name
Indonesian kecap
Filipino name
Tagalog toyo

Soy sauce (also called soya sauce)[1][2] is a condiment made from a fermented paste of boiled soybeans, roasted grain, brine, and Aspergillus oryzae or Aspergillus sojae molds.[3] It originated in its current form in China in the 2nd century AD and spread throughout East and Southeast Asia where it is used in cooking and as a condiment.[4]

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Ooh, hadn't thought about soy sauce before, I might do some of that next time!

I have also never used worcestershire sauce either, how much do you put in?

A couple of teaspoons or so and I add Worcestershire sauce as well as it has a great taste. It adds a little something to all meat dishes.

I don't make meatloaf. I make burger patties or meatballs.

Last night we had some meat patties that I made with blue cheese, panko, egg, Worcestershire, onion, and garlic powder. We had some steamed veggies with it. I used some very lean grass fed beef for the burger. Yum.

Can you still call it a burger without a bun?

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't make meatloaf. I make burger patties or meatballs.

Last night we had some meat patties that I made with blue cheese, panko, egg, Worcestershire, onion, and garlic powder. We had some steamed veggies with it. I used some very lean grass fed beef for the burger. Yum.

Can you still call it a burger without a bun?

Now you see this is where you're going all wrong....lean meat generally lacks flavour and the most flavoursome meat has streaks of fat running through it. Mind you I like the sound of the ingredients you use but had to Google "Panko" which I'd never heard of before now.