Should I Let Him Go?

ChrisL

A couple of weeks ago my wife saw a little tiny baby lizard in the house so we caught him and I set him up in a 10 gallon tank with some dirt & rocks.  We named him Freddie and he's quiet the hungry little fella.  I've been catching him little crickets and small flies and he eats them up with gusto!  Except I need to go on a business trip next week and will be gone all week.  My family doesn't like catching him things so he won't be fed for a week.  I'm thinking of just letting him go but he's such a cool little guy. 

Should I trust my family to feed him or just release him? 

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The local pet store sells crickets for food.

We have gobs of them in my greenbelt out front.  There is a sidewalk light that draws them in and I catch them easily with a little fish net.  The problem is my lizard can't eat fully grown crickets as they are nearly as big as he is so I have to catch the little baby ones.  With my aging eyes they are hard to see... 

OK I'll figure out a way to get some water in there.  He's gone like 3 weeks without it though?!?!?   

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We have gobs of them in my greenbelt out front.  There is a sidewalk light that draws them in and I catch them easily with a little fish net.  The problem is my lizard can't eat fully grown crickets as they are nearly as big as he is so I have to catch the little baby ones.  With my aging eyes they are hard to see... 

OK I'll figure out a way to get some water in there.  He's gone like 3 weeks without it though?!?!?   

Now that's draining your lizard.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

The lizard is likely getting all the moisture it needs from the food.  IMO, he will be fine without eating for a week, but best to supply water if you aren't feeding.

Do you know what kind of lizard it is?  Some are omnivorous.

A lounge lizard?

• Heart 1

When we kept a leopard gecko we would buy crickets at the pet store.  They have large and small.  We had a small hollowed out rock that we put water in.  Just added some every few days.  Helps with the correct humidity in the tank too.

We had a special powder that we would dust over the crickets before letting them loose.  It was a mix of vitamins and nutrients that he needed.  Just toss a few crickets in a baggie, add some powder, shake and then dump them into the tank.

You can also get a heat light for him or a heat mat for under the sand/gravel.

8 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

The lizard is likely getting all the moisture it needs from the food.  IMO, he will be fine without eating for a week, but best to supply water if you aren't feeding.

Do you know what kind of lizard it is?  Some are omnivorous.

Nah I sure don't. We have alligator lizards which are kind of distinctive and then a bunch of regular lizards that all kinda look the same to me.  He's one of those kind.  Cute little bugger too.  I think he is learning to associate people with food. Whenever he see's us he kinda cranks his head up and waits for the bug to fall in the tank and than nails it.  

16 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Carnivorous? Watch your back

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Freddie is about 1/2 the length of my little finger, I'm not worried... 

Be careful how many of those crickets you feed him.  Carnivorous - 1/2 the length of my little finger.  I'm guessing you never read this thriller......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6Ly0qgFN2T66Gg5LmFow

• Heart 1