Olympic observations

pedalphile

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I think the Koreans that competed were actually Korean though. :) 

Well  the South Korean ice dancers are both from the US - although they provided one of the highlights so far when Yura Min very deftly handled a wardrobe malfunction during the short dance. 

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Well  the South Korean ice dancers are both from the US - although they provided one of the highlights so far when Yura Min very deftly handled a wardrobe malfunction during the short dance. 

I've never been a fan of this sort of "move to where you can be on the team" sort of thing.  I know there is a US woman on the Mexican team now (Sarah Schleper).  We have lots of folks who have come from other countries and made the US team, so it's not like we don't profit from the process. It does seem, though, in the US case it would be tougher to make a US team than an Estonian or a Moroccan or the Costa Rican team. Probably team size and invites of some sort play into it?

------------------------------------

Schleper also competed in four Winter Olympics, earning her best finish of tenth in the slalom event at Turin in 2006. Schleper was named to the US team for the 2010 Winter Olympics in late 2009. Schleper announced her retirement shortly before competing in her last world cup slalom on December 29, 2011 in Lienz, Austria. In her career spanning a total of 15 years, she took part in 186 World Cup races and achieved 4 podium finishes and one victory.

Schleper plans to compete at the 2018 Winter Olympics. Her Olympic effort is self-funded. She represents one of two athletes for Alpine Mexico, the other being Rodolfo Dickson.

Tom

In skating at least, it's often easier to make it from a different country, but you still have to meet minimum levels to qualify for the Olympics.  In the case of the Korean ice dancer, her parents emigrated from South Korea and she had citizenship.  I don't believe her partner had any connections but he applied and met the requirements for citizenship. But they had to qualify to earn one of the available spots. In some cases, it does just look like country shopping, but in other cases people have some genuine connection with the country.  Plus, for many smaller countries, it may be a way to start to develop a program in that country and the country  benefits from the experience of the athlete. 

In Sarah's case, I think her husband is from Mexico and she's also been working with the younger Mexican skiers to help train them.

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

One has to wonder how athletes can excel at the rifle shooting part of the biathlon when they come from countries where the citizens don't have a constitutionally protected right to own firearms.

By that reasoning the US would be sweeping the board, yet I don't see it? :P

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, pedalphile said:

By that reasoning the US would be sweeping the board, yet I don't see it? :P

Not necessarily.  Having access to firearms does not automatically generate the skill of superior marksmanship.

To further illustrate the point though, you don't see countries with wide swaths of desert showing up to ski in the biathlon at the Olympics.

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Not necessarily.  Having access to firearms does not automatically generate the skill of superior marksmanship.

To further illustrate the point though, you don't see countries with wide swaths of desert showing up to ski in the biathlon at the Olympics.

Re your 1st point, true, you need access then practice. Henry VIII banned footie and made archery practice compulsory, but that was when England was more serious about the Games.

Re your 2nd point, the way Qatar and Bahrain buy in athletes it may not be long before they can celebrate a biathlon medal or 2.

15 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

One has to wonder how athletes can excel at the rifle shooting part of the biathlon when they come from countries where the citizens don't have a constitutionally protected right to own firearms.

Was that a serious comment TK? It doesn't seem like one of your normal reasoned responses.

Tom

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Was that a serious comment TK? It doesn't seem like one of your normal reasoned responses.

Tom

Entirely.  If you look at the list of teams that have fielded biathlon participants, there are only two (Guam and Costa Rica) that stand out as having no possibility of snow within their borders.  I suspect these outliers may have been the case where someone who got cut from another team wanted to participate, so they contacted a country that had no team.  You could also look to Israel, where military service is compulsory for most of its citizens, but they've never fielded a competitor in the biathlon event.

So, if one lived in a country without snow, you're pretty much out of luck if you want to excel in the event unless they ship you to train elsewhere.  Likewise, if you live in a country where access to firearms is denied the citizens, how does one develop an interest, not to mention a talent, in any event where shooting is involved?  Where would you get access to firearms?

One answer is, of course, to draw the participants from the military.  The old Communist Bloc countries used to do that - 'draft' athletes into the military where the 'assignment' would be training for the Olympics.

Another possible answer would be to obtain a firearm illegally, which is a route not likely to result in appearance at the Olympics however.  (It does highlight the fact that banning guns doesn't stop criminals from getting them and using them.)

I suppose another approach might be licensed or state-sanctioned shooting clubs, where guns are owned by the club and not by the citizens.  I know such clubs did exist in Europe at one time, but I don't know if they've since been made illegal.

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Entirely.  If you look at the list of teams that have fielded biathlon participants, there are only two (Guam and Costa Rica) that stand out as having no possibility of snow within their borders.  I suspect these outliers may have been the case where someone who got cut from another team wanted to participate, so they contacted a country that had no team.  You could also look to Israel, where military service is compulsory for most of its citizens, but they've never fielded a competitor in the biathlon event.

So, if one lived in a country without snow, you're pretty much out of luck if you want to excel in the event unless they ship you to train elsewhere.  Likewise, if you live in a country where access to firearms is denied the citizens, how does one develop an interest, not to mention a talent, in any event where shooting is involved?  Where would you get access to firearms?

One answer is, of course, to draw the participants from the military.  The old Communist Bloc countries used to do that - 'draft' athletes into the military where the 'assignment' would be training for the Olympics.

Another possible answer would be to obtain a firearm illegally, which is a route not likely to result in appearance at the Olympics however.  (It does highlight the fact that banning guns doesn't stop criminals from getting them and using them.)

I suppose another approach might be licensed or state-sanctioned shooting clubs, where guns are owned by the club and not by the citizens.  I know such clubs did exist in Europe at one time, but I don't know if they've since been made illegal.

I was making a comment regarding "citizens don't have a constitutionally protected right to own firearms".  That is pretty much 95+% of the world, so I figured you were just making a funny comment versus a serious one.

Tom

I love shouting "USA!" etc. at 4th of July fireworks events, U.S. Naval Academy athletics (25 minutes from my house), etc.  My family has contributed soldiers to every major U.S. war since my Great-Uncle John fought in Cuba during the Spanish-American War through my father losing half his left hand in WW2 to my brother-in-law fighting in Iraq and I left several more out. I spent a couple years working on a component to make the fuel used in the Tomahawk Cruise Missile burn smoothly so its onboard mapping and GPS can be accurate.

But I feel a little uncomfortable about waving the flag - and the effect it must have on other countries - at the Olympics.

The Olympics were originally restarted in the 1800's to bring athletes of different countries together in competition to form a bond that would promote international friendship.  No team scores were recorded.

Then the USA began to keep team gold-silver-bronze comparisons and soon everyone was doing it.

During the Cold War, the Communist Countries worked hard to develop top level athletes for political promotion purposes. I owned (maybe it's still in an attic box) an East German track coaching book translated into English on developing young track and field athletes and it included how to recognize 10-12 year-olds that should be immersed not only in track but in "proper" political ideals.

It seems to me that this year, more than any, the NBC interviewers are asking the athletes how much it means to them to compete FOR THEIR COUNTRY.  Of course, the original modern Olympic creators must turn in their graves every time they hear that.  Of course, it's refreshing to me to see the American, Japanese, Russian, German, etc. athletes cheering for each other in Slopestyle Snowboarding, Luge, Skating, etc.  I think that has a bigger effect on world peace than shouting "USA! USA! USA!" - which stands out when others consider it rude to shout "Deutschland!" (Germany), "Nippon!" (Japan), "Zhongguo!" (China), etc.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I love shouting "USA!" etc. at 4th of July fireworks events, U.S. Naval Academy athletics (25 minutes from my house), etc.  My family has contributed soldiers to every major U.S. war since my Great-Uncle John fought in Cuba during the Spanish-American War through my father losing half his left hand in WW2 to my brother-in-law fighting in Iraq and I left several more out. I spent a couple years working on a component to make the fuel used in the Tomahawk Cruise Missile burn smoothly so its onboard mapping and GPS can be accurate.

But I feel a little uncomfortable about waving the flag - and the effect it must have on other countries - at the Olympics.

The Olympics were originally restarted in the 1800's to bring athletes of different countries together in competition to form a bond that would promote international friendship.  No team scores were recorded.

Then the USA began to keep team gold-silver-bronze comparisons and soon everyone was doing it.

During the Cold War, the Communist Countries worked hard to develop top level athletes for political promotion purposes. I owned (maybe it's still in an attic box) an East German track coaching book translated into English on developing young track and field athletes and it included how to recognize 10-12 year-olds that should be immersed not only in track but in "proper" political ideals.

It seems to me that this year, more than any, the NBC interviewers are asking the athletes how much it means to them to compete FOR THEIR COUNTRY.  Of course, the original modern Olympic creators must turn in their graves every time they hear that.  Of course, it's refreshing to me to see the American, Japanese, Russian, German, etc. athletes cheering for each other in Slopestyle Snowboarding, Luge, Skating, etc.  I think that has a bigger effect on world peace than shouting "USA! USA! USA!" - which stands out when others consider it rude to shout "Deutschland!" (Germany), "Nippon!" (Japan), "Zhongguo!" (China), etc.

Yeah, the whole USA, USA thing doesn't play well to foreign crowds. 

4 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Speaking of which, when Canada last hosted this thing they won no friends with the whole “own the podium” thing, prompting 1 of my favourite Guardian headlines, Owning the Odium.

It is still in place. http://www.ownthepodium.org/Funding

Feel free to contribute. 

Canadians were tired of lacklustre international competition.  The government provides zero leadership or stewardship so Own the Podium was formed. 

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, the whole USA, USA thing doesn't play well to foreign crowds. 

The whole set up of the Olympics is nationalistic.  Parade of nations, national anthems for the winners, team uniforms delineated by country.  

Are you telling me that when the Dutch crowd fills the speed skating arena wearing orange from head to toe that they don't have nationalistic chants?

It's harmless.  It' no different than cheering for the Packers, if you live in Green Bay.

2 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

The whole set up of the Olympics is nationalistic.  Parade of nations, national anthems for the winners, team uniforms delineated by country.  

Are you telling me that when the Dutch crowd fills the speed skating arena wearing orange from head to toe that they don't have nationalistic chants?

It's harmless.  It' no different than cheering for the Packers, if you live in Green Bay.

USA USA sounds thuggish.  Wearing cheese on your head is just funny. :) 

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

FWIW, Mick, the Shani Davis dustup was about who was going to carry the flag representing the US in the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is something every country participating does.

But I also did see where a Russian luge guy (luger?) who wasn't going to be able to go to the Olympics due to the doping ban sent his sled to an American to see if it would work for him. It was too small. But a great gesture among sportsmen.

3 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

FWIW, Mick, the Shani Davis dustup was about who was going to carry the flag representing the US in the Olympics Opening Ceremony, which is something every country participating does.

But I also did see where a Russian luge guy (luger?) who wasn't going to be able to go to the Olympics due to the doping ban sent his sled to an American to see if it would work for him. It was too small. But a great gesture among sportsmen.

Or a poisoned chalice, the sled could be doped.

23 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

But I also did see where a Russian luge guy (luger?) who wasn't going to be able to go to the Olympics due to the doping ban sent his sled to an American to see if it would work for him. It was too small.

A good thing too.

We could have had a whole 'nother collusion investigation on our hands.  :rolleyes: