I rode a bike with no wheels

Square Wheels

Just now, Razors Edge said:

:(

Everything about those photos make me sad for you.

The roller set-up is neat, though.  Still sad, but neat.

I think that setup is great, and would love to have something like that!  It probably comes in super handy when the weather is crap, and the weather in the northeast (or anywhere on the east coast) is pretty constantly crappy.  Plus, if you only have time for a quick workout, it would be perfect!

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:(

Everything about those photos make me sad for you.

The roller set-up is neat, though.  Still sad, but neat.

Tom

I've ridden in icky weather before, I don't see the purpose.  I end up with a filthy bike, cold toes and fingers, tons more laundry, and a terrible attitude toward riding.  If this gets me on the bike, then I'm good.  I didn't ride my rollers for a while.  I got thrown to the floor a few times, it hurt.  SO I built this.  I rarely touch the sides now, probably a few thousand miles on this setup.  I'll always have railings.

rollers.jpg

20 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How is 'The Haunting'?

I hate  horror.  I was watching Friends.  Netflix seems to think we all want to see horror, I wish I could pick what shows up.

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think that setup is great, and would love to have something like that!  It probably comes in super handy when the weather is crap, and the weather in the northeast (or anywhere on the east coast) is pretty constantly crappy.  Plus, if you only have time for a quick workout, it would be perfect!

Today was just cold, and windy.

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is that fork attachment to simulate a hill? Resistance increases & fork goes up a notch?

Yes.  If you use a program (I use Zwift), it goes up and down with the hills.  It was pretty cool.

15 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I thought you were supposed to have a fan for something like that?

Wahoo makes a fan that changes wind (fan) speed with the program you are riding.  Seems cool, but $250 is even more than I would spend on a fan.  Oddly, I've ridden in my basmenet a lot, I've never used a fan.

KICKR Headwind Bluetooth Fan

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Dude in the gaff above mine has an exercise bike, the moran. I get out there on the road every day, in all weather, the noise I make doing this bothers no one.

I leave my house in the dark, I get home in the dark.  Seems like a decent compromise.  Don't feel it makes me a moron.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I leave my house in the dark, I get home in the dark.  Seems like a decent compromise.  Don't feel it makes me a moron.

And nor should you and I don’t either, the moran I mentioned was the noisy moran my neighbour, who does it noisily above my living room in a Victorian house, just floorboards between us, at any time of day or night, not your good self, who I know for certain would do no such thing, you has a basement, where it disturbs no one, isn’t it? ? it not allus all about thee, tha knows. Just so we’re clear.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Ride to work with a light.  Ride before or after work with a light.  Ride at lunch. Ride on weekends.

Tom

That setup looks too fancy schmancy for me. A LBS offered me a deal on a wahoo kicker but I don't train per se inside. I just ride a trainer to get some miles. I ride w/ a lot of people who use zwift, and I see a crap ton of strava posts already...pansies :P

That looks nice a nice setup though.

17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Ride to work with a light.  Ride before or after work with a light.  Ride at lunch. Ride on weekends.

Tom

It always seems easy to offer advice like this.  I work in Boston, I've ridden here a bunch times, it's terrifying once you get in the city, plus it's 30 miles away.  Before work?  I need to be in the car by 5am, I'd have to get up really early.  At lunch?  Again, I work in Boston.  I have a desk job, I eat at my desk and haven't gone to lunch in 20+ years.  I try to ride on weekends outside.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

It always seems easy to offer advice like this.  I work in Boston, I've ridden here a bunch times, it's terrifying once you get in the city, plus it's 30 miles away.  Before work?  I need to be in the car by 5am, I'd have to get up really early.  At lunch?  Again, I work in Boston.  I have a desk job, I eat at my desk and haven't gone to lunch in 20+ years.  I try to ride on weekends outside.

I agree, that was fucked up advice.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:24 PM, Square Wheels said:

I've ridden in icky weather before, I don't see the purpose.  I end up with a filthy bike, cold toes and fingers, tons more laundry, and a terrible attitude toward riding.  If this gets me on the bike, then I'm good.  I didn't ride my rollers for a while.  I got thrown to the floor a few times, it hurt.  SO I built this.  I rarely touch the sides now, probably a few thousand miles on this setup.  I'll always have railings.

rollers.jpg

I

Nice work. ?