I won't be Thanksgiving without..

Kzoo

We showed the kids this episode of WKRP and I don't think they found it funny. 

Meanwhile they want to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, with Snoopy making popcorn and toast. 

I believe this is indicative of several layers of failure on my part. :(

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Meanwhile they want to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, with Snoopy making popcorn and toast. 

Daughter #2 sat stone-faced through Animule House with me!  That was nuts!

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

While that is Thanksgiving, the funniest Christmas program is Vicar of Dibley, Season 3 "Winter" (or greatest story ever told). Unfortunately episodes are currently part of Britbox and YouTube videos have been deleted so can't see full episode, just a couple 2 minute videos debating if really is the greatest story ever told, but none of the finale in the nativity play or the off the wall auditions for parts in the play.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Daughter #2 sat stone-faced through Animule House with me!  That was nuts!

I'm amazed when the young people in our family don't find things hilarious that older members do.  Or when they don't want to watch something because "It's only black and white."

On the other hand, I remember that by the 1990's, when I was teaching physics and, while teaching about rotational motion, I mentioned a 45 rpm record on a record player and got a room full of blank stares- none of them had ever seen one. When I mentioned having measles as a kid, they all got worried for me and asked how close I was to dying and do I have problems now because of it?

Of course, it used to be every mother's duty to make sure their children caught the measles while they were still kids - when the illness isn't severe as it can be in adulthood. I remember a red rash but not being in any difficulty: I had lots of friends coming over to play because their mothers wanted them to catch the measles from me.

So the kids today are sometimes watching shows that have enough older objects in them that are alien to their world and that probably breaks the "suspension of disbelief" that we trick our minds into in order to enjoy fiction.

It's like when I'd watch movies or TV shows like the old "Boston Public" about schools or schoolteachers where the behavior is so unprofessional that I can't enjoy it. My hospital cancer-research sister is the same about behaviors in medical shows like "House" where she just shakes her head and says, "That would NEVER happen."

Still, it's hard not to laugh at the WKRP Turkey Drop.  But I wonder if the kids find even older shows like Abbott and Costello funny.  I showed our 10 year-old a video of them doing "Who's On First," and he liked it.

51 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

But I wonder if the kids find even older shows like Abbott and Costello funny.  I showed our 10 year-old a video of them doing "Who's On First," and he liked it.

I think that one should pretty easily stand the test of time.  With Animule House, it helps to have been to college - I think she was in high school at the time.

17 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Do kids even understand what a radio station is these days?

• Heart 2