I may have to see someone for my effin shoulder..

petitepedal

It isn't as sore as it was...and I am not wearing the vest...Just now I did a tiny bit to see how 7 pounds felt (the largest weight I have at home)...joint seems good....sometimes I wonder if it is related to the fatty tumor bump on my upper arm...but that doesn't explain the pain for a camelbak or vest :dontknow:  :(  I hate jumping hoops and paying big $$$$ and still not fixing the problem...  Tonight after the bored meeting...after I put back 2 eight foot tables..I made a quick move to dodge one of the board members (kinda like playing tag) and it pulled and hurt..DANG IT!!! I just want to work through it!!.

• Sad 1

...I have generally had better luck with stretching, resting, and working through a series of range of motion type exercises for something like that. As opposed to continuing to lift weights and working through it.  I do a lot of "cloud hands" for this very reason.

Page is right.  All of my PT for the rotator cuff is light weight (2.5 lbs per hand at most) range of motion stuff with some specific arm angles and rotations.  I'm not allowed to "push past pain" but rather to limit the motion to the pain free portion.  

Every time you hurt it again, it gets worse and takes longer to work around.

The PT does seem to be making an improvement however..........slowly.

You have a ton of small muscles in your shoulder and core. If you didn't grow up using them, you don't know how. That's something you will need to learn.

The weight vest appears to be interfering with your movement, this is quite common. You need to lay off the vest, possibly permanently...

Stretching is going to be part of the deal. I've been thinking of taking tai chi or yoga. I've been doing a little stretching, but if I am not in a structured setting, I don't do much.

Do you have soft cooler paks? When it hurts, ice it, and ice it good.

You will also likely have tightness in some of the muscles of your shoulders (and upper back). A good PT will work on those, but a sports masseuse can also do that.

I might post some videos later, see how the day goes.

For rotator cuff, PT best. During workout on stationary bike, I also use light 2 lb weights for upper exercise. Medication wise, ibuprofen. Also found the small Salonpas patch very effective in evening plus trying not to sleep on right side.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Page is right.  All of my PT for the rotator cuff is light weight (2.5 lbs per hand at most) range of motion stuff with some specific arm angles and rotations.  I'm not allowed to "push past pain" but rather to limit the motion to the pain free portion.  

Every time you hurt it again, it gets worse and takes longer to work around.

I need a plan.  Left shoulder bothers me from time to time.  Like last night when I spent a couple hours ripping shingles off a shed.  I could tell I wasn't doing the shoulder an favors.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

...the shoulder seem to be an area that is incredibly slow to rehabilitate.  Glad to hear you are progressing. :) I woke up this morning with something going on in the left.  You know you're old when you can hurt yourself while you're asleep. :( 

I'll be cloud handing a lot today. The other thing that helps me is to just hang from an overhead bar for a couple of minutes (hands opening forward direction), drop down, repeat a couple of times. No pullups, just hang there.

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I use a camelbak I can give up a vest but not the camelbak...I see the doc my trainer suggested on Friday morning. 

That may not be a problem, if it doesn't restrict movement, you're good to go.

Why it happens
Lifting your arms over your head—when painting walls, for example, or playing tennis—puts you at risk. Sleeping with your arm over your head and carrying heavy bags on your shoulder can also cause rotator cuff problems. Mild cases can improve within weeks, but it may take months for people with severe pain to feel better. "Don't lift your arm repeatedly until things settle down," advises orthopedist Eric Ricchetti, MD, of the Cleveland Clinic.

1.  learn to sleep on the other side.

2. learn to do some of the shoulder stretches and exercises that work the other shoulder tendons and muscles so that they can take up the strain on the one that's hurting.  A physical therapist will be of great help while you're learning.

3.  More than half of all rotator cuff problems are age related.  They just happen.

I'd get it checked out by a good shoulder guy.

I had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, over a decade apart, and the one I waited before getting it taken care of meant a much longer recovery time.

My right shoulder was giving me trouble at the same time I was working full time and coaching high school varsity sports. I got it taken care of without waiting for it to heal in the early 2000's. It was relatively minor surgery and healed fast.

My left shoulder that was operated on in 2017 was giving me trouble off an on for a few years - it's theme song was Dion Warwick's "There's always something there to remind me."

Finally, it turned out the supraspinatus tendon that goes over the shoulder and joins the upper armbone, was torn but only in the back, so most activities didn't stress it unless significant force on it was involved.

But, but hoping it would work itself out after 2014-15 physical therapy and not hurting most of the time, it was 40% torn by the time a great doctor (minor league baseball team physician who has worked on major league pitchers) found the problem, had to totally remove the tendon from the arm, put 2 screws into my upper armbone and used 10 permanent stitches to rejoin the supraspinatus back to the armbone, lower and more thickly than before.

The operation was in June 2017 and I wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 pounds with my left arm until 2019.  It's fine now and hopefully will stay that way, but it was a long recovery.

So you want to avoid letting it go and possibly have to let something like this heal:

Here are some of the permanent (blue) stitches.  the 2nd or right picture shows the 6 knots on one, which holds the tendon onto a ceramic screw on the other side of the white tendon that has 5 eyelets and holds 5 stitches. All10 stitches. had 6 knots  They sometimes felt like pins sticking into my skin from inside my arm but eventually scar tissue pushed them over a little and grew over them, so I don't feel them anymore.

571535081_!SurgeryCarnerasutures500p.jpg.ef2b7426b731ba51d5c90ae15103a539.jpg670654588_Stitches1cropped.jpg.95624fa0dfc8569b4a94efb01c2b237c.jpg

!!!Surgery Carnera 1 iof 2 orig 900p.jpg

!!!Surgery Carnera 2 iof 2 orig 900p.jpg

IMG_20170623_102927 sml.jpg

• Awesome 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:57 PM, Further said:

Hey Mick, you might want edit those pics.....

Thanks for the advice. I didn't intend to post the last three, but forget to throw them in the trashcan after I loaded them in to see if I needed them. The name and date of birth they could get from Facebook and the other two numbers have nothing to do with insurance or anything so I think I'm ok.