Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zackny

Got wood?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Now you need a shed that holds 25 tons.🤭

I’ll stack it outside for the summer then it goes into the shed. This plus what is currently in the shed will probably last two winters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Longjohn said:

What did you haul that in? That little truck in the picture would have to make a lot of trips.

I cut it out of our woods. Some I skid up tree length and some I block up in the woods then put it on a trailer behind the tractor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m tired just looking at that pile. What did you use to split it? Did you just split it yesterday or did you cut and haul and split it all in one day? However you did it it’s srill a lot of hard work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was young and the Maintenance Supervisor at a large retreat center/summer camp we would have races which two man team could split wood faster. The team using our hydraulic log splitter or the team using the maul of their choice. I could run rings around the hydraulic splitter with my 25 pound monster maul. It wears me out now very quickly when I use it, I mostly use a lighter one now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I was young and the Maintenance Supervisor at a large retreat center/summer camp we would have races which two man team could split wood faster. The team using our hydraulic log splitter or the team using the maul of their choice. I could run rings around the hydraulic splitter with my 25 pound monster maul. It wears me out now very quickly when I use it, I mostly use a lighter one now.

I still plot some by hand. We have a grove of locust at the other end of the property. Every fall I cut 2-3 cords of dead standing trees and those I split by hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any one remember that splitter gizmo that looked like a threaded cone that you put on your truck axle, with the truck jacked up, ran the truck to spin the thing, and rammed the firewood into it ?

Looked like a disaster ready to happen. Was about the same time as lawn darts.   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Further said:

Any one remember that splitter gizmo that looked like a threaded cone that you put on your truck axle, with the truck jacked up, ran the truck to spin the thing, and rammed the firewood into it ?

Looked like a disaster ready to happen. Was about the same time as lawn darts.   :D

That was the fastest log splitter ever. All the rednecks on the mountain used those. They would laugh at people spending money on hydraulic splitters. They said heck everyone I know has at least one old truck sitting in their yard anyway, might as well put it to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

He said he rented a splitter for $50 a day, believe me he got exercise.

I've got a bunch of wood to split manually too.  It means I've been doing it by hand but I think it's time I rent a splitter.  It's just like riding an e-bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nice truck.  What year is it?  I am guessing a 2014?  That's what mine is.

It is a 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, Longjohn said:

When I was young and the Maintenance Supervisor at a large retreat center/summer camp we would have races which two man team could split wood faster. The team using our hydraulic log splitter or the team using the maul of their choice. I could run rings around the hydraulic splitter with my 25 pound monster maul. It wears me out now very quickly when I use it, I mostly use a lighter one now.

25 lbs? Wimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I just hope that stuff gets stacked and out of my way before I mow or I’m going to be pissed.

Had you ever shown up to mow you would know that’s in an area that doesn’t get mowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Had you ever shown up to mow you would know that’s in an area that doesn’t get mowed. 

Kazabooboo is an excellent no shower 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...