Tracking your every move

maddmaxx

no...I assume they are going to use them for nefarious purposes at some point

like drive too slow? reflexes are slowing down...raise rates

Drive too fast? Reckless raise rates

drive with seatbelt off? raise rates

It's difficult to see a way for them to lower rates. 

I believe I can tell when other drivers have one. They are the cars that drag you onto the highway at 35mph because they won't accelerate hard and there you are behind them looking in your mirror at the tractor trailer rig coming up behind you at 70.

IMO they actually promote unsafe ninny driving.

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I remember years ago when GEICO was going to cancel car insurance for anyone having a radar detector in their car. I switched to a new company.

Insurance companies get some goofy ideas. I had an insurance company looking at my property without my knowledge. They sent me a letter that I had to move a pile of concrete blocks and a canoe from in front of my garage or they were going to cancel my insurance. I called them the next day and told them not to bother, they are no longer my insurance company.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

30 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Nope. we don't like being tracked.  Reason we drag our feet on getting aps, etc. 

And yet, you are here! :D

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Does anyone here have an insurance company provided auto data tracker in their car in an attempt to get a lower rate?

It will be interesting to see if the insurance companies are currently, or will in the near future, simply track users by their cell phones or their cars' on-board networking.  It wouldn't be hard for Geico or All State or whoever to cut a deal with Google to get a constant feed of individual's movements that are already collected.  They'd know your driving habits and not have to bother even having you install some doodad. Surely the folks who install the doodad are the less likely group they need to consider dropping as customers.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And yet, you are here! :D

It will be interesting to see if the insurance companies are currently, or will in the near future, simply track users by their cell phones or their cars' on-board networking.  It wouldn't be hard for Geico or All State or whoever to cut a deal with Google to get a constant feed of individual's movements that are already collected.  They'd know your driving habits and not have to bother even having you install some doodad. Surely the folks who install the doodad are the less likely group they need to consider dropping as customers.

How would you react if it was the government tracking your phone and the numbers that you call.  Will you give that to a company that can sell your data?  I don't want to go down the political path, just pointing out that these companies do not have your best interests at heart.

I'm learning to hate the "don't mess with my discount" commercials as I see the companies attempting a brain wash on JQ Public.

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

How would you react if it was the government tracking your phone and the numbers that you call.  Will you give that to a company that can sell your data?  I don't want to go down the political path, just pointing out that these companies do not have your best interests at heart.

I'm learning to hate the "don't mess with my discount" commercials as I see the companies attempting a brain wash on JQ Public. 

Already being done. I'm pretty sure I have posted here many, many times about government and corporate surveillance and the future of "privacy" and abuse.

A recent Intelligent post was this one.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm still waiting for my flying car.  I guess that dream has been replaced by this one. 

I see driverless cars almost every day.  It's here. Unless someone outlaws the future, Tesla won't be the only one doing it soon.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I see driverless cars almost every day.  It's here. Unless someone outlaws the future, Tesla won't be the only one doing it soon.

Cease and desist.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-08-07/tesla-nhtsa-model-3-safety  It is not, nor is any other experimental car a driverless car.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Cease and desist.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-08-07/tesla-nhtsa-model-3-safety  It is not, nor is any other experimental car a driverless car. 

Yep. Dig in deep on the future not having driverless cars, nor cars that currently drive themselves.  This isn't sci-fi or the "flying cars canard". It's happening now and will continue to accelerate as these companies get it perfected. I didn't see it coming this quickly either, but at least I'm not pretending it isn't happening.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep. Dig in deep on the future not having driverless cars, nor cars that currently drive themselves.  This isn't sci-fi or the "flying cars canard". It's happening now and will continue to accelerate as these companies get it perfected. I didn't see it coming this quickly either, but at least I'm not pretending it isn't happening.

It's happening all right.  Even Uber has had a killer self driving car.  Personally I'd rather see more commuter systems than more individual travel capsules with or without driver.  Cars make no sense in urban areas.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

It's happening all right.  Even Uber has had a killer self driving car.

If you are stating that deaths from Autopilot or other driverless tech will STOP or even greatly SLOW the adoption of driverless cars, you are most assuredly mistaken.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If you are stating that deaths from Autopilot or other driverless tech will STOP or even greatly SLOW the adoption of driverless cars, you are most assuredly mistaken.

Toyota and Uber halted (temporarily) their programs over that Uber death of a ped.

You see, individual drivers being held responsible is one thing.  Major companies suffering lawsuits for wrongful death by their products is a much bigger deal.