Crock pot death

Dirtyhip

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bought a crock at a garage sale for $4, 10 years ago. 

It has made enormous amounts of good food.  There has been a crack at the bottom that is spreading.  The crack has finally started showing through the bottom of the ceramic.  It's time to toss it.  I am so sad.   

My mom gave me a crock pot 20 years ago, one that she probably had for 20 years.  It still works like a champ but I don’t use it often as it doesn’t have a removable dish so is a PITA to clean.  

They aren’t that expensive and if you can hold out for Black Friday you can often find them heavily discounted.  I got my current one for $15 During a Black Friday sale.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You bring a crock pot?  I thought I was bad for bringing a blender.

Yep.  One of our go-to meals is chicken tacos.  Add chicken, seasonings and broth.  Cook all day.  Come home and hitch up the camper and grab the crock pot, shred chicken and throw it in the back of the truck.  When you get there you set up camp, grab a cold beer and eat some warm tacos that are already cooked.

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You'd have to run the generator all day.  

you forget, we are plugged in to shore power most of the time.  Crock pot is great for fall camping.  Can keep warm drinks (mulled wine) warm all day.  We routinely will have a soup bar where everyone makes soups, chili, chicken and dumplins... we just leave in crock pot all day and everyone can come and go as they please.  

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I saw an insta pot that was a crock, a pressure cooker and a yogurt maker.  I think it is a steamer too.

Seems decent.  If the yogurt option works well enough, I could just make my own on the reg.

My wife and kids love it.  Say its the best yogurt EVAR.

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yep.  One of our go-to meals is chicken tacos.  Add chicken, seasonings and broth.  Cook all day.  Come home and hitch up the camper and grab the crock pot, shred chicken and throw it in the back of the truck.  When you get there you set up camp, grab a cold beer and eat some warm tacos that are already cooked.

you forget, we are plugged in to shore power most of the time.  Crock pot is great for fall camping.  Can keep warm drinks (mulled wine) warm all day.  We routinely will have a soup bar where everyone makes soups, chili, chicken and dumplins... we just leave in crock pot all day and everyone can come and go as they please.  

right.  I forget.  

We almost always boondock in the forest.  There are many options for that in the western states.

• Heart 1

My slow cooker will never do that.

GUEST_c4b87922-881e-47fd-a4b4-b59d8a36a2

I love this style because they are so simple to clean up, you can use the metal pot on the stove if you have something that needs sauteed onions or brown meat first.  So much better than just a crock pot.

We have an insta pot that also crocks, but haven't used it for a crock pot yet.  We probably will in the camper.  The instapot goes with us cause it cooks real quick.  Prep meals at home, drop it in the pot and relax.  We'll also plug the crock pot into an inverter and cook while we're on our way to the next campground.

34 minutes ago, Indy said:

My slow cooker will never do that.

GUEST_c4b87922-881e-47fd-a4b4-b59d8a36a2

I love this style because they are so simple to clean up, you can use the metal pot on the stove if you have something that needs sauteed onions or brown meat first.  So much better than just a crock pot.

I quite like that.  Simple. I love metals.

I bet I could still do yogurt on the low setting. 

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This is us?  TV show?  Never heard of it or watched.  

We don't have any channels, only Netflix.  With Netflix, you tend to get stuck in your familiar patterns and reruns.

I can watch 'The Office" and "Park and Rec." forever it seems.  LOL  I did like the Amy Winehouse doc they had done on her. 

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is us?  TV show?  Never heard of it or watched.  

We don't have any channels, only Netflix.  With Netflix, you tend to get stuck in your familiar patterns and reruns.

I can watch 'The Office" and "Park and Rec." forever it seems.  LOL  I did like the Amy Winehouse doc they had done on her. 

This Is Us is a chick show I think, so I thought you might know it.  I was wrong.  I have never watched it either.

We bought an InstaPot and kicked the ancient crockpot to the curb. The instapot works as a slow cooker but also as a smart pressure cooker; speeds up the cooking time a lot. Dried beans are cooked in about an hour with no overnight soak. I haven’t made yogurt yet but it is on my list of things to try. The instapot can also be a steamer and a rice cooker. Very versatile. 

45 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

We bought an InstaPot and kicked the ancient crockpot to the curb. The instapot works as a slow cooker but also as a smart pressure cooker; speeds up the cooking time a lot. Dried beans are cooked in about an hour with no overnight soak. I haven’t made yogurt yet but it is on my list of things to try. The instapot can also be a steamer and a rice cooker. Very versatile. 

We have one of those instant pot things, and the very first crockpot, the original model from the 70s.

We use the crockpot more often.

But I don't see this as an either/or situation. Having both is handy. The only thing with crockpots is check the rewviews carefully, most of the new ones run too hot.

You still want to soak the beans overnite, it neutralises something that's bad for you.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I quite like that.  Simple. I love metals.

I bet I could still do yogurt on the low setting. 

The problem with those is they only heat the bottom, and don't spread heat around like a crock.  It's like leaving your stew on the stove all day.  Better off with a Dutch Oven

19 hours ago, 12string said:

Better off with a Dutch Oven

It's always warm in the Dutch Oven.....

21 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

right.  I forget.  

We almost always boondock in the forest.  There are many options for that in the western states.

I wish that there were more places to do that around here.  I would like to try it.