Wind

maddmaxx

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Big storm finishes with some of you tomorrow and arrives here.  Heavy rain and 60mph wind gusts will raise hell with the tent hospitals.  CT is over 12,000 cases now with 500+ deaths and the overflow may not be able to be housed there.

I’m going to pray that the winds avoid the tent hospitals and whatever wind does come will bring healing.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Yes , and  Jim is kind of slacking on weather forecasts

I’m predicting 73 mph gusts in my county Niagara and 68 In Monroe County NY. Had a long talk about contingency plans for my parents in St Lawrence County. They may hit 70 mph, too.  My Dad’s on oxygen (electric powered) and doesn’t have a generator. He has a 24 hour hour supply of cylinders and a rechargeable portable oxygen generator. The Electric company knows he is high risk. He should be Ok. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Stripping off the old shingles is the hardest part of getting a new roof. That guy is smart, he lets the wind remove the old roof and the insurance pay for the new roof.

The insurance companies here prorate the roof per year of warranty.  He will owe them money!  :) 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The insurance companies here prorate the roof per year of warranty.  He will owe them money!  :) 

After the tornado in 1985 ripped off a bunch of my shingles and made the roof leak down into the kitchen I didn’t even call the insurance company. The roof was very old and was installed over two previous layers. I went out and bought material to re-do the roof. My wife called the insurance company and they sent out an adjuster. They wrote us a check. I told them I didn’t call because my roof was so old. He said it wasn’t leaking before the tornado.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

After the tornado in 1985 ripped off a bunch of my shingles and made the roof leak down into the kitchen I didn’t even call the insurance company. The roof was very old and was installed over two previous layers. I went out and bought material to re-do the roof. My wife called the insurance company and they sent out an adjuster. They wrote us a check. I told them I didn’t call because my roof was so old. He said it wasn’t leaking before the tornado.

I had mine damaged by a storm.  The insurance company offered me 8% which was less than the deductible.   

20 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm not so worried about the shingles as I am about a tree coming through it.

The insurance should cover that. A guy about three miles up the road had a rotten tree limb sticking out over his house. It bothered me seeing it because I could tell it was going to crash down onto his roof. I told my wife he must be waiting for it to crash so insurance would pay. Tree service is very expensive. Sure enough, it fell on his house. They removed the branch (big branch, 24” diameter poked through the roof), repaired the roof and cut down the tree.

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The insurance should cover that. A guy about three miles up the road had a rotten tree limb sticking out over his house. It bothered me seeing it because I could tell it was going to crash down onto his roof. I told my wife he must be waiting for it to crash so insurance would pay. Tree service is very expensive. Sure enough, it fell on his house. They removed the branch (big branch, 24” diameter poked through the roof), repaired the roof and cut down the tree.

Saul good as long as your bed isn't in the path of the tree

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Further said:

When I was young I loved wind, loved hearing it howl, feeling the house shake, it was an adventure.

Now it scares me and is a pain in the ass when I have to pick up all crap it blew around, and repair the stuff it broke.

In the summertime after a storm I have to go round up all the pool floaties. I have found them as far away as the neighbor’s corn field.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

In the summertime after a storm I have to go round up all the pool floaties. I have found them as far away as the neighbor’s corn field.

Speaking of pool furniture, my friends in FL throw the stuff in the pool when they expect a hurricane.  It doesn't blow away from underwater.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The wind just started here. It’s howling like crazy.

It looks like it will be 12 hours here from 8am to 8pm with predicted winds (steady state?) in the mid 30s and gusts much higher.  One of our weather guessers thought we might see 70 near the coast.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It looks like it will be 12 hours here from 8am to 8pm with predicted winds (steady state?) in the mid 30s and gusts much higher.  One of our weather guessers thought we might see 70 near the coast.

I’m seeing peak wind force this morning, and again at 2 pm, lasting all night. We won’t get much where I live, 10-20 mph, but it will be howling in Erie. 

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's fortunate that we don't have leaves on the trees yet.  The one that worries me the most however is a large pine behind my property that has been hollowed out significantly by one or more Pileated Woodpeckers.  That's the one that could take out my he shed.

One of our premier shed builders is laid off. Owl bet she could rebuild it for you and add a loft and a front porch. Travel would be the hardest part right now with the country shut down.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Big storm finishes with some of you tomorrow and arrives here.  Heavy rain and 60mph wind gusts will raise hell with the tent hospitals.  CT is over 12,000 cases now with 500+ deaths and the overflow may not be able to be housed there.

We have 10,411 cases and 511 deaths here.

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

CT is over 12,000 cases now with 500+ deaths

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

We have 10,411 cases and 511 deaths here.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We have 22,833 cases and 507 deaths, until noon today when it updates.

Ugly.  It looks like our death rate per positives is the worst so far.  I hope the rest of you don't see the same slope -- though I'm more concerned about Prophet's potential.  

57 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's fortunate that we don't have leaves on the trees yet.  The one that worries me the most however is a large pine behind my property that has been hollowed out significantly by one or more Pileated Woodpeckers.  That's the one that could take out my he shed.

Not the he shed!!! Fingers crossed for its survival.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

Not the he shed!!! Fingers crossed for its survival.

I wouldn't mind having the shed replaced by insurance but my almost new John Deere is in there along with the snow blower and several other tools.  I purchased the Deere late last year and it only has 8 hours run time.  In fact, the next chore is the breakin oil change.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I’m predicting 73 mph gusts in my county Niagara and 68 In Monroe County NY. Had a long talk about contingency plans for my parents in St Lawrence County. They may hit 70 mph, too.  My Dad’s on oxygen (electric powered) and doesn’t have a generator. He has a 24 hour hour supply of cylinders and a rechargeable portable oxygen generator. The Electric company knows he is high risk. He should be Ok. 

Update: Take 10 mph off these numbers. Damn models.