Things we should be curious about but aren't

MickinMD

To stimulate thinking about things around them, I would ask my Honors Chemistry and Physics students.  "The first day of our week is Sunday and it's named after...?"

They'd all reply, "The Sun."

I'd then ask, "So, since the next day of the week is named after the Moon, we call it...?"  There'd be a sudden awkward silence as these kids realized it should be "Moonday" but it isn't.

It's funny how we don't look deeper into everyday things.

I also asked my students if any of them ever traveled along "WB&A Boulevard."  Half of them did and some said they lived near it.

"So what does W, B, and A stand for?"

No one knew!  The answer is Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis - it's the remaining stretch of an old highway.

Actually, I got it ass-backward about Moonday.  It turns out the Moon was the "Mone" in old English, pronounced closer to "Mon" and the day of the week kept that pronunciation as did the word "month" but the Mone became "Moon" for some reason.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

To stimulate thinking about things around them, I would ask my Honors Chemistry and Physics students.  "The first day of our week is Sunday and it's named after...?"

They'd all reply, "The Sun."

I'd then ask, "So, since the next day of the week is named after the Moon, we call it...?"  There'd be a sudden awkward silence as these kids realized it should be "Moonday" but it isn't.

It's funny how we don't look deeper into everyday things.

I also asked my students if any of them ever traveled along "WB&A Boulevard."  Half of them did and some said they lived near it.

"So what does W, B, and A stand for?"

No one knew!  The answer is Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis - it's the remaining stretch of an old highway.

Actually, I got it ass-backward about Moonday.  It turns out the Moon was the "Mone" in old English, pronounced closer to "Mon" and the day of the week kept that pronunciation as did the word "month" but the Mone became "Moon" for some reason.

So why is it Tuesday?

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Monday is the first day of the week, I don't care what anyone says.  The weekend is the end of the week, and Sunday is the last day of the weekend.

How do your bookends work???? You put them both on one side???  Seems weird to me, but, hey, you do you.

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I would have expected it to have been a rail line. 

Or a future MAGLEV!!!!!

Baltimore-Washington Rapid Rail and the Northeast Maglev

In 2015, Baltimore-Washington Rapid Rail (BWRR) announced that the Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) approved BWRR's application to acquire a passenger railroad franchise previously held by the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad Company. BWRR and the Northeast Maglev are working to deploy a Superconducting Maglev (SCMAGLEV) system that would connect Washington and Baltimore in 15 minutes.[18] The Northeast Maglev is currently working with the Federal Railroad Administration and Maryland Department of Transportation, the project sponsor, to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed superconducting maglev system.[19]

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Or a future MAGLEV!!!!!

Baltimore-Washington Rapid Rail and the Northeast Maglev

In 2015, Baltimore-Washington Rapid Rail (BWRR) announced that the Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) approved BWRR's application to acquire a passenger railroad franchise previously held by the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railroad Company. BWRR and the Northeast Maglev are working to deploy a Superconducting Maglev (SCMAGLEV) system that would connect Washington and Baltimore in 15 minutes.[18] The Northeast Maglev is currently working with the Federal Railroad Administration and Maryland Department of Transportation, the project sponsor, to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed superconducting maglev system.[19]

That would be cool. I remember when the idea of high speed train lines was still “a thing” within the Federal government. I really wanted Pittsburgh to Chicago or Philly in two hours. It would have been awesome to have achieved that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You broke what was not broke, you clock adjuster, you!

Seriously, the first day of the week is Monday, why would it be otherwise?  Don't say "Because some dickskin or other told me so", you Californian flushable wipe!

Hey, I'm not the commie here!  YOU, comrade, need to explain yourself.

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

That would be cool. I remember when the idea of high speed train lines was still “a thing” within the Federal government. I really wanted Pittsburgh to Chicago or Philly in two hours. It would have been awesome to have achieved that.

While reducing fuel consumption (electric trains???) and totally ruining the airline industry???? WTF kind of sicko would want that????

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

While reducing fuel consumption (electric trains???) and totally ruining the airline industry???? WTF kind of sicko would want that????

But think of the economic stimulus a day trip to a different city would be, all without the hassles of air travel. Post-Covid, of course. But an morning train to Chicago, or Philly, NY, Washington, etc, an afternoon of shopping, cultural events, dining, then a night train home (or even next day). Downtown train stations, no need for rental cars.... Would be cool. Instead, it’s faster to take a bus than a train to any of these locations, unless you’re on the NE Amtrak line.

19 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But think of the economic stimulus a day trip to a different city would be, all without the hassles of air travel. Post-Covid, of course. But an morning train to Chicago, or Philly, NY, Washington, etc, an afternoon of shopping, cultural events, dining, then a night train home (or even next day). Downtown train stations, no need for rental cars.... Would be cool. Instead, it’s faster to take a bus than a train to any of these locations, unless you’re on the NE Amtrak line.

You missed my sarcasm :(  Trains are things used by commie nations like France, China, or Japan.  We use PLANES that run on jet fuel!!!  Take your fancy pinko ideas up north to CAnada.

Was that better?

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Move closer.  I can take the morning train from Kamamazoo to Chicago and catch the 10:00pm train back

So who was Tuesday named after?  Tuesday Weld?

OK, so this did not help much, if any!

Etymology

The name Tuesday derives from the Old English Tiwesdæg and literally means "Tiw's Day".[1] Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Old Norse. *Tîwaz derives from the Proto-Indo-European base *dei-, *deyā-, *dīdyā-, meaning 'to shine', whence comes also such words as "deity".[2]

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

OK, so this did not help much, if any!

Etymology

The name Tuesday derives from the Old English Tiwesdæg and literally means "Tiw's Day".[1] Tiw is the Old English form of the Proto-Germanic god *Tîwaz, or Týr in Old Norse. *Tîwaz derives from the Proto-Indo-European base *dei-, *deyā-, *dīdyā-, meaning 'to shine', whence comes also such words as "deity".[2]

That was useless...

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Tuesday, believe it or not, comes from being the second day of the week, or Two's day.  It's spelled Tuesday because 'Tue' is how the Druids spelled 'two' and the Druidian spelling fit better with Thursday, which in its own turn is a derivative of 'Thor's day'.

30 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Tuesday, believe it or not, comes from being the second day of the week, or Two's day.  It's spelled Tuesday because 'Tue' is how the Druids spelled 'two' and the Druidian spelling fit better with Thursday, which in its own turn is a derivative of 'Thor's day'.

You just made that up.  :)