PNW Heatwave

BuffJim

45 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Fixing to be pretty hot this weekend in Seattle Portland, BC,Alberta. 

Warning for @Dottles @Scrapr @Dirtyhip @shootingstar @Zephyr @sheep_herderProbably forgetting someone. 

BC might hit 37 degrees. They are rarely above freezing, even in summer. Normal highs 20-28 degrees in summer.

Be careful out there:runcirclsmiley:

We're use to temperature of 100+F, but normally not this early in the summer. We are at 2,200 feet elevation in the Northern Great Plains.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

BC might hit 37 degrees. They are rarely above freezing, even in summer. Normal highs 20-28 degrees in summer.

This is incorrect.  You may be confused, because the numbers you quote are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

There are palm trees on our city, I have a lemon tree in my backyard.  

It will be warmer than normal, but we get a week of 30s (90sF) every summer

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

This is incorrect.  You may be confused, because the numbers you quote are in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

You didn’t see my comedy font?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

We're use to temperature of 100+F, but normally not this early in the summer. We are at 2,200 feet elevation in the Northern Great Plains.

We are at higher elevation by well over 1,000 ft. more than Vancouver...though it doesn't seem initially on the prairies.  There is a difference when cycling  often in our city and then going to Vancovuer, wondering why cycling a hill was ok when I wasn't cycling super long distances or not cycling every single day in prairie city.  Athletes sometimes come to our area to train...lung power development...even the scenery in city isn't as pretty as Vancouver unless they live and train in Rockies, which some do if serious for international competitions.

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

For Calgary to be at 35 degrees C and more, is unusual. Even long time locals attest to this.  It is a much drier heat in prairies where I panic abit if I forget my water bottle.  The heat next wk. we'll get is more Drumheller (badlands) or Medicine Hat summer heat.  Calgary summers are often fine (now if there was more tree cover in areas...) Vancouver area has some more humidity. But not as horrible sticky humid hot, as southern Ontario.

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Warning for @Dottles @Scrapr @Dirtyhip @shootingstar @Zephyr @sheep_herderProbably forgetting someone. 

Are @Scrapr, @shootingstar, and @Zephyr in PNW or more the Pacific Southwest? 

For the city where I live, it's on the other side of the Rockies...it is the prairies.  Geographically, psychologically and historically, Alberta is in the prairies...even though we have 2 major beautiful mountain national parks.  We have alot of rangeland, grassland and the skies are often brilliant blue, endless. 

Just now, shootingstar said:

For the city where I live, it's on the other side of the Rockies...it is the prairies.  Geographically, psychologically and historically, Alberta is in the prairies...even though we have 2 major beautiful mountain national parks.  We have alot of rangeland, grassland and the skies are often brilliant blue, endless. 

So are you the Prairie Mid-West?  PMW???  South Mid-West (SMW)???

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

We’ve never hit triple digits in recorded history- around 150 years- in Buffalo. 

150 years seems like a short time for a place like Buffalo. I would have guessed 200 years!

But how do we know they were accurate back then????

13 hours ago, BuffJim said:

PNW is a US geographic region.   BC is the Cordillera Region.  Calgary sits on the border of Cordillera and The Interior Plains.  We just call it "The West Coast" and "The Prairies". 

• Heart 2

On 6/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, BuffJim said:

6 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

You people stink at panicking. 

Why would we panic over cold and even freezing weather in CAnada??? Those folks know how to handle the cold!

Now, if we were talking about extreme heat - say approaching 100o, THEN we would panic.  Those snowflakes are gonna MELT!

• Heart 1

I was just thinking about this, as it sure looks like the west, especially southwest, has entered an unstoppable spiral.  Everything - drought, fires, heat - all make each other worse.  Until it becomes a desert.  It's appearing inevitable that the entire southeast will become another Sahara.

So then where do we get our food?

Right now, 40% of our corn crop is used to make ethanol.  So, we take almost as much energy as we make to create an excuse to continue burning fossil fuel and turning farms o deserts. 

Get moving on renewable energy, drop the corn for ethanol, use that land to replace the crops lost in California.  A win-win.

And maybe we'll also figure out that all the energy it takes to make a desert liveable also contributes to making more deserts.  Time for mass migrations.

7 minutes ago, 12string said:

I was just thinking about this, as it sure looks like the west, especially southwest, has entered an unstoppable spiral.  Everything - drought, fires, heat - all make each other worse.  Until it becomes a desert.  It's appearing inevitable that the entire southeast will become another Sahara.

Right now, 40% of our corn crop is used to make ethanol.  So, we take almost as much energy as we make to create an excuse to continue burning fossil fuel and turning farms o deserts. 

Get moving on renewable energy, drop the corn for ethanol, use that land to replace the crops lost in California.  A win-win.

And maybe we'll also figure out that all the energy it takes to make a desert liveable also contributes to making more deserts.  Time for mass migrations.

Or...leave it for your grand kids to sort out.  I like that game plan better, and it costs me less.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, 12string said:

Meanwhile, we continue to loose good farmland in NJ to warehouses. :(

The ethanol shit is beyond stoopid.  We politicians suck.

:angry:

@Scrapr & Sara with an H are still alive. We stayed inside most of the day. It was about 111 today & forecast 113 Monday. A cool marine breeze supposed to come in Monday evening. Dogs wanted out at the hottest part of the day. That was a short walk. Tried to keep the dogs on the grass as much as possible. 

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Lobbying and poor choices by government have consequences too.  Usually bigger ones. 

Of which you can do both.  You can lobby and you can join gov't.  Our country is far from "hands off" regarding access to power.

21 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

What aboot when your grandkids are in charge of your care?

I'm passing the costs to YOUR grandkids.  I got none, so I am golden that way.  Pile up the future costs for those lazy kids.

Heat wave broke last night in Portland area. A marine flow came in about 8:00 pm and temp dropped about 30-40 degrees in about 2 hours. We walked the dogs at about 10 pm & it was glorius. It was like Tim Robbins in Shawshank. Only going to be 91 here today. We were getting stir crazy stuck in the house

image.jpeg.d4abea97d2378b6ffe0af1d4c035a630.jpeg

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1