-12 pounds in two months

Dirtyhip

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Solumedrol (prednasone) did a number on me.  I stuffed my face too much and gained.  I put hard focus on it in August, and I am on my way.  Another five or so, and I am about back to ideal weight.  

I am hungry.  Anyone have a cupcake?  ;)  

Meds definitely have side effects :(  I'd be happy if "weight gain" (in moderation) was the worst of them.  Good work putting attention to health -w ith both the best meds AND trying to stay "fit".  It isn't an easy battle, but you're one of the folks I don't worry too much about tackling these sorts of things.  Tough but pragmatic, and a doer not a complainer. :D

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Meds definitely have side effects :(  I'd be happy if "weight gain" (in moderation) was the worst of them.  Good work putting attention to health -w ith both the best meds AND trying to stay "fit".  It isn't an easy battle, but you're one of the folks I don't worry too much about tackling these sorts of things.  Tough but pragmatic, and a doer not a complainer. :D

Spoiler

I fucking hate MS.  I really fucking hate that fucker!  :angry:  I operate at a high level when fueled by rage. :nodhead:

Thank you for the words and especially for making me look up the word pragmatic.  I will be using that in my vocab over the next month. 

Seems like a slghtly diffucult word to fit in a conversation.  :D

I slipped in a verse from Alanis recently.  "This place gives you 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife."  

• Hugs 2

Congrats.  Although I'd certainly not suggest that you beat yourself up over side effects from a necessary medicine (because the main focus is on the primary issue), it's wonderful that you've been able to address this if it's bothering you and get to a place and weight where you feel happy.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you for the words

It's funny - the women here in the Cafe are all the "level-headed" types not prone to really any drama.  Sure, @petitepedal car buying stuff was nuts, but now she's totally low key in that regard.  It's like grade school all over - the boys are all maniacs, and the girls make them look like a bunch of nincompoops :D Too funny.  The Cafe Women are awesome!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Seems like a slghtly diffucult word to fit in a conversation.  :D

Use it instead of the word realistic, workable, or fact-based to describe a solution or approach, or a person who is realistic and has a workable approach. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was doing good on my weight gain until the September bike challenge when I rode a lot of miles and spent a lot of time with GF and we didn’t eat as much as I usually do. Down 12#.

Down 12 from the goal, or down 12 from where you had gotten and even further from the goal?

Surprising to some, riding a bunch and not eating a lot can have a serious impact on weight gain.  I was thinking the other day that if I didn't ride, I'd be in trouble!

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's funny - the women here in the Cafe are all the "level-headed" types not prone to really any drama.  Sure, @petitepedal car buying stuff was nuts, but now she's totally low key in that regard.  It's like grade school all over - the boys are all maniacs, and the girls make them look like a bunch of nincompoops :D Too funny.  The Cafe Women are awesome!

You want drama?  

• Step on my plants
  • toss my white tea towels in with the darks
  • pull the blankets off my feet
  • <insert other ridiculous trivial thing that bugs me>

:D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Solumedrol (prednasone) did a number on me.  I stuffed my face too much and gained.  I put hard focus on it in August, and I am on my way.  Another five or so, and I am about back to ideal weight.  

Daniel Cormier Dancing GIF by UFC

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Down 12 from the goal, or down 12 from where you had gotten and even further from the goal?

Surprising to some, riding a bunch and not eating a lot can have a serious impact on weight gain.  I was thinking the other day that if I didn't ride, I'd be in trouble!

Want to really lose weight?  Sell your car.  There is no car available for me most of the time.  He has offered to buy me one, and I refuse. 

<Note:  this only works for people that live close to work.  No offense to others.  You do you!>

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

59 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Dog Food GIF

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I dropped from 297 lb on Jan. 1 to the mid-280's and stayed there for a while, then began to drop again steadily to 274 and I've leveled off again.  My meds vary according to blood sugar levels and that, plus things like salt consumption, affect water weight so I can go up or down a few pounds/day.  So I don't really know my weight unless I average it over a couple weeks.

But it comes down to Calories-absorbed vs Calories-burned.  That's why I'm been doing a lot of stew and soup threads, to cut calories, making six meals at a time, eating some and freezing some.  The Beef Stew recipe I recently posted gets made later this week. A 24 oz. serving

Ideally, I'll be able to get into the 260's by New Years and 239 by the end of 2023.

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

Down twelve from where I had gotten. At my oncology appointment this morning she said I was the same weight as three months ago.

You'll gain a few over winter, I bet, but you may have just reset "normal" for you.  Sure, you're tall and lean, but maybe that's just where you are going to be from now on?

I do think, from a cancer (and some other health issues) fighting perspective, having a bit of "extra" weight is a GOOD thing, since appetite is often one of those things you lose while fighting something or in chemo.  You know that, so try to get to the optimal weight that you think is best for you.  Since doctors are often looking at all patients as "typical Americans", what they are suggesting or recommending might not be what's best for a fit and tough American like you. :dontknow:

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was only on it for a few days, and was none too happy with what it did to me. I affected how I rode on the bike, how my clothes fit and how I felt when I walked.  Maybe I was a little depressed that it came back.  Fight the beast!

Congrats! You fought well. Hopefully over time, you don't have to think much about sustaining your desired weight.  Drugs are a bummer on weight gain.