Please put on your thinking cap and don't suggest upgrading computer.

sheep_herder

Friend has a rather new Android phone through T-Mobile, but has a 13-year old laptop. When trying to download photos, his choices for how or where are only related to the phone, not the laptop. Can he get around this my using one of the phone adapted memory sticks and the inserting the memory stick into the computer. I suggested he go to the library and use one of their newer computers. Thank you for your thoughts.

10 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Friend has a rather new Android phone through T-Mobile, but has a 13-year old laptop. When trying to download photos, his choices for how or where are only related to the phone, not the laptop. Can he get around this my using one of the phone adapted memory sticks and the inserting the memory stick into the computer. I suggested he go to the library and use one of their newer computers. Thank you for your thoughts.

The memory card might be possible.  How about a direct cable phone to computer connection?  I transfer from Iphone SE to laptop via Apple to USB cable.  The phone looks like a drive to the computer.

• Heart 2

At work I e-mail pics from my phone to the computer

The company phone doesn't have a good enough connection to send pics, so I use my personal phone. We are not allowed to connect to the company system with anything, so I e-mail the pics to myself and get them in the system that way.

• Heart 1

There is a procedure to use your laptop and phone together through the USB cable. I do it from time to time. You have to tell the phone to use the USB cable to transfer files. You can then open the files in the phone with the computer, same as another drive. Here is a link I found but did not test.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9064445?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwindows-computer

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

How about a direct cable phone to computer connection?

I do this when I want to download my photos from my old Android Galaxy S7 phone to my even older laptop running Windows 10 via a USB cable.

I just unplug the 120 volt power adapter from the phone's USB cable and plug the cable into my laptop and into the phone.   I allow access to the phone from the computer (or vise versa) if asked. 

Then the phone's folders are in Windows to use.  I can copy/paste (drag/drop) etc...   the photos into any folder location on the laptop.

image.png.1b9e3f488e017386b8dbf5ea048650a8.png

• Thank You 1

@sheep_herder  Also tell our friend. When the phone is connected to the computer,   Do NOT to delete any of the phone's folders.   

If I would tell Windows to delete the folder named    Bob Galaxy S7/ Phone   That would most likely brick the phone.  

I have never deleted a folder in my android phone, that I didn't create.    I don't want to find out if my phone will die of not. 

• Thank You 1

While I have similar with Apple Phone and Windows computer I typically use (on my MacBook Pro right now, as traveled to son's in CT). If I take a phone picture I want to post here, email it to myself. For larger groups of pictures, now have a Synology NAS, but previously the free version of Dropbox which you can keep free by deleting off Dropbox after downloading. The other thing I have never tried and resist entrenching in Adobe, I presume you have Lightroom CC and the work can be shared through Adobe's cloud structure.

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

For you.  And then you tell him how to get the pictures where he wants them based on all your new knowledge from this thread.

I have already shared the information, along with some from other sources. Last week he acted on my suggestion and worked on the computers at the local library.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I have already shared the information, along with some from other sources. Last week he acted on my suggestion and worked on the computers at the local library.

I would have suggested checking his phone for a microSD card slot (not the phone's "SIM" card slot).  One of the main selling points of Android is that "external" storage option, and I would think the photos could be moved there if not there already.  Then, pop out the microSD and put it into the computer (using a SD adapter or USB doodad).

I'm pretty sure @MickinMD talked about his Android and external card several times over the years.

Ex for a Samsung of some sort:

and:

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, Kirby said:

This may not work for him, but I upload pics from my phone directly to an online photo service like shutterfly.

This.  I think that they have an app you can download.  Upload all of your pics to the app and then download the ones you want onto the PC.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I would have suggested checking his phone for a microSD card slot (not the phone's "SIM" card slot).  One of the main selling points of Android is that "external" storage option, and I would think the photos could be moved there if not there already.  Then, pop out the microSD and put it into the computer (using a SD adapter or USB doodad).

My Android  (Galaxy S7) had a microSD card installed. It looks like (from the Files app) it must be a 64GB memory card.  I can't remember.... 

I have never removed the card.  I load apps (that allow this) on the microSD card.  If I remove the card... that may blow up the app. (or not)  I don't want to find out.    My pictures are on the card too.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, sheep_herder said:

If the 13 year-old laptop has a USB port, there are USB A to USB C cords, typically 1' to 3' long, that plug into the Android phone's port and the other end into the computer's USB port.  If the laptop has Windows, even old Windows the early 2000's, a popup should appear after the phone is connected to the computer asking what app you want the phone to work with and Explorer is the choice wanted.  Otherwise, launch Windows Explorer.

Windows Explorer will treat the Phone's built-in memory as a hard drive and any SDHC memory card as another hard drive.  You can move files back and forth between the computer and the phone, including picture files.  That's what I do.  I can simply drag the pictures from the phone to whatever folder I want on the computer, or use photo software and directly load the picture into them from the phone since the computer just treats it like a hard drive.

If the laptop runs Apple iOS, then it should have a similar app to handle files.

image.png.6e6ccacc41a1213b52be10aa64a690c5.png