Fact checking

Square Wheels

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

has ruined conversations.

In the pre-cell phone days, you could make an outrageous comment and debate it with friends for hours.

Today, someone pulls out their phone and tells you you're wrong, and the conversation is over.

Wrong.

I just Googled this and found that 61.8% of facts on the internet are inaccurate

• Heart 2

Quite honestly, the long conversations with good friends, we get past / seldom have outrageous remarks. Most of the time phone use is for:  checking restaurants, taking or looking at photos.

I know-- am boring, friends are boring, yaddy-da-da

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Quite honestly, the long conversations with good friends, we get past / seldom have outrageous remarks. Most of the time phone use is for:  checking restaurants, taking or looking at photos.

I know-- am boring, friends are boring, yaddy-da-da

It doesn't have to be outrageous in a contentious manner.

For instance, "My brother just bought an awesome 1965 Camaro!".

In the days of old, you'd argue back and forth for 10 minutes about when the first Camaro came out.  Maybe one of you would go to the library and look it up when it opened.

Today someone pulls out their phone, tells you the first one was made in 1966, conversation over.

• Confused 1

I was having a conversation with two friends and we were discussing a tv show where we couldn't remember the name. We wondered how long we could go trying to let the name just occur to us before we would look it up . FYI, the answer was16 hours. 

The show was " that show about the rodeo clown who studied clowning in France. You know, Louie Anderson played the mother"  Answer: 

Spoiler

Baskets

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Today someone pulls out their phone, tells you the first one was made in 1966, conversation over.

Are you making that up or do we need to fact check it?

And first one "made" vs "first model year sold" or even "first one to roll off the production line" make your points a bit squishy for my liking.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

And first one "made" vs "first model year sold" or even "first one to roll off the production line" make your points a bit squishy for my liking.

Perfect example, this would have been an hour long conversation as a kid.

• Thank You 1

Some recent topics with friends, time spent with each friend:  2-3 hrs. 

*Chicago visitors:  about Banff-Lake Louise. I didn't show/pull out Internet info. I already emailed stuff to 1 of them earlier.  Anything  about Chicago was generic..vague plans. Our general life backgrounds and where we lived, worked.

*Long-time Toronto friend:  about movie we saw (French movie about artistry of French gastronomy, love relationship), family food memories, her upcoming trip and mine.  A little about local politics.  I can't remember.... we've been spending time with each other, nearly weekly before she returns to Toronto.

I dunno....I only use my phone for photos or checking a restaurant. :flirtyeyess:  when with friends.  

13 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I was having a conversation with two friends and we were discussing a tv show where we couldn't remember the name. We wondered how long we could go trying to let the name just occur to us before we would look it up . FYI, the answer was16 hours. 

The show was " that show about the rodeo clown who studied clowning in France. You know, Louie Anderson played the mother"  Answer: 

Hide contents

Baskets

4 seconds.

My son, SIL and I often talk sports and I’ll reference players from the past that they of course never heard of or never watched play and we’ll look up stats or I’ll have the. YouTube the person.  They can’t wrap their heads around a Walter Payton, or Lynn Swan, Reggie Jackson or even MJ but seeing them play or looking up stats somewhat enriches our discussions.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My son, SIL and I often talk sports and I’ll reference players from the past that they of course never heard of or never watched play and we’ll look up stats or I’ll have the. YouTube the person.  They can’t wrap their heads around a Walter Payton, or Lynn Swan, Reggie Jackson or even MJ but seeing them play or looking up stats somewhat enriches our discussions.  

That’s me. We have a large age discrepancy in our office. I will make an old pop culture reference and either they or I will look it up so they understand. It actually has helped our conversations. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Today, someone pulls out their phone and tells you you're wrong, and the conversation is over.

I have a friend who does this all the time.  I'll ask him a question, and if he doesn't have the answer he immediately pulls his phone out.  I've even told him a number times it wasn't that important and he didn't need to look it up.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, a bunch of numbers said:

I have a friend who does this all the time.  I'll ask him a question, and if he doesn't have the answer he immediately pulls his phone out.  I've even told him a number times it wasn't that important and he didn't need to look it up.

Give it a few years, and the chips in our brains (not the COVID ones, but the ones we elect to implant) will take care of that in the "background" and no phones will be needed. :dontknow:

• Heart 1