Does food just ever not taste good to you?

Randomguy

I am trying to lose weight by not eating anywhere near as much as I used to, but now I am finding that most things that I had been eating regularly just don't taste as good now.

Does this mean that I was mostly eating out of pure habit?  Maybe it means my body is seeking a lower set point and is saying I don't need so much food, I dunno.  Right now I am eating steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, and I added a little honey, walnuts, and blueberries, and it is just falling flat and maybe even tastes a little metallic.

What gives?

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

I would like to lost about 4-5 lbs.  I know to do that I need to quit snacking in the evening. 

as for food not tasting right, with me it becomes what do I want .....   what sounds good. right now that is a tough question to answer.

No, I dont want to go out for food, at least not very often

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I am trying to lose weight by not eating anywhere near as much as I used to, but now I am finding that most things that I had been eating regularly just don't taste as good now.

Does this mean that I was mostly eating out of pure habit?  Maybe it means my body is seeking a lower set point and is saying I don't need so much food, I dunno.  Right now I am eating steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, and I added a little honey, walnuts, and blueberries, and it is just falling flat and maybe even tastes a little metallic.

What gives?

A good thing for eating less. Maybe add even more berries in morning.

It has not solved my sweet tooth.  As I've said in other threads, basically over past 15 yrs. my body has wound down to needing only 2 meals --breakfast and 1 other meal.  I eat snacks here and there, which can be problematic.  And finish eating supper by approx. 6:00 pm or way earlier.  Even finish by 5:00 pm.

31 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

A good thing.

It has not solved my sweet tooth.  As I've said in other threads, basically over past 15 yrs. my body has wound down to needing only 2 meals --breakfast and 1 other meal.  I eat snacks here and there, which can be problematic.  And finish eating supper by approx. 6:00 pm or way earlier.  Even finish by 5:00 pm.

My sweet tooth hasn't really been indulged in two weeks.  If I want something sweet, I will eat an orange.  Maybe that is high in sugar, but in my world, I am allowing myself as much fruit and veg and meat as I want, it is just the other stuff that I have to limit.  Today was the first oatmeal I have had in a while, and I have had one pasta dish and a couple dishes with a little bit of rice in the last couple of weeks, too.  I had bread once, too, on the hotdog from last Sunday.  I kinda miss beer, now, though, I liked the beer I had with the hotdog.

• Heart 3

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

My sweet tooth hasn't really been indulged in two weeks.  If I want something sweet, I will eat an orange.  Maybe that is high in sugar, but in my world, I am allowing myself as much fruit and veg and meat as I want, it is just the other stuff that I have to limit.  Today was the first oatmeal I have had in a while, and I have had one pasta dish and a couple dishes with a little bit of rice in the last couple of weeks, too.  I had bread once, too, on the hotdog from last Sunday.

Yesterday I went out with a friend and I had a ramen noodle soup with chasu pork slices, etc.  Prelude were 2 raw oysters.  Afterwards, I felt sugar-high and a bit awful for few hrs.  It might be the wrong noodle type for me which surprised me. I'm not sure what was used to make that noodle dough. :(   Previously I never felt like that when I ordered the same dish 3 months ago.   It was a Japanese restaurant.

There is a range of pasta types (depending on its dough base), breads that I can't eat because I go into a sugar-crash high.  For instance, for me to have udon noodle is probably not a good idea. I can have rice vermicelli dish, but probably not a good idea for me have same type of carb 3 days in row.

I can't eat a whole slew of national grocery chain breads..my body responds negatively. I need to buy only certain artisan bakery breads. 

I was careful how much rice I had / frequency when travelling in Asia.   I know....but I no longer eat rice at home for past 15 yrs. because of near diabetes 2 test reading I had.

• Hugs 1

I can’t bear the thought of real heavy meals anymore. Things I use to love like fish fries have no appeal. And gloppy cheesy  things like loaded fries, or double decker cheeseburgers have no appeal. It’s probably the Ozempic talking. 

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

What gives?

I lost 45 pounds in the last 9 months.  Thank you to diabetes and Mounjaro.  I'm only eating about 800-900 calories / day.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

Just now, PissedOffLaxDude said:

I lost 45 pounds in the last 9 months.  Thank you to diabetes and Mounjaro.  I'm only eating about 800-900 calories / day.

Wow.  I lost maybe 20.  Was in the 240s, now in the 220s and striving to get to the 210s.  I am on Ozempic.  Was on Ozempic and then Trulicity and then due to scarcity had to move to Rybelsus, which did not work for me.  Back on Ozempic and seeing weight and glucose drop again.  I have to learn to control cravings for bad stuff.  I see weight loss and glucose improvement and I get lazy and eat some crap.  I may try hypnosis to cure my lazy ass.  BTW, is a diabetics thread that some of us have been posting in.

Were you on anything befor Mounjaro?  How is your A1C?  May talk to my doc about Mounjaro is you and Mick and the others here on it see better results.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Wow.  I lost maybe 20.  Was in the 240s, now in the 220s and striving to get to the 210s.  I am on Ozempic.  Was on Ozempic and then Trulicity and then due to scarcity had to move to Rybelsus, which did not work for me.  Back on Ozempic and seeing weight and glucose drop again.  I have to learn to control cravings for bad stuff.  I see weight loss and glucose improvement and I get lazy and eat some crap.  I may try hypnosis to cure my lazy ass.  BTW, is a diabetics thread that some of us have been posting in.

Were you on anything befor Mounjaro?  How is your A1C?  May talk to my doc about Mounjaro is you and Mick and the others here on it see better results.

I was on Jardiance and insulin, still am.  My weight ballooned to 260, I'm down to 215.  A1C went from 9something to 6.9 and I had to have the endocrinologist adjust the basal rate on the insulin pump (Omnipod Dash) because I was getting too many lows.  I'm only at a moderate dosage of Mounjaro too, IIRC 15 mg is the max does and I'm only take 7.5 mg at the moment.  On my next endocrinologist appointment I might ask to go up the 10 mg.  The only real downsides that I've experienced with the Mounjaro is that I have to remind myself to eat, I have almost zero appetite or even ever feel hungry.  I dose on Sunday's, by Friday an appetite/hungry feeling starts to return, so i splurge a bit Friday and Saturday.  When I started on Mounjaro, there were several times that I went 2 days without eating, not great for a diabetic, but I just didn't have an appetite.  Ideally, I'd like to get my weight down to a nice even 200, though several of my friends and my kids are saying I look too thin.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

When I actively work on kicking certain items to the curb..sometimes they just never taste good anymore. Case and point..the Scandinavian bakery near my house..use to get their cinnamon roll as a treat..especially in the winter months..but maybe once a month..stepped away from that habit  and tried one maybe a year later..blah..have not gone back..I think sometimes the body knows :dontknow:

• Hugs 1

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

What does a wk. of 800-900 calories/day look like for you?  Just curious.

It kind of depends on the day.  I don't eat breakfast very often, like maybe once per week, and if I actually eat something for breakfast it's a K'Chava shake with fruit blended in. More often than not breakfast is just a 16 ounce cup of coffee with Chobani creamer.  If I eat lunch it is a couple of slices roasted chicken, turkey or beef and a string cheese. I drink about 50 ounces of water every day.  For dinner one night per week, I make some sort of pasta with either grilled chicken or shrimp, grilled chicken of some sort another day, salmon, cod, or tuna cooked a variety of ways the remaining days and we'll have roasted veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts or some combination there-of).  We will occasionally have a hamburger and fries, but that is maybe once per month, same with a steak with mushrooms, onions and a baked potato.  There's almost always a salad with a homemade dressing with each meal.  We'll have the occasional glass of wine with a dinner here and there.  Monday through Thursday I'll have a couple of non-alcoholic beers, generally one while cooking and one with dinner.  On the weekends, I'll eat a bit more at dinner and drink some real beer, so I splurge.  We only really do take-away or go out for dinner 2 maybe 3 times per month. 

The biggest changes are really due to not having much of an appetite and feeling fuller faster.  The portions of food I eat are significantly smaller than what I used to eat.  For instance, this past Wednesday I made a homemade Calabrian pasta sauce with grilled chicken and a salad, kind of sounds like a lot of food, but in reality, the portion of pasta was about the size of my fist, the chicken breast was about the size of my open hand, and the salad was a romaine with a Caesar dressing I made, it was about the size of my fist as well.  Of all of that, I ate all of the chicken breast, about half of the pasta, and about half of the salad; I was miserable the rest of the night because of how much I ate.  Last night I made woodfired pizzas.  I ate two of them (homemade pizza sauce, italian sausage, onion, fresh mozzeralla), again, it sounds like a lot, but they were about the size of my hand and I had 4 real beers; outside of the coffee I had in the morning and the water I drank throughout the day, that was all I ate.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have or even share some of the recipes, I say some because a lot of it just in my head and not written down or even with measurements.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, PissedOffLaxDude said:

It kind of depends on the day.  I don't eat breakfast very often, like maybe once per week, and if I actually eat something for breakfast it's a K'Chava shake with fruit blended in. More often than not breakfast is just a 16 ounce cup of coffee with Chobani creamer.  If I eat lunch it is a couple of slices roasted chicken, turkey or beef and a string cheese. I drink about 50 ounces of water every day.  For dinner one night per week, I make some sort of pasta with either grilled chicken or shrimp, grilled chicken of some sort another day, salmon, cod, or tuna cooked a variety of ways the remaining days and we'll have roasted veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts or some combination there-of).  We will occasionally have a hamburger and fries, but that is maybe once per month, same with a steak with mushrooms, onions and a baked potato.  There's almost always a salad with a homemade dressing with each meal.  We'll have the occasional glass of wine with a dinner here and there.  Monday through Thursday I'll have a couple of non-alcoholic beers, generally one while cooking and one with dinner.  On the weekends, I'll eat a bit more at dinner and drink some real beer, so I splurge.  We only really do take-away or go out for dinner 2 maybe 3 times per month. 

The biggest changes are really due to not having much of an appetite and feeling fuller faster.  The portions of food I eat are significantly smaller than what I used to eat.  For instance, this past Wednesday I made a homemade Calabrian pasta sauce with grilled chicken and a salad, kind of sounds like a lot of food, but in reality, the portion of pasta was about the size of my fist, the chicken breast was about the size of my open hand, and the salad was a romaine with a Caesar dressing I made, it was about the size of my fist as well.  Of all of that, I ate all of the chicken breast, about half of the pasta, and about half of the salad; I was miserable the rest of the night because of how much I ate.  Last night I made woodfired pizzas.  I ate two of them (homemade pizza sauce, italian sausage, onion, fresh mozzeralla), again, it sounds like a lot, but they were about the size of my hand and I had 4 real beers; outside of the coffee I had in the morning and the water I drank throughout the day, that was all I ate.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have or even share some of the recipes, I say some because a lot of it just in my head and not written down or even with measurements.

Have you reached a level of weight maintenance?

Like you, if I I eat any meat dish (3-4 times/month), it is a fistful of meat. It's been like this over last 18 yrs. and must be lean meat. With whatever else to dress it up and veggies, (specific types of) pasta.  

Unlike you, I rarely drink alcohol simply because I'm slightly allergic to alcohol (red flush comes after 6-8 sips of wine). So alcohol imbibing is ie. 5 times annually. And I can't even finish fully the glass of wine. A natural "problem" to prevent weight gain.

Have never tracked my calorie intake. But probably I'm ingesting closer to 2,000/day or less as norm.  In past 20 yrs. I need to have breakfast but will then only need 2nd meal.  Am an early rise and henc, ttend to cycle first thing (when there is no snow) in morning. I need food to boost me.  Then brunch or supper. I snack in between, some of it not great..ie. light pastry or other.  So need to work on that.  Since retirement, I aim to finish eating supper by 5:00 pm or so. Eat little else (maybe a yogurt with) and drink tea before bed. It has helped prevent the winter weight gain I used to get.

Rarely make salads...I guess it's habit. I stir fry or steam veggies.  60% of home cooking very strongly reflects influence of Chinese home-cooked (which is VERY different than restaurants) food I grew up on and I find easiest to prep. As a result at home, I don't need butter in my dishes at home.   Mindless to me for prep.  

Always have some skim milk (which tastes better in CAnada), yogurt daily. I have cheese slices several times/month. Not cheddar...more different European varieties. 

On 3/30/2024 at 10:26 AM, shootingstar said:

Have you reached a level of weight maintenance?

I have, like most though the extra weight I want to lose is being stubborn and doesn't want to come off.

thx for your fulsome answer,

You're very welcome.

17 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Due to unforeseen circumstances my mouth feels like it's been acid dipped and I've lost about 75% of my taste.  I thought this was one of the symptoms that had gone away with the modern vid variants.

Same here. Lost 35lbs in the last year.