getting a new crapper

bikeman564™

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

They should have various ones set up in the johns for test drives., in lieu of the industrial standard terlet.

We just were out shopping a few weeks ago. One plumbing showroom had that. Well not a bunch of toilets but everything you would find in a bathroom. Really nice sink, shower with steam,towel warmer and toilet w remote control. Heated seat, auto up down a n d I don't know what all. I liked it a lot. But got to thinking about the electricity next to that moving water......next to ME!

Definitely recommend the comfort height with the oval bowl. Give the boys some room to move

• Heart 1

The existing bolts and seals can be replaced but there is a risk of breaking the tank.  There is also a risk, it is already cracked, thus the leak. 

One piece are more difficult to install due to size and weight.  They are a lot nicer for cleaning and in my opinion are better looking.   Make sure you get a flushing mechanism that works reliably and is easily replaceable.  Make sure the inside of the trap is glazed.  

Check the method of water volume control.  Some have a fixed elevated mechanism that does not allow flush water volume control. 

I prefer 1 piece but they are a little more expensive and heavier to move if you are doing the install.  The higher seats are easier to get up from as you age as others have suggested and the oval bowl is better suited to men although the 3 women in my house prefer them as well. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, team scooter said:

My wife used to put chlorine sanitizers in the tank that would eat away at the gaskets causing them to leak. I vote for fixing the old one. It's probably just an inexpensive rubber gasket.

That is a somewhat easy fix but it sounds like they are ready for a new toilet.  My wife was having trouble getting up off the perfectly functioning toilet in her bathroom so I bought her one of the taller ones they sell now and gave it to her for Christmas. (what a romantic guy).

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The existing bolts and seals can be replaced but there is a risk of breaking the tank.  There is also a risk, it is already cracked, thus the leak. 

One piece are more difficult to install due to size and weight.  They are a lot nicer for cleaning and in my opinion are better looking.   Make sure you get a flushing mechanism that works reliably and is easily replaceable.  Make sure the inside of the trap is glazed.  

Check the method of water volume control.  Some have a fixed elevated mechanism that does not allow flush water volume control. 

I prefer 1 piece but they are a little more expensive and heavier to move if you are doing the install.  The higher seats are easier to get up from as you age as others have suggested and the oval bowl is better suited to men although the 3 women in my house prefer them as well. 

Sounds like you're a plumber at heart. Good points to ponder here!

2 hours ago, Chris... said:

We are in the market for a new crapper too. For some reason my wife wants the one that will flush a bucket of golf balls.

I have 4 of them.  They work although, I have not tried golf balls.  I mean, how would you eat them? :)  The water volume is light but it seems to work. 

I might try the gasket fix, because it should last another 20 years at least that way.  That said, I would never get a new one if all I could find was a low-volume flusher or the explosive one like Petite talked about.  I have never seen a low-volume toilet that didn't have to be flushed twice, and the blast flush just disturbs the peace all the way around.

A heated seat would be nice in the winter, though.

35 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I might try the gasket fix,

Don't disagree, however I have a weird situation. I don't access to those bolts/screws inside the tank. They're covered in a porcelain-like stuff. It sounds unbelievable, but its true. So instead of effing w/ it, I'm replacing the whole thing. It's a 1.5 gpf terlet. I'm planning on upgrading to a higher seat height too though.