Wasting money on fashion & causing more non-biodegradable waste

shootingstar

Don't you like that  --a woman/guy declaring a lot of fashion is a lot of non-biodegradable garbage?

Tell that to a fashionista with over 30 prs. of shoes.  Admission:  I have 12 pairs of shoes (which includes 3 prs. of boots ranging from 7 yrs. old to 5 wks. old   7 yr. lined leather tall boots have shrunken in foot  which sometimes I can barely yank off the boot.) in 1 city and 5 prs. of shoes in another city.  And I don't consider myself a shoe fiend at all.  Some of my shoes are over a decade old but my feet have widened.  :whistle:       2 months ago, I ditched 2 prs. of shoes that were 10 years old.  They were starting to hurt my feet because so worn down.

True, I spend less than $400.00/yr. on fashion --meaning any garment, footwear, jewellery, scarves.  This has been going on for past 5 yrs.  For a woman still in working years....I consider that incredibly thrifty.  And irresponsibly fashion -clueless.  :lol:

I have a lot of clothing that's still quite new. I tend to buy classic cuts and solid colours so that things don't get outdated fast.  Being petite, also automatically prevents me from buying much..alot of stuff doesn't fit me or it looks as if it's for teenager.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Don't you like that  --a woman/guy declaring a lot of fashion is a lot of non-biodegradable garbage?

Tell that to a fashionista with over 30 prs. of shoes.  Admission:  I have 12 pairs of shoes (which includes 3 prs. of boots ranging from 7 yrs. old to 5 wks. old   7 yr. lined leather tall boots have shrunken in foot  which sometimes I can barely yank off the boot.) in 1 city and 5 prs. of shoes in another city.  And I don't consider myself a shoe fiend at all.  Some of my shoes are over a decade old but my feet have widened.  :whistle:       2 months ago, I ditched 2 prs. of shoes that were 10 years old.  They were starting to hurt my feet because so worn down.

True, I spend less than $400.00/yr. on fashion --meaning any garment, footwear, jewellery, scarves.  This has been going on for past 5 yrs.  For a woman still in working years....I consider that incredibly thrifty.  And irresponsibly fashion -clueless.  :lol:

I have a lot of clothing that's still quite new. I tend to buy classic cuts and solid colours so that things don't get outdated fast.  Being petite, also automatically prevents me from buying much..alot of stuff doesn't fit me or it looks as if it's for teenager.

I enjoy second hand stores. You can find great stuff. 

Fit is a problem for everyone. I have a hard time with pants. To fit my legs and butt, the waist ends up huge. They make clothing very ill fitting, unless we are talking sports attire. That fits decently for me.

My wardrobe has completely changed twice this year causing me to spend a fair amount of money in the process. 

1st with the job change I want from suits to casual. Not even "business casual" but just casual.  I had to buy clothes as I stuck out like a sore thumb in dress clothes.

I then lost the weight and had to replace the casual clothes I just bought....

32 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I enjoy second hand stores. You can find great stuff. 

Fit is a problem for everyone. I have a hard time with pants. To fit my legs and butt, the waist ends up huge. They make clothing very ill fitting, unless we are talking sports attire. That fits decently for me.

Fit is a problem for you. Talk around town is that you don't eat enough and are too skinny to fit into clothes properly. Don't try to blame others for your own choices. Eat a box of donuts and thank me later. ?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Old#7 said:

Fit is a problem for you. Talk around town is that you don't eat enough and are too skinny to fit into clothes properly. Don't try to blame others for your own choices. Eat a box of donuts and thank me later. ?

They make the clothes for people that have large waists apparently.  

Lean people are freaks of nature these days.  

• Heart 2

Define wasting money.  I consider it supporting the employment of some lady or 14 yo kid in Bangladesh. 

The vast majority of my clothes get reused.  Shirts, pants, jackets....that I don't wear anymore go to the mission. Worn out jeans become Saturday work jeans.  Worn shirts become paint rags.  Socks and underwear might have already bio-degraded by the time I'm done with them. :)

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Socks and underwear might have already bio-degraded by the time I'm done with them. :)

:whistle::lol:   Ewwww.

I also wear out those garment items to their death.

My double bedsheet is worn out with a large hole through it. It will be washed and cut up for art paint rags. Same for cheap cotton/poly casual tights I wore down in cycling...that too will become art paint rags.

Having said all this, today I just bought a $20.00CAN long- sleeved shirt for work/casual.  :whistle: It fitted me perfectly which only happens 2% of the time for me.:loveshower: Navy blue with white small stars all over. It looks very sharp on me.

As for used clothing from used /consignment shops:  I never wanted to buy 2nd hand clothing 'cause it reminds me of really tough times, growing up. A lot of my clothing was handed down to younger siblings...until they got bigger than me.  You can be certain they don't go to 2nd hand shops because of same memories. They're like me, wearing out their own clothing or giving to Salvation Army. I'm the smallest in my family, even though I am the eldest and there are 5 of us.

Myself and 4 sisters all sewed our own clothing until our mid-30's or so. Mother taught us as teens,..so it kept the fashion bill lower.  We are actually accomplished seamstresses --some their own wedding dresses, lined jackets, jean-cord pants with French seams, etc.

It is possible to dress elegantly @ low prices, if you understand how to look for quality in cut, fabric and style. 

My motto is:  Being healthy and fit, is the strongest fashion statement you could ever make.  

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

They make the clothes for people that have large waists apparently.  

Lean people are freaks of nature these days.  

I think we've discussed this but I think clothing sizes have changed.  I am the same weight and size I was around 8 years ago.  I wore LG shirts, 36" waist. 36" pants fit me well now but most LG shirts are too large.

I just got fitted for new work shirts and got Mediums?  I've never worn Medium, even when in the Army i was a large shirt..

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

:whistle::lol:   Ewwww.

I also wear out those garment items to their death.

My double bedsheet is worn out with a large hole through it. It will be washed and cut up for art paint rags. Same for cheap cotton/poly casual tights I wore down in cycling...that too will become art paint rags.

Having said all this, today I just bought a $20.00CAN long- sleeved shirt for work/casual.  :whistle: It fitted me perfectly which only happens 2% of the time for me.:loveshower: Navy blue with white small stars all over. It looks very sharp on me.

As for used clothing from used /consignment shops:  I never wanted to buy 2nd hand clothing 'cause it reminds me of really tough times, growing up. A lot of my clothing was handed down to younger siblings...until they got bigger than me.  You can be certain they don't go to 2nd hand shops because of same memories. They're like me, wearing out their own clothing or giving to Salvation Army. I'm the smallest in my family, even though I am the eldest and there are 5 of us.

Myself and 4 sisters all sewed our own clothing until our mid-30's or so. Mother taught us as teens,..so it kept the fashion bill lower.  We are actually accomplished seamstresses --some their own wedding dresses, lined jackets, jean-cord pants with French seams, etc.

It is possible to dress elegantly @ low prices, if you understand how to look for quality in cut, fabric and style. 

My motto is:  Being healthy and fit, is the strongest fashion statement you could ever make.  

Beans and rice, remind me of those days.  We ate that way too much for four years while my husband went to school.  I only recently have been able to eat it again.  I was so over beans and rice.

• Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Beans and rice, remind me of those days.  We ate that way too much for four years while my husband went to school.  I only recently have been able to eat it again.  I was so over beans and rice.

I'm sure you have such "fond" memories.

After I finished my master's university degree, guess what I was given as gift from parents?  A new sewing machine....I didn't ask for anything.  So I sewed my business clothing for the next decade...I did enjoy sewing.  Going into a fabric large shop is like going into art supplies store...I get inspired by going into both types of shops. Gets my imagination/creativity going.

Then the cycling bug bit me..and I got lazy. Sewing machines needs some servicing since it skips abit, etc.

I don't have much. A lot of work clothes, I can go about 3 weeks between washing. 1 x 2 year old suit, a bunch of nice golf shirts from ~20 years ago.

Not much into shoes: 3 pairs of work boots, hiking type boots, 3 pairs of athletic shoes (old, mid, new), a few pairs of casual shoes, 2  pairs of dress shoes and a pair of Lucchese boots

I replace work clothes as they get worn looking. My job is with the public so I need to look somewhat professional. 

I’m not necessarily a fashion horse, but like to look good when we go out. Finding clothes that fit me isn’t as hard as finding clothes that look “right”. If I find something I like, I will buy a few in different colors because I may not find anything else I like for a while. 

I pay attention to what I no longer wear. It either becomes yard work/garage wear or I donate it. 

The issue of microplastics from polyester fleecy jackets, polluting our wates....has been researched recently:  https://www.outsideonline.com/2179411/your-fleece-jacket-pollutes-ocean-heres-possible-fix

I guess that means more smooth polyester outdoor sports jackets.  I confess, that I like some tight weave fleecy jackets. 

Maybe one day I'll ask someone in our landfill sites on tour, about how long polyester or even cotton clothing finally degrades to threads...  It's probably shockingly a long time.

(I've been on a tour of one of our city's largest landfill sites. It's just amazing what goes on...)

I appreciate the concept that some folks want only vinyl purses, etc. because real leather comes from animals. But then vinyl is a plastic...  Anyway these days, a belt sometimes is just a thin layer with synthetic base... 

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The issue of microplastics from polyester fleecy jackets, polluting our wates....has been researched recently:  https://www.outsideonline.com/2179411/your-fleece-jacket-pollutes-ocean-heres-possible-fix

I guess that means more smooth polyester outdoor sports jackets.  I confess, that I like some tight weave fleecy jackets. 

Maybe one day I'll ask someone in our landfill sites on tour, about how long polyester or even cotton clothing finally degrades to threads...  It's probably shockingly a long time.

(I've been on a tour of one of our city's largest landfill sites. It's just amazing what goes on...)

I appreciate the concept that some folks want only vinyl purses, etc. because real leather comes from animals. But then vinyl is a plastic...  Anyway these days, a belt sometimes is just a thin layer with synthetic base... 

http://www.patagonia.com/recycled-polyester.html

I don't care at all about fashion.  I get some stuff as gifts, I rarely buy stuff.  If I like it, I wear it until it's worn out or give it away.  My fashion budget is maybe $200 a year, that includes shoes, clothes, underwear...

Bike clothes are similar.  Crazy expensive, but the stuff lasts.  I never need another jersey.  I bought 5 or pair of socks when I first started riding, still have all of them.

Running stuff, the same.  A pair of running shorts might be $40, but they will last 10 years.  I have 5 running shorts, it's likely I'll never buy new ones.

I care very little about fashion.  I do care about being dressed correctly for the day ahead.  This is sometimes hard in my work because I may need classroom appropriate clothing at 9 and a Board appropriate suit at 2.  You may remember that my closet also had the curse of the Kirby.  When rebuilding, I donated 6 big bags of clothes including about 15 sweaters.  I have a bit of a sweater addiction.

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Bike clothes are similar.  Crazy expensive, but the stuff lasts.  I never need another jersey.  I bought 5 or pair of socks when I first started riding, still have all of them.

Running stuff, the same.  A pair of running shorts might be $40, but they will last 10 years.  I have 5 running shorts, it's likely I'll never buy new ones.

I don' jog so I don't know about running and longevity of clothing.  But for sure, cycling clothing, especially jerseys last me a long time.  I still wear jerseys often from 15 years ago.

I buy new clothes two to four times a year, and send my cast offs to charity at the same time.  I dress professionally for work and have since college...although the definition of professional dress has relaxed over the last 25 years.

I doubt I have any socks or underwear that is a year old.  Turn those over regularly.