No Fixie

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I took my road bike in to the shop for an overhaul.  Long overdue.  While taking it to the car I noticed the rear wheel was out of true.  Well, truing the wheels was part of the overhaul deal.

The mechanic at the shop looked a the wheel and peeled back the decal, thus discovering the real reason for the wobble.  No fixing that.  I was downcast, as the rims I have on this bike roll like lightning - I don't know why, but they do.  (Theoretical physics says the weight of the rider is not a factor, supposedly.)  Anyway, the guys I ride with have bikes of much higher caliber than this one, and on the downhills my bike would just roll right past theirs.

It's probably time, as the rims are original and I bought the bike in 1994. 

0111181227.jpg.b00e7891d3a0c5584e5659e3b95c8a4c.jpg

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I took my road bike in to the shop for an overhaul.  Long overdue.  While taking it to the car I noticed the rear wheel was out of true.  Well, truing the wheels was part of the overhaul deal.

The mechanic at the shop looked a the wheel and peeled back the decal, thus discovering the real reason for the wobble.  No fixing that.  I was downcast, as the rims I have on this bike roll like lightning - I don't know why, but they do.  (Theoretical physics says the weight of the rider is not a factor, supposedly.)  Anyway, the guys I ride with have bikes of much higher caliber than this one, and on the downhills my bike would just roll right past theirs.

mass cancels out going down hill

I always tell my wife my bike rolls better downhill because I weigh more but I really can't explain it. I know data suggests this isn't so but I just don't know why I coast so much faster than her. She has high end wheels and similar tire/tube set up as I do but I just go faster coasting. 

I  sometimes ride with these guys and we always have a coast down hill challenge on this long straight hill. Well regroup at the top and then all take off together at the same pace and coast.  I've never lost that "race". 

Can't explain it... 

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Seems like you got good life out of them. Sucks but it happens... I had it happen on two rear wheels over the years.  I replaced the wheels when I saw numerous hairline cracks develop around the eye as I figured what happened here was the next step.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

My gosh what's the issue here?  Put the decal back on.  It's only the real wheel.  Now if it was the front wheel I'd be concerned.

I believe the "mechanic" ruined the rim when he ripped off that load bearing decal.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ty Coon said:

I believe the "mechanic" ruined the rim when he ripped off that load bearing decal.

I was going to mention that but I didn't want to be responsible for putting the thought into Tadepole Kiddelhopper's head that his attorney should be involved.  But now that you have......

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I was going to mention that but I didn't want to be responsible for putting the thought into Tadepole Kiddelhopper's head that his attorney should be involved.  But now that you have......

I bet Ty could have Wilbur fly an attorney out to help poor Thatrimis Kraptasticlyscrewed out.

• Heart 2